Looking to Learn the Ropes: 2016 Coupe EX-T Performance/Body Modifications

MrMackeyMk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey everyone, so I'm looking to boost performance of my 2016 Civic Coupe EX-T and modding the body in due time, but before I go head in I'm doing my researching beforehand, speaking with car enthusiasts, and essentially learning the ropes of things you need to know before getting hands on.

I'm looking for guidance, opinions, and assistance in terms of where to begin modifying your car to boost performance. I'm not looking to race professionally by any means, but want to have even more fun in my car and feel more power. I know that Civics are known for their ability to be modded and large market for aftermarket parts.

So to begin, I asked friends of mine who upgrade their own cars for suggestions on what I should look to do first to my car and every single one of them mentioned to get a car performance chip and a new intake for my vehicle. I come here to ask you all the same question, not that I don't trust them, but to be safe about it I don't just believe everything my friends tell me. So if this is really the best area to begin upgrading my vehicle, what recommendations do you all have? I know that CivicX has sponsors that offer such things, have you all tried these before? Is there anything I should know before buying these parts, things to watch for, warranties, etc..

I really do appreciate any help in this, I'm happy to provide information for anything needed.
Sponsored

CivCoupe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Coupe EX, 2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
Buying an intake for performance alone is not a good idea if that is your only goal. Just an intake will make nominal gains and you probably won't feel it. That being said, I have the Injen short ram intake on my car. It makes your turbo sound pretty awesome since there is no resonator box for the air to flow thru. If you mod it is almost a necessity to tune for those mods. I have tuned with both Hondata Flashpro and KTuner with @VitViper. My car has reacted much better to KTuner, but that's not saying yours won't on either platform. It's all up to you basically. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but for the time being, KTuner does offer more end user options.

If you tune your car (reflash the ECU) you can just about kiss your warranty goodbye entirely. Aftermarket bolt-ons will only void your warranty if the dealership can prove the mod is the cause of a problem.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Hey everyone, so I'm looking to boost performance of my 2016 Civic Coupe EX-T and modding the body in due time, but before I go head in I'm doing my researching beforehand, speaking with car enthusiasts, and essentially learning the ropes of things you need to know before getting hands on.

I'm looking for guidance, opinions, and assistance in terms of where to begin modifying your car to boost performance. I'm not looking to race professionally by any means, but want to have even more fun in my car and feel more power. I know that Civics are known for their ability to be modded and large market for aftermarket parts.

So to begin, I asked friends of mine who upgrade their own cars for suggestions on what I should look to do first to my car and every single one of them mentioned to get a car performance chip and a new intake for my vehicle. I come here to ask you all the same question, not that I don't trust them, but to be safe about it I don't just believe everything my friends tell me. So if this is really the best area to begin upgrading my vehicle, what recommendations do you all have? I know that CivicX has sponsors that offer such things, have you all tried these before? Is there anything I should know before buying these parts, things to watch for, warranties, etc..

I really do appreciate any help in this, I'm happy to provide information for anything needed.
Driver mod is the best mod. Stays with you for life. Go to your local track.

https://nasamidsouth.com/

OP
OP
MrMackeyMk

MrMackeyMk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Buying an intake for performance alone is not a good idea if that is your only goal. Just an intake will make nominal gains and you probably won't feel it. That being said, I have the Injen short ram intake on my car. It makes your turbo sound pretty awesome since there is no resonator box for the air to flow thru. If you mod it is almost a necessity to tune for those mods. I have tuned with both Hondata Flashpro and KTuner with @VitViper. My car has reacted much better to KTuner, but that's not saying yours won't on either platform. It's all up to you basically. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but for the time being, KTuner does offer more end user options.

If you tune your car (reflash the ECU) you can just about kiss your warranty goodbye entirely. Aftermarket bolt-ons will only void your warranty if the dealership can prove the mod is the cause of a problem.
Well I wound't buy the intake alone, I'd plan on doing a flash afterwards for sure. But, you're saying that you wouldn't notice any gains from the air intake alone? Because I'm looking an the Injen Cold Air Intake and it's advertising gains of 29hp and 25lb-ft and it's able to be converted into a short ram intake.

What is the main different between the regular intake and the short ram intake conversion? Any big differences?

Last edited:

CivCoupe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Coupe EX, 2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
Well I wound't buy the intake alone, I'd plan on doing a flash afterwards for sure. But, you're saying that you wouldn't notice any gains from the air intake alone? Because I'm looking an the Injen Cold Air Intake and it's advertising gains of 29hp and 25lb-ft and it's able to be converted into a short ram intake.

What is the main different between the regular intake and the short ram intake conversion? Any big differences?
Even Vit only saw an 8whp gain from stock setup to running a performance intake and stock map. With the cold air intake, you must remove the resonator box and the front bumper to do the install. The air filter will sit outside the engine bay in front of the left front wheel well, but is also then more susceptible to hydrolock since it is closer to the ground. The short ram version you only need to pull the stock intake box out. Although the short ram version comes with a heat shield, it still sits inside the engine bay and draws hotter air. With both setups, the reason why gains are not extraordinary is because the MAF housing is still the same size and still only lets about the same amount of air thru the intake charge pipe. The turbo inlet housing is also sort of "pancaked" as you can see if you pop the hood. Until these 2 bottlenecks in the system are changed you won't see much change in performance, although with a tune you can maximize the mods a bit.
Sponsored