M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT, 2002 Honda Accord SE 5MT
Country flag
I tried a number of SSD devices, but the Honda would either not recognize them or it would scan the drive each time that took 40-60 seconds to complete, if it didn't just hang, before music played. Further, I found the USB input to only handle MP3 files. Too frustrating!

I agree that if Honda had simply added a 3.5mm audio plug, one could use essentially any playback device.

I finally ended up bypassing the entire system for my 128GB iPod that goes to a DAC, then a DSP, then amplifiers to upgraded speakers and a sub.

For the stock system, I run it through an LC8i 8-channel line output converter that sends an RCA signal to the DSP. It's easy to switch between the two systems.

I now have an excellent system, but it took a lot of $$$ and time. And to think I sprang for the Touring edition to get the "upgraded" stereo. What a joke!

Good luck with your upgrade efforts.
Thank you for your direction and details to improve and in the end have an auxiliary as well! I was planning to add an amp and sub so this all falls in line, cheers.
Can I ask what DSP you used after the LC8i in your Touring?
Another thing is that I have the Canadian Hatchback LX. Here in Canada it comes with the 7" touch infotain 180 watt 8 speaker system
I'm not even sure that it has a factory amp like the Touring and Sport Touring's (?) Anyway if doesn't have a external factory amp I was thinking I can get by with adding just the LC8i with auxiliary (or similar if there's any recommendations?) Unless adding the DSP is highly advised? I would go with just an LC2i or LC7i with their bass boost but neither have auxiliary within them.

I'm open to and looking for suggestions on what to do for my upgrade of the factory system while keeping the OEM headunit.

I'd like:
- use of factory head unit with addition of a LOC so I can do the things below.
- adding the sub and amp that I own already (10" Eclipse and Crossfire amp).
- add an auxiliary port.
- replace factory speakers.
-minor system tweaks and adjustments from LOC/AMP/ and DSP if I do in fact need one for ROI(?)

I've purchased the car and I'm not Leasing but I don't want to cut factory wiring if I don't absolutely have to. My main concern there is voiding it's warranty. I have an extended 7 year 130 km Honda Plus comprehensive. I realized it doing just about anything to it might cause me grief down the road if something were to go wrong within electronics but that is a risk I'm willing to take to improve the sound in this car. I plan to keep it a good long time hence the extended warranty and although I'm not an audiophile per say but I do enjoy my music.

Thanks for the help!

Mike
Sponsored

slo_hatch

slo_hatch
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 6MT Sonic Grey Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found a gloss black dash kit that looks like it will sit flush with the radio unlike the Metra. It's about double the price, but I think it's worth it for the clean look. Here's the link: https://pac-audio.com/catalog/dash-kits/bkhonk842gb.
Honda Civic 10th gen LX radio replacement  thread bkhonk842gb

I've also pulled the trigger on Sony's newest headunit XAV-AX5000. Finally a capacitive touch screen! Pre-ordered on crutchfield, so I won't have it until the end of May.
Honda Civic 10th gen LX radio replacement  thread g158XAV5000-o_other0

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I found a gloss black dash kit that looks like it will sit flush with the radio unlike the Metra. It's about double the price, but I think it's worth it for the clean look. Here's the link: https://pac-audio.com/catalog/dash-kits/bkhonk842gb.
I like the matte black of the metra kit since it matches the a/c controls, but the fit leaves a lot to be desired. Post up once you get the PAC kit installed. I'd be down to change it out if it looks good.

edit: looks like the same thing maybe on ebay for $15.90
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Kit-BKHONK842GB-Mounting-Kit-2016-Honda-Civic-/232714412628

slo_hatch

slo_hatch
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the matte black of the metra kit since it matches the a/c controls, but the fit leaves a lot to be desired. Post up once you get the PAC kit installed. I'd be down to change it out if it looks good.

edit: looks like the same thing maybe on ebay for $15.90
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Kit-BKHONK842GB-Mounting-Kit-2016-Honda-Civic-/232714412628
Yeah that’s the one I ended up having to buy. I couldn’t find them in stock anywhere else. I got the metra bracket as well so I can see which one looks better. I’ll post pics as soon as everything comes in. The headunit is on backorder so who knows how long it’ll be before it ships.

frankdboss

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
Does anyone know the polarity of the front door speakers on both sides? I am tapping into the front speakers for an LOC and I want to know whats +/- in the R/L front speakers.

