First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a CTR and the only mods are remote start and went to 255/35/20 tire.

I drive very short distances and let my car warm up in the morning and evening for less than 10 min.

I’m consistently getting 15-17mpg.
I use premium fuel.

Is this normal?

On my old car it seemed to only track driving miles.
Sponsored

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag

I drive very short distances and let my car warm up in the morning and evening for less than 10 min.

I use premium fuel.

Is this normal?

Sounds normal for aggressive driving to me. I'm sure you're having fun :)

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Short distance driving gets lower fuel economy because you are shifting gears more often. Warming up should be a minute or 2 at most unless it's winter and you're defrosting. If you granny shift, use neutral to coast when possible it may help a little.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Short distance driving gets lower fuel economy because you are shifting gears more often. Warming up should be a minute or 2 at most unless it's winter and you're defrosting. If you granny shift, use neutral to coast when possible it may help a little.
I feel like I get better gas mileage while coasting in gear (when the wheels drive the engine so no gas is needed).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SL0, FK8R, GR3
Country flag
What does warming up mean/ex-/include? Do you drive the car then or let it idle for 10 minutes without moving at all?

The best way to warm up an engine and keep mpg down is to drive it (conservatively). All other methods attribute to (very) low mpg and harm the engine unnecessarily.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
Andruboine

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
Andruboine

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
What does warming up mean/ex-/include? Do you drive the car then or let it idle for 10 minutes without moving at all?

The best way to warm up an engine and keep mpg down is to drive it (conservatively). All other methods attribute to (very) low mpg and harm the engine unnecessarily.
This. Modern vehicles should not be idled to "warm them up". Get in the car and drive it.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
That's not how this works. At all.
Fuel injectors are shut off when you're completely coasting. The moving momentum of the vehicle is transferred through the wheels, then transmission, to the flywheel to turn the engine.

Edit: the vacuum created by the motor aids in engine braking during this time as well.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
It's not idling. The car is in gear with zero load because the wheels are turning the engine, instead of the engine turning the wheels.

When you coast slow enough to where the wheels can't turn the engine, it will start lugging.

Idling is when the car is in neutral and the engine is spinning freely.
Though the CTR has some nice anti-stall features that stopped the motor from dying. In 1st gear it'll roll smoothly at 4MPH without any throttle input (ECU pushes the motor) and 7-8MPH in 2nd. Makes stop and go traffic much easier. Obviously don't try to accelerate hard if you're at those speeds though.

So your engine idles without any fuel?
Ducky did a good description above. The motor will coast (in gear) without any fuel until the antistall features kick in. For example if you're coasting down from 20 MPH in 2nd gear and drop below 12, I believe the vehicle begins to use gas again. As you continue to coast down in 2nd gear, you'll eventually hit 8 where the vehicle will continue to keep your motor at idle RPMs (around 800 or so) keeping you at a constant 7-8MPH. At this point, hitting the brakes will stall you out if you don't disengage the clutch.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag

I use premium fuel.

Is this normal?

Where are you shifting at ? All my shifts vary I shift as low as 2400 when cruising. If your shifting at 3500 every time that’s your answer. Now if your keeping the revs below 3k i suspect faulty air fuel sensor. Check spark plugs see if they are black. Honestly those are you only your 2 real possibilities.
Actually slight chance faulty mass air meter. Was it always like this. Did you change the intake?
Sponsored