Lowering car = blown axles?

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
Saw someone on Facebook that stated he installed Eibach springs around 3k miles and now at 13k miles both his front axles and cv boots are blown. Does it depend on how low you go? coilovers vs springs? I have Ksport coilovers so i'm rather concerned now that my car is a ticking time bomb.
Sponsored

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Nah, lowering your car won't suddenly blow your axles.

The guy probably hit something.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
another person here with coilovers that slammed his ride. his boots were ripped after a while

prophetfc2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX, '12 Nissan Versa, '02 Infiniti G20
I agree with maaaaackle. I had a fairly low integra for 3 years and did not break any axles. Poor street conditions will definitely wear suspension out faster.

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC-TOURING, 2005 EVO VIII
Saw someone on Facebook that stated he installed Eibach springs around 3k miles and now at 13k miles both his front axles and cv boots are blown. Does it depend on how low you go? coilovers vs springs? I have Ksport coilovers so i'm rather concerned now that my car is a ticking time bomb.
Installer probably f*cked them up during the install. I've run coilovers and bags on numerous cars with no issues at all. My EVO had bags for 50k miles with no issues. Switched back to coilovers and am currently at 120K miles with no issues and it's running 400wtq all day every day.

jaserjaser

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic EX-T , 2016 honda accord v6 touring
Country flag
the dude on Facebook did not break his axel.. he just ripped his cv boot thats all..

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
There's an optimum range for suspension geometry. Generally, slamming the car exceeds that range. Thus, the axle/CV/etc are not designed to operate in that range. I've seen cars that slammed to the point that the tires do not even get a full contact patch (outside of the tires is lifted from the road).....don't complain about your tire wear if you are doing that...

1stHondaEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
There's an optimum range for suspension geometry. Generally, slamming the car exceeds that range. Thus, the axle/CV/etc are not designed to operate in that range.
This is exactly correct. When you drop (and for that matter, lift) your car aggressively, you're always putting additional stress on the suspension components and putting them in positions (angles) they were not designed to operate at. Obviously there's a difference between lowering an inch or lowering 4 inches. You still stress the suspension and it'll wear earlier than normal, but the more aggressive the drop the sooner parts will show wear. Obviously, driving style and road conditions will also play a factor.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I’ve had the same problem, bought my civic hatchback about a year ago brand new and lowered it at about 6k miles, at 18k miles the cv axles were blown, I only noticed recently when I put drilled and slotted rotors and had fluid everywhere

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve had the same problem, bought my civic hatchback about a year ago brand new and lowered it at about 6k miles, at 18k miles the cv axles were blown, I only noticed recently when I put drilled and slotted rotors and had fluid everywhere
Fluid or grease?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fluid, and it was everywhere from my wheel barrels to the wheel Wells
I also did lower my car on the Eibach Sportline Series Springs
To be honest that sounds like grease from a ripped boot which is a common issue if the installer is not very careful during a lowering spring install. It would be tough for any other liquid to make it to that location.

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
OP, your car will be fine, based on the picture. Running Eibach Proline on my FC4 (50,000km since lowered) and Swift Springs on my FC3. You'll blow out those Ksports before you have axle issues.

Those clowns who run ridiculous camber will have axle issues, as the CV geometry will cause premature wear and failure. As well as boot damage during install.

Always a good idea to check your boots after install, if there is any cuts in the boot, you can use super glue to seal the boot

Sounds like that owner probably had damaged boots, grease leaked out, and eventually killed the CV.
Sponsored