LX radio replacement thread

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah My pioneer fits just like that. Just gotta pick the correct holes on the side of the radio.

This kit won’t work with higher trims because of the car controls Built-in to the head unit.
Sponsored

Shinjari

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 WOP Civic HB Sport 6MT, '03 Honda CBR600RR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This kit won’t work with higher trims because of the car controls Built-in to the head unit.
Right. Only the non infotainment radios can be replaced. Such as those found in the LX/Sport trim Hatchbacks.

I'm simply stating that some people are installing their aftermarket stereos differently. While using the Metra kit, some select mounting holes that give it that real sunken look, while others have a more flush look. All depends on how you install the headunit.

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
The kit crutchfield sent me was incomplete and the unit for the backup camera was inoperable. I ended up taking it to a shop to finish everything and they had to hardware the backup camera, but it displaying a mirrored image and the resolution and viewing angle of the camera was off so I just turned the camera function off completely. The base backup camera is the same part number as the top of the line civic, so either I’ll do without a backup camera or purchase an aftermarket later on down the road.
Not sure if I ever asked or not....but now that you've had this installed for a little while, can you tell us what functionality you've lost (if any) compared to having the OEM HU?
Or...does everything that normally fed into and used the OEM HU work the same with the Sony? (e.g, steering wheel controls, bluetooth phone connection, etc)

Shinjari

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if I ever asked or not....but now that you've had this installed for a little while, can you tell us what functionality you've lost (if any) compared to having the OEM HU?
Or...does everything that normally fed into and used the OEM HU work the same with the Sony? (e.g, steering wheel controls, bluetooth phone connection, etc)
With my Pioneer and steering wheel controller install.
  • The backup camera still works (although just one view...fisheye, but if I changed the voltage to camera I can change to standard or over head)
  • The volume/change track buttons still work as intended.
  • Source button still changes between AM/FM/CD/DVD/SD Card/Blutooth/AUX
  • If I receive a phone call I can still answer or decline using the steering wheel controls.
    • Though they are switched...I think the 'answer' button hangs up...and the 'hang up' button answers the call. I don't get enough calls to remember but thought it was weird when I went to push answer and it declined the call. YMMV.
    • I cannot use the voice to talk button/feature. So can't press and say "call so and so". I have to go through my phone or go through the head unit.
So to me the only function that I actually miss the use of, is the option to pick the camera view. I feel there is a work around with some voltage regulators and a 3 way analog switch...but it doesnt bother me enough to try and fabricate something.

Dano63

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport manual
Country flag
Any updates? I just bought a 2018 Sport Hatch manual, and am thinking about an aftermarket head unit. Will the backup camera and steering wheel controls work with any aftermarket radios?

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any updates? I just bought a 2018 Sport Hatch manual, and am thinking about an aftermarket head unit. Will the backup camera and steering wheel controls work with any aftermarket radios?

It's possible.

astrazinca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC LX SPORT
Country flag
Hello , every body want to ask if any one can guide me how to connect 7 inch through laptop adapter if its possible

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Certain radios have kept the buttons and cam with the adapter harness. The problem most people have mentioned, since starting this thread, is that the camera feed will usually only show one angle.

blulx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX Coupe
All of this information has been so helpful, but I do have one question hopefully someone has some feedback. I am moving a Kenwood DDX9905s from my old civic to my new LX in the near future, where has everyone been mounting the usb connectors? In my last car I used something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWNZ18N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I don't mind drilling a hold to mount it again in the 2016 civic. I was just curious, I know there's one USB port already in the car, is there an adapter people recommend for it? Thank you.

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
All of this information has been so helpful, but I do have one question hopefully someone has some feedback. I am moving a Kenwood DDX9905s from my old civic to my new LX in the near future, where has everyone been mounting the usb connectors? In my last car I used something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWNZ18N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I don't mind drilling a hold to mount it again in the 2016 civic. I was just curious, I know there's one USB port already in the car, is there an adapter people recommend for it? Thank you.
I used a PAC USB-TY1 to connect the oem usb port. Got mine from Amazon, but can be found cheaper on ebay I believe.

blulx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX Coupe
This thread has been immensely helpful. I'm installing a Kenwood DDX9905s and it has it's own external GPS antenna, I'm just curious if anyone else has installed a unit with a GPS antenna, and where did you mount it? I'd like it to be as stealth as possible.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
With my Pioneer and steering wheel controller install.
  • The backup camera still works (although just one view...fisheye, but if I changed the voltage to camera I can change to standard or over head)
  • The volume/change track buttons still work as intended.
  • Source button still changes between AM/FM/CD/DVD/SD Card/Blutooth/AUX
  • If I receive a phone call I can still answer or decline using the steering wheel controls.
    • Though they are switched...I think the 'answer' button hangs up...and the 'hang up' button answers the call. I don't get enough calls to remember but thought it was weird when I went to push answer and it declined the call. YMMV.
    • I cannot use the voice to talk button/feature. So can't press and say "call so and so". I have to go through my phone or go through the head unit.
So to me the only function that I actually miss the use of, is the option to pick the camera view. I feel there is a work around with some voltage regulators and a 3 way analog switch...but it doesnt bother me enough to try and fabricate something.
The rear-view camera looks as if it has 2 Digital control lines, that are used to select the Camera's View mode.
Do not know what voltage they are, but if you are lucky, it might just be a question of taking them to ground to select the view. You can easily do that with a 3 way switch.

Note: There is only ONE video lead. The video that comes down that One lead is selected at the camera by the 2 digital control wires.

Shinjari

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The rear-view camera looks as if it has 2 Digital control lines, that are used to select the Camera's View mode.
Do not know what voltage they are, but if you are lucky, it might just be a question of taking them to ground to select the view. You can easily do that with a 3 way switch.

Note: There is only ONE video lead. The video that comes down that One lead is selected at the camera by the 2 digital control wires.
Yeah this seems to be the case with the camera....just haven't bothered or tried to do a in line voltage regulator or a 3-way switch. Maybe when/if I upgrade the headunit I'll investigate this.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
This thread has been immensely helpful. I'm installing a Kenwood DDX9905s and it has it's own external GPS antenna, I'm just curious if anyone else has installed a unit with a GPS antenna, and where did you mount it? I'd like it to be as stealth as possible.
There is room for this under the plastic cowl above the instrument cluster.

dgordon7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - 6MT
Country flag
Read the thread entirely, and many thanks for the information and efforts here. I am like a prior poster to this thread being up in Canada and my LX has the upgraded unit with the combined climate controls. Basically I think we're both going to have to work with that setup. Can't see a way around that one - but offering up my option will be to go with this new Alpine upgrade with sub and amp customized for our cars. Just wanted to share. And apologies if old news = https://www.crutchfield.com/g_370550/Factory-System-Upgrades.html?o=f
Sponsored