Loud popping noise upon startup (Touring)

wendingTuo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I've been experiencing a very frustrating issue with my new Touring edition. Basically, about 50% of the time I turn the car on, my audio system pushes loud, static-y pops through my speakers. I've spoken to two different dealership tech guys, and both of them are at a loss as to what may be causing it. My local dealership has requested that I leave the car with them so they can take a more in-depth look at what may be causing the issue, but I figured I'd post here to see if anyone else is experiencing a similar issue.

Once this issue begins, it persists even when the car is turned off and back on. I've tried a factory reset of the head unit, as well as soft resets using the long press of the Audio Power button. This issue occurs regardless of whether bluetooth is connected. It also occurs when the audio is off on boot up. It doesn't seem to matter if I boot into Android Auto or not. Basically, it occurs what seems like randomly.

Needless to say this is a VERY frustrating issue, and it worries me that it might be causing damage to my speakers. The popping noise is at full volume regardless of where the volume is adjusted to.

The only "solution" I've come across is to flush the ECU (disconnecting the power from the battery and touching the positive wire to the negative wire). This was a suggestion offered by the dealer I purchased the car from. While this does seem to fix the issue on the next start up, it flushes all of the settings for every electronic in the car. This means I have to drive the vehicle up to 12 mph to allow for recalibration and then power cycle the car so all the warning lights turn off. Obviously, this is not an acceptable solution to the issue, and the effects do not last long. Last night, when I turned the car off and back on to remove the warning lights, the loud popping noise came back on that start up!

Please let me know if any of you have experienced a similar issue, and if so, what did you/the dealer do to fix it?
Sponsored

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you have the same source selected on startup each time? If it's set to AM / FM perhaps there's some interference from a nearby transmitter or phone. Perhaps try leaving the phone out of the car and trying some different locations. Doubt it's a loose connection or you'd hear it constantly, maybe a bad amp?

OP
OP

wendingTuo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
It doesn't seem to be affiliated with a particular source. It happens regardless of whether it's on AM, FM, Sirius XM or Bluetooth.

I was thinking it was probably a bad amp. Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully they can ID the cause when I take it to the dealer...

prowlerblaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Soul & Honda Civic Touring
I am having the exact same issue with mine too!
After 2 weeks of going to the dealership, a tech calls me back and he said that their "Techline" called him back and they said it was a known issue and that Honda is working on an update for the software. So basically, its a software patch thats needed. He said a simple quick fix is to turn the car off for 60 secs and turn it back on and it should have sound again.
That popping sound hurts my ears when it pops!
One time it made a firework sound!
I thought fireworks were going off in my car!
Anyways, please let me know if they ever fix your issue.
My email is [email protected]

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Interesting. Yet another software issue.
The patch they are working on is going to be massive...... Hopefully.

jokapr07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I bought mine a week ago from today on Jan 9th. Today I had this exact same problem happen to me for the 1st time and started looking online to see if anyone else has had it because I just bought this car and hate knowing I already have an issue. Could anyone help with knowing how to download this patch? Would it be via the car connected to wifi or thru the computer then to the car? In the meantime I'll be looking it up. Sucks to be happening to other people's new car but nice to know I'm not alone.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
You have to go to the dealer. There is no path for owners to get this patch on their own.

jokapr07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
You have to go to the dealer. There is no path for owners to get this patch on their own.
Thanks for the response. Did you also have the issue happen to you?

Before turning to the internet to see if anyone else has had a similar issue I had contacted the Honda dealer I purchased it from last week. The lady there had recommended I bring it in if it happened again but after reading about the similar issues here I contacted Honda directly and they told me to definitely take it in now. So I've made an appointment for Monday morning.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We only ordered last Saturday. Awaiting a production date and a LONG trip here. But I've been following this situation from the first report. We owned a '12 Ford Focus with My Ford Touch. Infotainment issues are something I'm all too familiar with.

OP
OP

wendingTuo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just recently did the software update at my local honda dealership, and later that same day experienced the loud popping once again. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed that this issue has not been resolved with this patch. I tried contacting the Honda Tech helpline but they are closed on the weekends. Looks like I'll have to call them on my lunch break tomorrow and let them know the issue has not been fixed.

I'm just not sure what other resources I have aside from complaining to Honda all the time. The dealership seems clueless as to what could be causing the issue, and I'm at my wits end having to power down my car and sit in the heat for 60 seconds while I wait for whatever is going wrong with my amp to sort itself out.

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just recently did the software update at my local honda dealership, and later that same day experienced the loud popping once again. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed that this issue has not been resolved with this patch. I tried contacting the Honda Tech helpline but they are closed on the weekends. Looks like I'll have to call them on my lunch break tomorrow and let them know the issue has not been fixed.

I'm just not sure what other resources I have aside from complaining to Honda all the time. The dealership seems clueless as to what could be causing the issue, and I'm at my wits end having to power down my car and sit in the heat for 60 seconds while I wait for whatever is going wrong with my amp to sort itself out.
The released TSB for the Touring addressed only the specific "complete loss of audio" issue. It was not a general update to anything other than that specific issue. Given the documentation of other issues, most expect a general stability update in the future, but Honda is going to need some time to get it developed and thoroughly test it before releasing it.

I think you've done what is needed, by reporting it to the Honda Tech line. I would get a specific case number assigned f you can for tracking purposes.

harvester2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Country flag

Add me to the list. Mine was even more eventful. I get my car dropped off and they say it's ready and when I go outside and get in, the car starts (that's a good thing, but another story) but the screen is dead. No audio, no heat, nothing. He takes it around back for about 10 minutes and then returns and says it's ready now. I asked what they did, he said they reset it. I asked how they do that, he said, "we disconnected the battery." I said, I hope I don't have to do that every time I drive. He said, "you shouldn't" and I said, YOU'RE RIGHT, I SHOULD'T!!! Lame honda...lame!!! My 2006 was bad in the beginning, but this touring seems to have come out without anyone checking the stuff.

I sent Honda a letter today with a slew of my problems telling them that I'm about to trade it in (and take a loss) and hope that whomever I give it to will enjoy getting the attention of having the 2016 "Car of the Year" traded in that they will go easy on me. What a marketing coup that could turn out to be!

harvester2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Country flag
most expect a general stability update in the future, but Honda is going to need some time to get it developed and thoroughly test it before releasing it.
Yeah that's almost comical! If they'd only put so much into it BEFORE they had us all become their beta testers!!!! :)

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah that's almost comical! If they'd only put so much into it BEFORE they had us all become their beta testers!!!! :)
When that auto assembly pipeline is ready to roll, employing many thousands of people at dozens of expensive plant worldwide, it rolls. Whether the infotainment software is done or not.
Sponsored