First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe (SOLD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey everyone. I'm getting a loud whistle noise under heavy throttle over 4k rpms. It's a hollow whistling sound. Quite loud. I'm pretty nervous to say the least. Just noticed the sound today.

I just had some exhaust work done yesterday, resonator delete, mufflers replaced with a Vibrant 1040 muffler. I have the TSP stage 1 tune. Those are the extent of my mods. Any ideas? I did not have the AC on.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Did Bubb Rubb do the work for you?

Just kidding. I wish you good luck with finding the solution. I'm sure it's a leak or a resonance.

OP
OP
Blitted_Master

Blitted_Master

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Doesn’t sound anything like a dentist’s drill, does it?
No, I wouldn't describe it like that. The more I think about it, the more I think it's some kind of resonance from the new exhaust. Power/boost doesn't seem to be down at all. I'll keep everyone posted if there's any changes or updates.

OP
OP
Blitted_Master

Blitted_Master

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Today on my lunch break I got on it a little bit to see if I could replicate the noise. It did make the noise but it seemed much less pronounced. Having never heard this noise before until after the exhaust being worked on leads me to believe it is likely just resonance. Here's to hoping it goes away entirely as it breaks itself in.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Today on my lunch break I got on it a little bit to see if I could replicate the noise. It did make the noise but it seemed much less pronounced. Having never heard this noise before until after the exhaust being worked on leads me to believe it is likely just resonance. Here's to hoping it goes away entirely as it breaks itself in.
Well the entire point of the resonator box is to produce 'anti-noise' to help silence the otherwise noisy intake. Mufflers do the same on the opposite end. I guess the only thing to technically worry about is if unfiltered air was getting into the engine or CO was leaking before it gets to the exhaust. My bet is that the vacuum hose whoosh is coming from the intake. Maybe set up your camera close to the engine bay with the hood opened and rev the motor. Or have someone else rev it while you listen.

OP
OP
Blitted_Master

Blitted_Master

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well the entire point of the resonator box is to produce 'anti-noise' to help silence the otherwise noisy intake. Mufflers do the same on the opposite end. I guess the only thing to technically worry about is if unfiltered air was getting into the engine or CO was leaking before it gets to the exhaust. My bet is that the vacuum hose whoosh is coming from the intake. Maybe set up your camera close to the engine bay with the hood opened and rev the motor. Or have someone else rev it while you listen.
Thank you for your input. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this after doing an exhaust resonator delete? I think the sound is coming from the front od the car somewhere. I don't really like revving over 4k rpms and taxing the engine. I usually don't go over 3k rpms in normal driving.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Doesn’t sound anything like a dentist’s drill, does it?
I have this issue that you mention it sounds like a dental drill. It kinda sounds like a whistling/drill noise and when you press on the gas, it speeds the noise up. Sounds like it's coming from the radio? Speakers? Do you know what it could be?

OP
OP
Blitted_Master

Blitted_Master

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have this issue that you mention it sounds like a dental drill. It kinda sounds like a whistling/drill noise and when you press on the gas, it speeds the noise up. Sounds like it's coming from the radio? Speakers? Do you know what it could be?
The worry about the dental drill would be that's what it sounds like when a turbo is failing. Hopefully that's not what's going on for either one of us.

One thing I've noticed about the sound I'm getting (which IS still there) is that it's much more pronounced when I'm using the TSP stage 1 tune vs using the stock tune. More airflow / boost with the stage 1 tune for sure.

I just don't know what's going on. Is it a boost leak? Is it a hole they left in the exhaust when putting my muffler on and deleting my resonator? Is it a sound being generated due to removing the resonator (which stops certain sounds from being produced)?

I'm at a loss.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
You might ask someone local to have a listen, preferably someone experienced with tuning. They might be able to narrow things down for you. Boost leaks are likely, but you seldom hear them.

As for the sound coming from the radio/speakers, I’ve heard that before, but not for decades! The alternator can give off radio interference, but those were usually older, poorly wired, unprotected alternators. The sound should vanish when you turn off the stereo. Otherwise, the ‘dentist drill’ sound is one the compressor blades make as they cut down the aluminum in the turbine inlet housing...

nyamwaikinn

First Name
Jerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport(Sonic Gray)
Country flag
Hey I had the same reso/muffler delete paired with the vibrant 104 muffler. I'm experiencing this odd whistling noise above 4k rpm as well. Did you figure what it was? It was like a turning fork resonance right?

peters239

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport MT
Country flag
The worry about the dental drill would be that's what it sounds like when a turbo is failing. Hopefully that's not what's going on for either one of us.

