Marty123

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
So I passed 5k miles and I'm still at 50% oil life according to the maintenance minder from the car. I drive 25 miles each way to work mostly on freeways. Should I be concerned or not really? Just wait till 15-10% before oil change?
Sponsored

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Are any of you running full synthetic?

The reason I ask this is because a lot of manufacturers have extended the oil change frequency way out on mileage. Some as far as 15k miles! People much smarter than I am have said that is too far and possibly a marketing ploy. I personally don't know. I do know that the oil is your engine's life blood. If it becomes contaminated with dirt, fuel, moisture, wear metals or starting to break down by heat cycles it can do slow motion damage to the internals of the engine. To me it is cheap insurance to change the oil around 5k miles and those running out to when the car is telling you to change it should do an oil analysis to see how the oil survived. I would/will do full synthetic only. The CTR is a turbo engine...right? Price of playing! To each his/her own.

Last edited:

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag

The reason I ask this is because a lot of manufacturers have extended the oil change frequency way out on mileage. Some as far as 15k miles! People much smarter than I am have said that is too far and possibly a marketing ploy. I personally don't know. I do know that the oil is your engine's life blood. If it becomes contaminated with dirt, fuel, moisture, wear metals or starting to break down by heat cycles it can do slow motion damage to the internals of the engine. To me it is cheap insurance to change the oil around 5k miles and those running out to when the car is telling you to change it should do an oil analysis to see how the oil survived. I would/will do full synthetic only. The CTR is a turbo engine...right? Price of playing! To each his/her own.
I've found, at least in my area, that 0W-20 oil is only sold as full synthetic.

Ladyluck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag

The first oil change should be followed accordingly as the original oil contains additives to protect the engine during its break in period. After that, if you wish to replace it sooner than the maintenance minder, go nuts...although its just a waste of money IMO. It's your car, do with it what you wish.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
It all depends on environmental conditions (temperature) and how you drive the car. I have had the Honda Maintenance Minder in my life since 2010 and it is quite reliable. My new Civic only made it to just shy of 12,000 km (7450 mi) before it finally read 5%.

Generally, I find that the oil life % will fall faster towards the end so you may find that when you get to 6000, it drops to 25% or lower. But otherwise, you should still be perfectly fine. When I got the 2010 CRV I asked a lot of questions about this tech of the service manager and he told me that it uses sensors combined with engine logging to make the determinations and that in some cases with some drivers, it is not impossible to make it to almost 9500 mi before hitting the 5% life left.

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
I tend to think the mileage you get from your oil depends HEAVILY upon how you drive the car, i'm about to cross 5k miles and my maintenance minder just popped the other day so I scheduled an appointment at the dealer to do amsoil swap for oil and trans fluid. If you don't drive the car hard then I can see no reason why you wouldn't just keep running until the car tells you to change the oil, on the other hand if you are like me you will likely be changing the oil every 3k miles because boost and I cant stay out of it please help me! the sole reason why I have not changed the oil until now is because of the additives for the break in period, I simply followed the manual and let the car tell me when to do the first oil change.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Can someone explain what parameters the oil minder uses as inputs to determine when you need an oil change?

Never mind. I asked Mr. Google. The info was on a Honda dealer website. Full synthetic is not recommended(?). Much of what I read was marketing stuff: "We know best, Trust Honda, Cheaper for you, Good for the environment,... It would be interesting to have an educated oil/engine expert discuss these issues and recommendations. I apologize for asking stupid questions.

Last edited:

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Can someone explain what parameters the oil minder uses as inputs to determine when you need an oil change?

Never mind. I asked Mr. Google. The info was on a Honda dealer website. Full synthetic is not recommended(?). Much of what I read was marketing stuff: "We know best, Trust Honda, Cheaper for you, Good for the environment,... It would be interesting to have an educated oil/engine expert discuss these issues and recommendations. I apologize for asking stupid questions.
Honda Civic 10th gen Maintenance minder and Oil Changes upload_2018-11-12_12-14-31

sbkhoun

SB`
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Accord CTR
Country flag
Somoe odd reason my MM read 10% at 800 miles :/. Checked the dipstick and the oil was still good/full.

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
So does Honda use full synthetic in their cars? I have always assumed the R is for sure using full synthetic. I am at just over 7K miles and still have I think around 40% if I remember right left.

I just got my wife's pilot serviced and they said they change the pilots with fully synthetic as that is what it calls for. Now I am wondering as a car guy did I just get taken since I didn't take the time to research her car. haha
Sponsored