Lots of features other countries get.....not North America.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
This gent mentions many features that I don't believe come on North American Type R's.
Any idea why.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
That's always been the case, not just for Honda but virtually all car manufacturers. Seems like in North America we generally get fewer features and options compared to other countries. Probably having to do with automaker greed.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
More to do with the fact that the price for US is quite a bit lower.....currency corrected.

VW used to do that for GTI also, and now that its made in Mexico they were able to offer more options for the car.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If we compare the list price in the US with the prices in the EU, in the US the Type R is ~10.000 Euros (~11500 dollars) cheaper than here (in my country it's ~40.000 EUR ($46.400)).
And you should also factor in the bigger shipping costs from EU to US than from EU to EU.
Also, I'm reading a lot of posts where people are almost angry about the fact the normal Civic or the Si is filled with electronic gadgets and that they don't want to use them and would have preferred to buy the car without them and without paying for them (i.e: brake hold, e-brake, dual zone climate, ACC, etc). So why add them then?
From what I am seeing, EU buyers are more "gadget hungry" than the US buyers and the days of the "bare bone" sporty car are kind of done here.

Last edited:

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
If we compare the list price in the US with the prices in the EU, in the US the Type R is ~10.000 Euros (~11500 dollars) cheaper than here (in my country it's ~40.000 EUR ($46.400)).
And you should also factor in the bigger shipping costs from EU to US than from EU to EU.
Also, I'm reading a lot of posts where people are almost angry about the fact the normal Civic or the Si is filled with electronic gadgets and that they don't want to use them and would have preferred to buy the car without them and without paying for them (i.e: brake hold, e-brake, dual zone climate, ACC, etc). So why add them then?
From what I am seeing, EU buyers are more "gadget hungry" than the US buyers and the days of the "bare bone" sporty car are kind of done here.
First of all I love all the features of my ex-L and if they didn’t want them all then Honda offers a bare bones LX version of the car. Also only a portion of actual 10th gen civic owners are on this forum which makes it very hard to get actual statistical data on what consumers want in a car. I would actually argue that a majority of car owners want as many features packed into the car as possible. If they didn’t then the upper trims wouldn’t sell.

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Pilot, S2000, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Most of that stuff is pointless in this car. Case in point...Honda Sensing... I have in my 2019 Pilot it's mainly annoying. I'd assuredly disable it immediately in my CTR.

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
This gent mentions many features that I don't believe come on North American Type R's.
Any idea why.
Traditionally the US market doesn't get many of the features offered in other countries and this has always been the case. In the case of the Type R I believe it's due to government regulations. In Europe for example all cars must have the following by 2020.:

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/new-cars...safety-features-as-standard-from-2021-1856951
  • Advanced emergency braking
  • Alcohol interlock installation facilitation
  • Drowsiness and attention detection
  • Event (accident) data recorder
  • Emergency stop signal
  • Full-width frontal occupant protection crash test - improved seatbelts
  • Head impact zone enlargement for pedestrians and cyclists - safety glass in case of crash
  • Intelligent speed assistance
  • Lane keeping assist
  • Pole side impact occupant protection
  • Reversing camera or detection system
I assume this is why the EU gets the everything.

tsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Most of that stuff is pointless in this car. Case in point...Honda Sensing... I have in my 2019 Pilot it's mainly annoying. I'd assuredly disable it immediately in my CTR.
HondaSensing is great no my Pilot.. what's going on with yours? I wouldn't want it on a CTR though.

ep3_lol

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Lincoln Navigator L, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I would not have bought my car if it had lane keep assist, lane departure warning, or any sort of automatic braking that could come on while moving. Perhaps I'm not the only one?

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
I just want lane watch camera. It's the biggest thing I miss from my 17 Si

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Pilot, S2000, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
HondaSensing is great no my Pilot.. what's going on with yours? I wouldn't want it on a CTR though.
Well I've only had the Pilot for a couple weeks. Still getting used to it but I hate the lane departure thing. Everything is great. Love the suv overall.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Only thing I would want from the other markets is the EU power folding mirrors with turn signal and BSM.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Lol the Europeans may as well have a robot drive for them. Jeez do they have enough nannies

tsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Well I've only had the Pilot for a couple weeks. Still getting used to it but I hate the lane departure thing. Everything is great. Love the suv overall.
I turn off the lane departure warning. The ACC with LaneKeep is almost like half-autopilot. makes long distance driving a cinch.. remember to adjust the ACC following distance with the button with the car icon (I hated the ACC following distance until I found out I can adjust the distance).
Sponsored