Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved!

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
yeah, its super weird for sure. NapalmEnema solved his issue by putting a layer of thin felt over the surface of the contact area of the lugnuts. Check the other thread for details. I might give this a shot now as well since now I have 2 complete sets of Porsche lugnuts in both AL and TI and I bought the felt from amazon since it was only like $7. But I would *really* like a real fix if possible that doesn't involve the felt. I'll be taking it into the dealer for a service in a week and may just leave it there and have them sort it out.

EDIT: Also, in case it matters, the car doesn't get driven much... maybe once a week for 5-10 miles. Not sure if letting it sit would somehow have an effect on this. It can't be weather since I'm in SoCal and that doesn't change much.
Ya, personally I wouldn't be comfortable with the felt solution long term. But it's weird that these lug nuts have worked well with a bunch of NSX wheel setups and are only now causing an issue.

I doubt its the car sitting too. Mine isn't my daily, sits sometimes a week or more unused, and I've never had noise like that from the wheels.

Could it possibly be the hub centric rings? Any of you running aluminum ones? Maybe the rings aren't perfect to spec and give it some play even with lugs torqued down? Doubt it but who knows.
Sponsored

vgr_90

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8,fiesta Shelby 750 mk5,Leon5F
Country flag
Cross-posting this here for visibility since I have tried 2 of the options in the original post. With both Danny's titanium lugs AND the Porsche OEM aluminum lugs I am still having the clicking noises coming from the front 2 wheels, mostly noticeable at lower speeds - going straight you can hear it, and turning makes it worse. Any ideas? Check it out below. Cheers for any ideas - it's quite annoying!

did you solve the problem?

wayoutwest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R-19644
Country flag
Just picked up the car today... dealership tried everything and threw in the towel (after trying swapping wheels/lugs/checking axle nut/lubrication as pointed out by @the_log_ride and a bunch of other troubleshooting. The head mechanic there said he has seen another CTR with NSX wheels and it did the exact same thing and thinks it just some random material rubbing issue with the CTR hubs and contact face of this specific wheel. He said it isn't any risk or mechanically wrong, just an annoyance. The one thing he didn't want to try was the silicone gasket stuff since he said it would make a mess. I'm open to any other ideas if anyone has any, but at this point I'm not going to throw any more money or time at this since its just a minor annoyance that you don't even hear with the windows up/music on.

cheers,
dave
Sponsored