Edit: The left front speakers are Pink = + White = -
I will check the right side soon.

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well my android radio failed last night. Gonna have to send for warranty. We'll see how that process goes. Going to be changing over to one of the Sony units at some point. For now it's back to the stock HU. Didn't know how much I missed having bluetooth music auto play when I started the car.

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
Yeah that’s the one I ended up having to buy. I couldn’t find them in stock anywhere else. I got the metra bracket as well so I can see which one looks better. I’ll post pics as soon as everything comes in. The headunit is on backorder so who knows how long it’ll be before it ships.
@slo_hatch, Getting everything together to do a system upgrade and ran across the mention of the PAC bezel in this thread. Have you had a chance to install yet? I'd love to see what it looks like compared to the Metra!

slo_hatch

slo_hatch
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@slo_hatch, Getting everything together to do a system upgrade and ran across the mention of the PAC bezel in this thread. Have you had a chance to install yet? I'd love to see what it looks like compared to the Metra!
Yes I did! It looks great. I had the HVAC controls wrapped gloss black to match, too. I ended up turning the backup camera off though. It’s all screwed up. Did anyone else have any trouble with the back up camera feed coming in mirrored and super wide angle?

Before:

Honda Civic 10th gen LX radio replacement  thread 2CEE47D8-E5D5-4EB4-B4AC-2F57191FEDE6

After:

Honda Civic 10th gen LX radio replacement  thread E0B2BE48-0767-4E4D-B531-1882C97FFDF9

slo_hatch

slo_hatch
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well my android radio failed last night. Gonna have to send for warranty. We'll see how that process goes. Going to be changing over to one of the Sony units at some point. For now it's back to the stock HU. Didn't know how much I missed having bluetooth music auto play when I started the car.
Damn. Have they figured out what happened?

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
Yes I did! It looks great. I had the HVAC controls wrapped gloss black to match, too. I ended up turning the backup camera off though. It’s all screwed up. Did anyone else have any trouble with the back up camera feed coming in mirrored and super wide angle?
slo_hatch, Thanks! Looking at the picture, it looks really good. To me, worth it for the extra cost. Can you comment on how it looks in person though? The sides, etc...look like a stock item for the most part?
Also...can you elaborate on the HVAC wrapped in gloss black? Is this something you did or had someone else do? How much did that cost to do? And again on aesthetics, how does it look in person, up close?

Last edited:

slo_hatch

slo_hatch
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
slo_hatch, Thanks! Looking at the picture, it looks really good. To me, worth it for the extra cost. Can you comment on how it looks in person though? The sides, etc...look like a stock item for the most part?
Also...can you elaborate on the HVAC wrapped in gloss black? Is this something you did or had someone else do? How much did that cost to do? And again on aesthetics, how does it look in person, up close?
If you look at your stock unit, the back part of the screen that connects with the dash isn’t there on the aftermarket one. It’s just open. So from the front, it has a “stock” look for the most part. But from the side, you’ll be able to see in behind the radio. As for the HVAC, I paid a nearby tint/audio place to do it and the dash trim while they were fixing the wiring for the radio. It was $350 for everything. My wiring harness for the backup camera completely did not work so they had to spend a bunch of time figuring that out.

slo_hatch

slo_hatch
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another thing to note, is the the HVAC control panel is a textured plastic, so the vinyl will not be perfectly smooth like the radio bezel is.

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
But from the side, you’ll be able to see in behind the radio.
Okay...that sounds a little....weird? Is the Metra bezel like this too?
Possible to get a picture from the side?

Interesting about the HVAC piece using tint. Kinda hard to tell really what it looks like in the picture, but it sounds like probably worked pretty good.

slo_hatch

slo_hatch
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen LX radio replacement  thread B2731290-6439-4060-8A2F-9F1D0FF51AD0

This is the OEM unit. I looked at the Metra I have laying around and it also has this piece. The one I installed does not. I’ll probably find a way to break them off the Metra and retrofit it onto the glossy one I installed. I still prefer mine to the metra, even in light of this.

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Well damn, it definitely looks great from the front! Thanks for sharing
Sponsored