GTA1977

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
For my first mod I'm getting a Ktuner and have a few questions.

1. With Ktuner, once you flash a certain map, you don't need to have it connected at all times and it will remember that map?

2. With the TSP stage 1 you need to have it connected at all times otherwise it reverts to map1?

3. Also, what does the TSP map 3 have to make such a substantial increase over even the highest ktuner map? What kind of boost is it set to?

4. Other than the tune and maybe an CAI, are there any other relatively inexpensive mods where you could actually feel the power increase in driving and not just on the dyno?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

black18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
For my first mod I'm getting a Ktuner and have a few questions.

1. With Ktuner, once you flash a certain map, you don't need to have it connected at all times and it will remember that map?

2. With the TSP stage 1 you need to have it connected at all times otherwise it reverts to map1?

3. Also, what does the TSP map 3 have to make such a substantial increase over even the highest ktuner map? What kind of boost is it set to?

4. Other than the tune and maybe an CAI, are there any other relatively inexpensive mods where you could actually feel the power increase in driving and not just on the dyno?

Thanks in advance.
1+2: correct
3: higher boost + fuel
4: front + downpipe, CAI for sure, maybe a more open front grille

OP
OP

GTA1977

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks.

I guess I'll start with Ktuner with it's highest map, as I don't want to be bothered with constant switching. Then grab a CAI. I know the PRL CAI gets a lot of love on this forum, however, I hit up various ski resorts in Ontario and Quebec all winter long and can't afford a hydrolock. Would the Won27 be the next best thing in terms of proven power gains for a CAI?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Here is where I would start:
1. Change the OEM air filter for a K&N or if you don't like oiled filters a similar performance dry air filter
2. Change out the OEM MT fluid for Amsoil Synchromesh MT fluid (smoother shifting and smoother transmission performance)
3. Ktuner with TSP Stage 1 tune (looks like you already have this)

These are an inexpensive way to give your car more power and make the driving experience much better. If you are not satisfied by Ktuner, than you will have to look at bolt-ons such as down-pipe etc. For me, these three things did the trick

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
Thanks.

I guess I'll start with Ktuner with it's highest map, as I don't want to be bothered with constant switching. Then grab a CAI. I know the PRL CAI gets a lot of love on this forum, however, I hit up various ski resorts in Ontario and Quebec all winter long and can't afford a hydrolock. Would the Won27 be the next best thing in terms of proven power gains for a CAI?
Be careful, the more aggressive tunes have been known to cause a clutch to slip

black18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks.

If you're gonna want to be running map 3 frequently, definitely start budgeting for a stronger clutch.

I have the 27won intake because I like the design and the company. It sounds great and I noticed great improvements in IATs as well as a slight performance bump. That would be my recommendation, especially if you want to avoid hydrolock.

OP
OP

GTA1977

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Because of potential clutch issues, I will probably stick with Ktuner base 19.5/23.5 map.
Also, are there any Canadian vendors which carry the Won27 CAI?
Black18 - With the Won27 CAI is sound improvement quite noticeably over OEM?

OP
OP

GTA1977

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
For KTuner V1.2 you need to keep it plugged in if you want to avoid having to use the cruise control/cancel to change from map 1 to map2/3. I keep mine plugged in at all times to keep it on Map 2. Also, if you're buying the tune from TSP and not used, you can ask them to have Map 2 preset as the default map instead of 1 and that map will load upon start-up. As stated all over this forum, Ktuner/ TSP tune is easily the best bang for your buck mod for the civic platform.
So even with Ktuner, you need to have it plugged in at all times to have the 19.5/23.5 map load up on start?

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
For KTuner V1.2 you need to keep it plugged in if you want to avoid having to use the cruise control/cancel to change from map 1 to map2/3. I keep mine plugged in at all times to keep it on Map 2. Also, if you're buying the tune from TSP and not used, you can ask them to have Map 2 preset as the default map instead of 1 and that map will load upon start-up. As stated all over this forum, Ktuner/ TSP tune is easily the best bang for your buck mod for the civic platform.
Good to know ! I always have mine plugged in for tuner view regardless.

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
10 posts and nobody has mentioned flex fuel yet? WAYYY better mod for power than all other options already mentioned.

Other inexpensive mods are front strut brace, turbo blanket, and rear motor mount.

Acuity shifter upgrades are also worth a mention.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
So even with Ktuner, you need to have it plugged in at all times to have the 19.5/23.5 map load up on start?
The answer is no if you are using the Ktuner base maps that are on the Ktuner. If you have installed the TSP Stage 1 tune, it will default to Map 1 (an enhanced version of stock) when you turn off the car unless you keep the Ktuner plugged in, than it will stay on the map you selected thru the cruise control cancel button

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
10 posts and nobody has mentioned flex fuel yet? WAYYY better mod for power than all other options already mentioned.

Other inexpensive mods are front strut brace, turbo blanket, and rear motor mount.

lol no one mentioned it because you really need a clutch to get the most out of it

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You're on the right track with KTuner if you want to go faster. Slightly more so if you get TSP stage 1.

I would say anything more than this, you should look into a stronger clutch.

If you want even more past bolt-ons and KTuner, then flex fuel would be the next logical step.

OP
OP

GTA1977

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

Flex fuel is out of the question, I live in Toronto and we don't have it here. Tons of 93 and 94 octane stations though.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Flex fuel is out of the question, I live in Toronto and we don't have it here. Tons of 93 and 94 octane stations though.
I miss Toronto ! I use to live on 10 Yonge St! Now I’m in south FL
Sponsored