Typ._.Arr
First Name
JD @typ._.arr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM FK8 Type R
Country flag
If you can spend the money on a CTR, and on those parts - do yourself a favor and purchase a ktuner. Hell you can buy them used on the marketplace here. If you really want to prove that AFE Scorcher is doing a good job, marry the Ktuner to the car (which means letting them flash your ECU.... details here http://ktuner.com/ktunertyper/), then datalog the car using the AFE Scorcher without changing the factory stock map on the car.
http://ktuner.com/17civictyper/
K Thanks. I have had an AFE module on my S3 and Focus RS and now Type R and I can say they work and give you more power where you need it. From about 3k rpm on they really give you more noticeable power. I have never had an issue with them. I will definitely look into getting a K tuner to see exactly what its doing. Thanks for all the info.
Sponsored

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you can spend the money on a CTR, and on those parts - do yourself a favor and purchase a ktuner. Hell you can buy them used on the marketplace here. If you really want to prove that AFE Scorcher is doing a good job, marry the Ktuner to the car (which means letting them flash your ECU.... details here http://ktuner.com/ktunertyper/), then datalog the car using the AFE Scorcher without changing the factory stock map on the car.
http://ktuner.com/17civictyper/
I told him more than twice not to get that aFe piggy back...doesn't listen man, lol

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
K Thanks. I have had an AFE module on my S3 and Focus RS and now Type R and I can say they work and give you more power where you need it. From about 3k rpm on they really give you more noticeable power. I have never had an issue with them. I will definitely look into getting a K tuner to see exactly what its doing. Thanks for all the info.
ktuner will cost you way more. If you get the V2 and send in your ECU...you're looking at around 895 I believe (Can't remember the exact price, I have it already).

Told you man, get ktuner. But as for your experience, the ECU felt something wasn't right and dialed you back to prevent melting or blowing something.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I told him more than twice not to get that aFe piggy back...doesn't listen man, lol
Piggybacks are relatively dumb choices in this modern age. I can't believe some people think piggybacks are the right choice. I had a JB+ piggyback on a mini, and the car fried 2 sets of coils and the ECU in under 30k miles. I had a PP SMT6 on a mazda and the block grenaded.

OP
OP
skankmanky

skankmanky

Typ._.Arr
First Name
JD @typ._.arr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM FK8 Type R
Country flag
ktuner will cost you way more. If you get the V2 and send in your ECU...you're looking at around 895 I believe (Can't remember the exact price, I have it already).

Told you man, get ktuner. But as for your experience, the ECU felt something wasn't right and dialed you back to prevent melting or blowing something.
so you have to send in your ecu for the Ktuner?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
so you have to send in your ecu for the Ktuner?
With a Type R you will need to have the ECU unlocked/jailbroken for tuning. Ktuner and Hondata are the popular options. Some people buy a spare ECU to keep their stock one unmolested. Paging @bushfreakz since he is a friend of mine who is going that route.

Alternative to flashing your ecu wouod be a full standalone like Motec.

OP
OP
skankmanky

skankmanky

Typ._.Arr
First Name
JD @typ._.arr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM FK8 Type R
Country flag
With a Type R you will need to have the ECU unlocked/jailbroken for tuning. Ktuner and Hondata are the popular options. Some people buy a spare ECU to keep their stock one unmolested. Paging @bushfreakz since he is a friend of mine who is going that route.

Motec is right near my house what to they do for the ctr? And were can a buy a extra ecu?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Motec is right near my house what to they do for the ctr? And were can a buy a extra ecu?
Full standalone means replacing your ecu with a Motec device. You would then need to find a tuner. This is very costly and generally not pursued unless doing a full engine build and replacing the turbo and fuel system.

Honda parts network sells the ECU. Google it.

OP
OP
skankmanky

skankmanky

Typ._.Arr
First Name
JD @typ._.arr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM FK8 Type R
Country flag
Full standalone means replacing your ecu with a Motec device. You would then need to find a tuner. This is very costly and generally not pursued unless doing a full engine build and replacing the turbo and fuel system.

Honda parts network sells the ECU. Google it.
K Thanks.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag

I don’t know if I would consider a $5-10K motec system a practical alternative. There are really only 2 choices for most people: Ktuner or hondata.

Regarding cost, you can get into Ktuner for like $750 or less ($300 for unlock and $450 or less for Ktuner v1.2, cheaper if you get a used unit).

You don’t have to ship your ecu if you live near an authorized jail breaker (they have a few throughout the us). Got mine jail broken in person and took about an hour.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
You SURE you didn't hit the rev limiter?

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im Sure. I found out the reason already.
yeah, definitely not hitting the rev limiter at that gear/speed. Not to mention, you'd know if you hit the rev limiter....so what did you conclude it was? The intake or the scorcher thing

Oh and as for KTuner, I went through evasivemotorsports.com
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/m...KTUNER-FLASH-V2&Category_Code=FK8-ELECTRONICS

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/m...e=HON-JAILBREAK&Category_Code=FK8-ELECTRONICS

It costs a total of 899 when I went with the V2 unit...which I prefer, as I don't want to mess with the infotainment center to display all that...rather have something right in front of me I can monitor.
Sponsored