spiikey1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS
Country flag
I know a lot of people have asked before, and the short term answer is to just install windows on your mac, or buy a cheap laptop, but would Ktuner offer MAC/apple support?

If so when would they be able to do that?
Sponsored

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can actually install Windows 10 on your Mac for free (if you have Intel based Mac with boot camp). You download the Windows 10 direct from Microsoft and then at the very end you say register later. It takes away some kind of functionality, but nothing you will notice if you are just using it to run KTuner. I just did that. It takes awhile, so set aside some time (you don't need to be sitting there looking at the screen the whole time, but don't do it if you are crunched for time).

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I know a lot of people have asked before, and the short term answer is to just install windows on your mac, or buy a cheap laptop, but would Ktuner offer MAC/apple support?

If so when would they be able to do that?
I believe the issue has to do with Apple not approving generic USB drivers. The odds of Hondata or Ktuner paying to have the USB driver certification......

Bootcamp works, mostly. I have to say this, from personal experience, my $500 Dell laptop works better than my $3000 Macbook Pro when it comes to tuning software. The USB driver under bootcamp windows is problematic. Per Hondata the solution is to unseat and reseat the USB connection until it works. Without exaggerating this would often require dozens of attempts.

farqt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si
Country flag
drivers are not the native support issue. this is probably vaguely (but only vaguely) incorrect, but i think the USB phy is an ftdi 232rl or something. ftdi's drivers are signed etc. the problem with maintaining a port is the same as maintaining almost any other port. large swaths of code would need to be rewritten for the UI port and then two major codebases would need to be maintained. ktuner doesn't ask for anything funky from the OS except for serial comms, but if the serial comms are wrong or the mapping between UI and config is wrong, then ECUs and motors go boom. vote no on unnecessary ports.

OP
OP
spiikey1

spiikey1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS
Country flag
That makes sense then. I'l try get windows then for free on mac for now.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The reason we don't currently have a Mac version is because it's not secure. If we find a way to secure it we may in fact release one.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
The reason we don't currently have a Mac version is because it's not secure. If we find a way to secure it we may in fact release one.
Lol, Steve jobs is rolling on his grave on that one.

farqt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si
Country flag
jobs is well known to not have believed in the notion or importance of computer security.

imo the coolest part of running ktuner is not having to run a laptop in the car, but i can see how on-dyno tuners might prefer to have mac and pc laptop support. for enthusiast/non-pro use, i really don't care, as long as the software is solid.
Sponsored