LX Hatchback MT Like Looking for Unicorns

clunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra
New forum member here. I will be buying a new car within a couple months, and the decision comes down to a Civic LX hatchback or an Impreza 2.0i wagon. I can find the Impreza all over the place, but I have yet to find a single LX hatchback with manual transmission anywhere in the Pacific Northwest. Do they exist? Where?

No offense to CVT owners, but I can't stand those transmissions. It has to be a manual.
Sponsored

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Good luck to you! I had a hard time finding the EX-T manual when I was looking a few months back.

Timmeh8604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I shopped for a manual hatch sport or LX for 9 months, only 2 were found over that time within a reasonable distance from me. Both were black, and I just cant deal with a black car. I ended up settling on a sonic grey EX an overall I am happy besides the trans. Its not terrible for what it is but a manual would have been nice. This was 1.5 years ago, I cant imagine they have upped the production on manual cars. Good luck.

OP
OP

clunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra
Here's a search I just ran on cars.com. looks like the 19 LX models haven't come in yet. There is a good amount of 19 Sport hatchbacks. https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...est&stkTypId=28880&transTypeId=28112&zc=97301
That makes a lot of sense. I saw lots of LX sedans but no hatchbacks. I imagine I will see a lot of competition for the MT, and like almost everyone else, I don't want black . . . unless of course they drop the price another $1,000. I would consider the Sport, but price is an issue, and I don't like the premium gas requirement.

I fear that manual transmissions might be getting phased out by most manufacturers. The majority of car buyers prefer an automatic, and thanks to the EPA claiming CVT's get better mileage, manufacturers are shifting that direction to meet the industry quota. Problem is, EPA tests are not real world tests. I guarantee I can get better mileage with a manual than any equivalent automatic. More importantly, when my Honda has 225k miles on it with no mechanical issues, and those with CVT's have replaced their transmissions twice, I will know I made the right decision.

Last edited:

skshrews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
Country flag
The same situation I was in 18 months ago. I just did cars.com surveillance for about 4-6 weeks before LX and Sports hatchbacks started to appear here in the NE. The LX was closer, and in the red color I wanted, whereas the blue Sport was another hour away.
There's one listed (2018) in MA right now, I'm sure there will be a trickle available-but you might have to travel.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just get an Si lol...i went in to get a hatch manual, but drove out with my Si sedan and could not be any happier.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Just get an Si lol...i went in to get a hatch manual, but drove out with my Si sedan and could not be any happier.
I'm considering replacing my 17 Si with a Sport Hatch, I could really use the extra cargo space. Would it be a huge letdown in performance in your opion?

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm considering replacing my 17 Si with a Sport Hatch, I could really use the extra cargo space. Would it be a huge letdown in performance in your opion?
If your not looking for performance then get the hatch...if you want performance and cargo space get the hatch lol if that makes sense. You have the options to tune and the other parts available for the hatch.
If losing out on the bigger brakes, LSD, and more HP from changing bothers you then stay with Si. Honda knew what they were doing and not making a hatch Si. The Type R is a hatch and making a Si hatch would have probably killed the sales for the Type R.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Found one! ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen LX Hatchback MT Like Looking for Unicorns un

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel Honda had some intentions of not making many LX hatches in manual due to the choice of upgrading to an Si or sport model hatch. I don’t know if the sport models are hard to find in manual as well. Honda may have done this because now there are more people out there that won’t drive a manual leaving the Si for guys like me that wants to shift gears and have a ounce of performance. Then there is the R. And for dealers to take in trade a lx hatch manual would be a hit because it may sit awhile then they would have to give it away because it became old inventory.

OP
OP

clunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra
I feel Honda had some intentions of not making many LX hatches in manual due to the choice of upgrading to an Si or sport model hatch. I don’t know if the sport models are hard to find in manual as well. Honda may have done this because now there are more people out there that won’t drive a manual leaving the Si for guys like me that wants to shift gears and have a ounce of performance. Then there is the R. And for dealers to take in trade a lx hatch manual would be a hit because it may sit awhile then they would have to give it away because it became old inventory.
I can only see one problem with that theory. If Honda wanted buyers to upgrade to a sport hatch or Si model, why would they make the 1.5L Turbo standard equipment on the base model hatch? Maybe it is for buyers like me. If the LX hatch was only available with the 2.0, I might not even be looking at a Civic. If it was only available with a CVT, I would be driving home an Impreza 5-spd.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can only see one problem with that theory. If Honda wanted buyers to upgrade to a sport hatch or Si model, why would they make the 1.5L Turbo standard equipment on the base model hatch? Maybe it is for buyers like me. If the LX hatch was only available with the 2.0, I might not even be looking at a Civic. If it was only available with a CVT, I would be driving home an Impreza 5-spd.
What we are talking is availability of transmission for the lx not the engine, but what you say is something to think about. I think Honda did that on purpose.
Maybe they thought that putting the 2.0 in the lx hatch would not had been a good idea. Dealers can show the sport model then persuade the buyer that for less you can drive the lx which has the 1.5 turbo as the sport. That scenario would be if the buyer was not able to purchase the sport because its more cheese. Who knows.

Blanik

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic htachback 2018
Country flag
Maybe my ignorance but i bought a lx HB last years (in canada)
There where no more 17' manual.....so i just order the way i want
Go to dealer ask for a blue lx with manual tranny. I give 500 deposit wait 5-6 week ( so they can build it in UK )
Receive it the way i want
Why the same thing can apply now ?

( the only thing here im canada is we CAN'T order a hatchback with 2.0......minimum version is lx with 1.5.....same thing in US? Because i think u got another lower option in US right?)
Sponsored