Maintenance Minder - seems long. Really long.

1. dave00str

dave00str Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Car(s):
    Civic
    2019 Si, 19.7K
    I've gone 10,218 miles on my current oil.
    The Maintenance minder is still showing 60%.
    A linear extrapolation puts that over 20k. Does that sound right?

I do mostly highway driving. My 2014 Accord Sport never went longer than 10k on identical driving patterns.

2. joshhjackson2112

joshhjackson2112 Senior Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Car(s):
    18' SI
    #2 joshhjackson2112, Jul 14, 2019 at 9:16 AM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    Your are going to get a lot of different opinions from a lot of different people. It will most likely start a fight but I am going to say it anyways. :stirthepot:
    The maintenance minder is crap and I don't use it. I change my oil every 4k miles. It will show 70% or 80% oil life when I change it. I usually don't have to reset it until the 3rd change. I change my own oil. When it is drained, it is really really black. I could personally not wait the 10k or more miles before changing. I gave up the free oil changes for life that came with my purchase. It would have to be like 15% or under oil life before you can get the free change. It's only 60 bucks for a change. I do 4 oil changes a year. 240 bucks a year is not a big savings to me. I now welcome the negative comments!:nixon:

3. theblackdogman

theblackdogman Senior Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Sport
    BAHAHAHA!

4. OP
    dave00str

dave00str Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Car(s):
    Civic
    4k is a little early on a good synthetic. But you do what makes you comfortable.
    All sorts of oil analysis supports this. I haven't done an analysis on the civic yet, but both my Accord and Mazda 3 said the same thing..i can go at least 8k before I see any degradation in oil performance.

5. silverrascal

silverrascal Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Sonic Gray Pearl Hatch EX
    Yeah, MM seems to always bring up debates. lol.

That said, I like it and use it as a good guide.

But there’s no law that says you can’t change the oil or rotate tires AT YOUR DISCRETION. Highway driving is arguably less wear on the engine as opposed to the stop and start type of driving. Thus is probably why MM is showing a slower reduction in percentage of oil life.

But check the oil level and clarity and if it looks like it needs to be changed then go for it. Otherwise keep on truckin’.

6. turbociv910

turbociv910 Member

First Name:
    taylor
    Car(s):
    19 SI, 99 ex b20v
    truth. a synthetic can go 7500-10000 miles.

7. fjrman

fjrman Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
    I changed the oil at 6K mile intervals in my old four cylinder Accord. Used non-synthetic oil. Typically 5w-20.

Accumulated 210K miles. Still running fine when sold. It consumed a small amount of oil but never enough to need an add in 6K miles.

Concern about engine oil is overblown. It's just not that important. If you're running at high rpm often and for extended periods then maybe a bit more concern is warranted. The vast majority of owners don't explore the high rpm range.

Gruber thanked this.
  8. Gruber

Gruber Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
    OK, here it goes:
    Negative Comment::bat:
    If you spend $60 on a DIY oil change, you must be using some expensive oil, which might be advertised for 25 kmiles long life. That's the main reason for the high price.
    With 4 kmile changes you might be using less than 20% of the oil life.

More importantly, if you don't like black oil why do you change it only after it gets really really black? You need to change it monthly to keep it really really nice and clean.

9. joshhjackson2112

joshhjackson2112 Senior Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Car(s):
    18' SI
    I guess you got me there! I may have exaggerated my point a bit. It is not just because of the color. The oil looks and smells like it is due for the change. I buy 0W 20 Mobile 1 Synthetic. I run a tuned ecu with bolt ons. I am sure I burn up my oil more than the typical stock DD. Not to mention that most of my miles are either city or empty twisty country roads. Another reason for the quick oil changes is for the oil dilution that occurs. You know, the other dead horse that is beat to death on this forum. Even if I am only using 20% of the oil life, I am just old school and go off of the philosophy that "oil is cheap but a new engine isn't". Also, I do not think the $60 oil change is a high price. My response was just for fun. My way is not necessarily the "right way". I just wanted to poke the hornets nest a little. I knew this thread was going to be trouble with or without me. :thumbsup:

10. Mikeybc

Mikeybc Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
    Exact same issue here, all highway miles. I change it anyway when I get over 10 - 12,000 kilometres (about 60%). I'd rather have nice clean oil rather than going another 8,000 km on dirty black oil.

joshhjackson2112 thanked this.
  11. Gruber

Gruber Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
    If so, I must withdraw my Negative Comment, because I also use Mobil1 and change it at 5, 6 kmiles max with a completely stock car.
    In my CRV I mosty followed the MM, which gave me about 10 kmile oil changes.

Btw. The OP may soon see the oil life % going down quickly as the first birthday is coming.

joshhjackson2112 thanked this.
  12. latole

latole Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual

Car(s):
    Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
    Long mileage oil is not a problem, the issue is the oil filter, it can be blocked or less effective for keeping carbon residues or other.
    New oil change is cheap. I change at every 5-6K miles, Synthetic only

13. NotSerious

NotSerious Senior Member

First Name:
    No
    Car(s):
    2018CivicLXSedanCVT
    #13 NotSerious, Jul 16, 2019 at 11:21 AM
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019 at 6:51 PM
    The Maintenance Minder's number one variable is "cold starts". The more cold starts, the faster Maintenance Minder ticks down. If you have a long highway commute, the Maintenance Minder will tick down very slowly compared to the miles you put on.

There are many mechanics that advise that turbo-charged/GDI cars should have their oil changed more frequently than naturally aspirated cars. This is due to oil-dilution and the extra heat that turbo-charged/GDI cars generate.

If it was me, I would change the oil every 5k miles.
    I would advise others that you never go over 10k miles without an oil change on a turbo-charged/GDI car.

Mikeybc thanked this.