Lost here with tires- need help

1. veejayy

veejayy Member

Car(s):
    Civic coupe turbo
    I have read a bunch of threads but still confused so maybe I start with what I want.

1) I want to dump the OEM set up
    2) I want all season tires. I would stick to the size Honda recommends
    3) I want 18 inch wheels
    4) I would prefer Michelins
    5) I don’t want to give up a lot of performance but a reasonable compromise I can accept vs the OEM summers
    6) This will be a fun daily car and will NOT be tracked. I will be driving local twisty roads and exit ramps where I want to have fun but not interested in any autoX or track days.

What are your recommendations.

Thanks!

WhatThePuck and repeet thanked this.
  2. JayDiem

JayDiem Senior Member

First Name:
    Tyler
    Car(s):
    2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
    I have some 18" 9.5 wide Motegi M133's and some Conti DSW06's. Wheels are reasonable, looks good, feels good, not quite as sticky as OEM but you'll get more life from the tires. Would recommend.

3. Vincent@27WON

[email protected] Senior Member
    Elite Sponsor

President, Founder, Racer, Enthusiast
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Car(s):
    17 HBS, 18 SI, 18 CTR
    If you are not dead set on Michelins I suggest the Nitto Motivo for the day to day.

4. driv300mph

driv300mph Member

First Name:
    Troy
    Car(s):
    2019 Sonic Grey CTR (#22412 of ???), 2011 Lotus Exige S260 (#19 of 30)
    I just bought a CTR for the same reasons - I love the track, but have another car for that.

I opted for Titan T-5S 18x9.5 +45 with Michelin PS4S 275/35/18

5. Dragnet

Dragnet Senior Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Type R, 2007 Accord
    Are you planning on using all seasons just for cooler weather then switching back to summer tires? I've been using some Michelin ps4s tires for several months now but we haven't seen a really cold winter this far. It's actually been in the 50s and 60s here as of late.

6. RedGiant217

RedGiant217 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda Accord
    My recommendation: If you don't want to give up a lot of performance, don't go to an all season tire.

If you want an all season and a Michilen, then it's gotta be the Pilot Sport A/S 3+

I'd go Continental Extreme Contact DWS06...if I wanted all seasons...

Wabby thanked this.
  7. yargk

yargk Senior Member

Car(s):
    '18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '07 WRX wagon
    Agreed. I think this is the highest dry performance tire so when it's summer you can fool yourself into feeling like you have proper summer tire!

8. Mature Banana

Mature Banana Senior Member

Car(s):
    CTR
    I have the following setup, which I’m happy with and would recommend for daily driving.

VMR 701 18” x 9.5” +45 rims with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 255/40/18.

The overall wheel diameter is a little larger than stock (26.03” vs 25.79”) but I’m told the speed error is only around 1%. I see threads where folks think +45 is too much off from the stock offset, but I don’t see a negative effect during daily driving. Comfort level with this setup is improved and overall handling still feels good to me.

9. 02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    2017 FK8
    Conti DSW06's all seasons are great. I have them and the reviews are great for these tires. I'm running 265/35-18s

10. Wabby

Wabby Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda Cr-z
    This!!!
    Can't say it enough! Don't try saving some bucks on tires when you have bought an CTR.

Dragnet and RedGiant217 thanked this.
  11. Zeffy94

Zeffy94 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Type R
    That’s not a fair thing to say - the temperature here can wildly swing from 20 degrees in the morning to 50 in the morning. I can’t run winter tires when there is the possibility the temperature might creep up to near 60. I can’t run summer tires when there is the possibility of the temperature hitting below 25 degrees. What do I do, just not drive it? It’s my only car, and it was a compromise I was willing to make. I don’t have time to play the tire swap game whenever the weather wants to flip to the opposite.

I get that I lost performance, but as far as I’m concerned, on these DWS06 tires I can still attack curves with plenty of aggression and not even feel understeer. It’s not really possible to use this car on the street at maximum potential without doing things the cops probably won’t appreciate. So for me being able to get to and from work and wherever I need to be is a huge benefit, and these tires really don’t negate any of the fun factor for me.

The summer tires were wicked when it was warm out, and I’ll probably stick another pair on when the weather gets to that point, but until then these all season tires are a boon to me.

12. Wabby

Wabby Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda Cr-z
    It's totally up to you. Winter tires can easily run on 60 degrees, so don't worry.
    But from what I can see, is that you have months from November to March which can give you temperatures below freezingpoint. And any curves and/or bridges can be really scary or dangerous at that time.

This is just my 0.02$, the choice is your's.

I've totaled a car against a truck and had several slippery experiences with weather lurking around freezingpoint on bad tires, so I'm talking about experience.

13. Barett@27WON

[email protected] Senior Member
    Elite Sponsor

First Name:
    Barett
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
    I've personally had great luck with the BFG Sport Comp-2 Summer Variant on a high power FWD application. They are a pretty old tire by today's standards, but why change it if they work so well?
    I daily drove the Sport Comp-2 on a MazdaSpeed 3 that grew from 3o0whp to 633wph today. The daily commute ranged from 30 degree winter mornings to 100 degree summers in the PNW; thats asking alot from a summer tire yet I was never disappointed. They are also fairly cost effective and last a long time for the level of performance you get.

Mrgracer thanked this.
  14. Mature Banana

Mature Banana Senior Member

Car(s):
    CTR
    Please excuse the off-topic question. @02SilverSiHB, what’s that beer you’re drinking there....??

15. 02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    2017 FK8
    lol, man, I can't remember. I think it was some seasonal Sierra Nevada special...maybe I can find the bigger/higher res pic and see, lol