Shayan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey yall,

My car is 2017 Honda Civic EX-T (currently at about 66k km Milege)
Need your help, I got the maintenance minder for 019. Which are the following;

• Sub-Item 0 - Replace engine oil and filter
  • Sub-Item 1 - Tire Rotation
  • Sub-Item 9: Service front and rear brakes, Check parking brake adjustments, Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots, Inspect driveshaft boots, Inspect brake hoses ad lines (Including ABS/VSA), Check all fluid levels and conditions of fluids, Inspect exhaust system, Inspect fuel lines and connections
Previously got oil change, around 55k milege so sub-item 0 seems reasonable to do. Previously tire rotation was done at around 58k milege so sub-item 1 also seems reasonable to do. However I don't understand why I need to sub-item 9. This same service was previously done at about 46k milege. Do I need to get this maintenance done? How important is it? Should I do it from the dealer or mechanic?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Sub item 9 is a always a cash grab, they're gonna charge you a couple hundred bucks to quickly "inspect" (i.e. look at) a number of items, and make sure your calipers aren't seized. Skip it entirely or find an inexpensive mechanic to do it (record "inspections" done in your logbook).

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man, I had to look up "019" code then realized it's Canadian maintenance code... Why does Honda do this? Why can't they just keep a universal "AB" and "1 thru 7" code for all their models? Are Canadian models drastically different that they need additional coding for this? Do European Hondas have a different code, too?

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Man, I had to look up "019" code then realized it's Canadian maintenance code... Why does Honda do this? Why can't they just keep a universal "AB" and "1 thru 7" code for all their models? Are Canadian models drastically different that they need additional coding for this? Do European Hondas have a different code, too?
1. To make it way harder for grey market import/export between Canada and the USA.
2. In areas of lots of road salt use and/or extremely cold weather, more underbody maintenance is needed. I do the '9' service every spring - in the middle of it now, in fact. Both front calipers have cracked piston seals - a small expense to replace seals, but, if left unserviced, the caliper pistons would seize in a few months and the whole caliper would need replacement.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Honda's Maintenance Minder does not invent anything new.
It's simply the suggested maintenance that we could read in the driver's manual provided with all our cars since 50 (?) years when the onboard computers did not exist.

Some will say that the Maintenance Minder analyzes our driving for a personalized maintenance.
For me this is only an unimportant detail I don't need.

Of course if it's your first car, you have everything to learn and your questions are legitimate

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I’m a 30yr expert in Maintenance systems for industrial food and automotive industries and I love the MM. it is like having an onboard CMMS to ensure the vehicle is taken care of properly (whether by dealer, trusted mechanic or yourself). I deal with enough of this crap at work so I let the dealer take care of these items but only while I have warranty. After warranty I take care of maintenance myself.
Sponsored