2. No, change it when noticing wear on brakes

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic HB LX HS
    Hi everyone,

I am at 19k km (12k miles) on my 17' civic hb lx cvt. I brought my car in for an oil change today and the maintenance minder threw the code '9' which means brake servicing.

The maintenance agent advised me it's not a brake pad replacement but just an inspection of all the brake parts to make sure they are in good condition.

The service charge is $175. I drove my car probably 95% hwy with my ultimate goal of using only engine braking to stop.

Is this a service I should have agreed to accept? Let me know what you guys think.

2. 360glitch

360glitch Moderator

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Sedan
    $175 for a brake inspection?

No way. You could probably get that done for free at many shops, it's also something you can very easily do yourself. (remove wheel, look at rotors/pads)

LeaveEarly thanked this.
  3. Trooper

Trooper Senior Member

First Name:
    Larry R
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic EX-T
    You should have your brakes taken apart cleaned etc every 2 years. The rest of this service is just inspection as you will see. Call around for prices. I just got it done for a way less than $175 at a local garage. I didn't do this service once on another vehicle and had a rear brake seize up and it cost me around $500 for the repairs. So now I have this service done every 2 years. I live in Ontario Canada and they like to use sand and salt during the winter months.

4. fitter_here

fitter_here Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic LX 2016 Sedan
    The most important thing to do is to lubricate your caliper pins (front & rear), it doesn't take long to do

5. Fountainhead

Fountainhead Senior Member

First Name:
    ray
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Type R
    If you don't know how to judge your brake's condition then I would pay someone.
    When I lived in PA the biggest problem I had on my Accord was on the rear calipers the salt wouldn't mess with the caliper pins (although I did check and lube them) but it rusted the bottom of the brake pad to the caliper body and caused the pad to tilt. This caused a jerking motion when braking. I just changed the pads and applied brake lube. Didn't damage the Rotors.
    Since you live in the rust belt I'd get them looked at, either by yourself with someone teaching/helping you or a mechanic.

6. Trooper

Trooper Senior Member

First Name:
    Larry R
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic EX-T
    I totally agree with you. Don't service them (brakes) and later pay a heck of a lot more than the service costs of taking them apart cleaning up the rust and applying lubrication. It's not hard or expensive to do.

7. Dario1101

Dario1101 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX-MODEL
    How does one maintain the brake system by doing it themselves? Lubricate caliper guide pins, change pads, clean the rotor; am I missing anything else?

8. Trooper

Trooper Senior Member

First Name:
    Larry R
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic EX-T
    My mechanic takes the caliper off, cleans the slid area and pins, lube's them a(long with the metal back of the pads) and puts everything back together again. He also checks for any part that needs replacing. The lube he used was purple in colour. This way they don't tend to seize up on you. That's it. Simply preventive maintenance that should cost a fortune like a dealership charges you. Here is an excellent video on how to do it :

Whiting087 and Dario1101 thanked this.
  9. Dario1101

Dario1101 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX-MODEL
    Thank you very much for this! I can't wait to do my brakes at the same time I do my oil change in December. How exciting!