One thing I've noticed about the sound I'm getting (which IS still there) is that it's much more pronounced when I'm using the TSP stage 1 tune vs using the stock tune. More airflow / boost with the stage 1 tune for sure.

I just don't know what's going on. Is it a boost leak? Is it a hole they left in the exhaust when putting my muffler on and deleting my resonator? Is it a sound being generated due to removing the resonator (which stops certain sounds from being produced)?

I'm at a loss.
Dude I have the same exact problem. I had the resonator deleted for about 6 months and a short ram intake. Made my sport hatch sound a little better but still could barely here the exhaust. About a month ago I bought the vibrant 1040 muffler like I ve seen others put on there 10th gen civics and the second I left the shop I heard the same noise. I didnt think it was there job because it almost sounded like it was coming from up front like the intake or something. First gear wont make it floored probably because theres barely any load on the motor and turbo. 2nd thru 6th it makes a awful lwhine/whistle noise around 5000 rpm till redline. It's also only under load with full throttle. If I let off and get back on it but just part throttle it goes away then floor it again and comes right back. If I floor it all gears but shift at 4500/5000 it just starts to make noise but goes away as soon as I shift. I hope this is pretty much the same as you described. When I get home today I can post a video of the noise if any one would like to hear. I went over everything and cant find anything wrong. I am at a loss too because it sounds like totally shit if you take it past 5000 rpm up until then sounds great. The only thing I can think of is that it is the muffler design it self. Even though it looks like almost everyone else 1 in 2 out theres probably a reason its cheaper. I guess that what I get for spending $250 all together in stead of $750+ on an exhaust. If you find anything else out please let me know but I just cant come up with anything especially now that I see others have the same exact issue.

OP
OP
Blitted_Master

Blitted_Master

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey I had the same reso/muffler delete paired with the vibrant 104 muffler. I'm experiencing this odd whistling noise above 4k rpm as well. Did you figure what it was? It was like a turning fork resonance right?
I haven't figured it out yet but it sounds like you have the same exact problem as me.

Dude I have the same exact problem. I had the resonator deleted for about 6 months and a short ram intake. Made my sport hatch sound a little better but still could barely here the exhaust. About a month ago I bought the vibrant 1040 muffler like I ve seen others put on there 10th gen civics and the second I left the shop I heard the same noise. I didnt think it was there job because it almost sounded like it was coming from up front like the intake or something. First gear wont make it floored probably because theres barely any load on the motor and turbo. 2nd thru 6th it makes a awful lwhine/whistle noise around 5000 rpm till redline. It's also only under load with full throttle. If I let off and get back on it but just part throttle it goes away then floor it again and comes right back. If I floor it all gears but shift at 4500/5000 it just starts to make noise but goes away as soon as I shift. I hope this is pretty much the same as you described. When I get home today I can post a video of the noise if any one would like to hear. I went over everything and cant find anything wrong. I am at a loss too because it sounds like totally shit if you take it past 5000 rpm up until then sounds great. The only thing I can think of is that it is the muffler design it self. Even though it looks like almost everyone else 1 in 2 out theres probably a reason its cheaper. I guess that what I get for spending $250 all together in stead of $750+ on an exhaust. If you find anything else out please let me know but I just cant come up with anything especially now that I see others have the same exact issue.
I still don't know what it is but we're all in the same boat. If you guys find a solution please share it. If I had the money I would just get the HKS catback and hope that cleared it up.

peters239

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport MT
Country flag
I haven't figured it out yet but it sounds like you have the same exact problem as me.

I still don't know what it is but we're all in the same boat. If you guys find a solution please share it. If I had the money I would just get the HKS catback and hope that cleared it up.
I m pretty convinced it's the muffler. No one else with a muffler or cat back system has complained about a whistle noise. It seems it's only us with the vibrant 1040 muffler. Part of me feels ike it's the split from one to two tips. I want to try to temporarily block the one tip from exhaust coming out and see if it still makes the whistle noise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blitted_Master

Blitted_Master

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I m pretty convinced it's the muffler. No one else with a muffler or cat back system has complained about a whistle noise. It seems it's only us with the vibrant 1040 muffler. Part of me feels ike it's the split from one to two tips. I want to try to temporarily block the one tip from exhaust coming out and see if it still makes the whistle noise.
Please let us know how it goes for you! I'm thinking of just chopping the damned thing off completely.
Sponsored