Klamkhowder

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
Hey guys, i have a 2019 EX Hatch and I'm currently looking at doing some minor upgrades to the sound system. My tentative plan is to Sound deaden all the doors and then also upgrade the door speakers. However I'm very inexperienced with car audio so I would really appreciate some input from you guys.

My question is, Do you guys think it would be a good idea to buy a component set and replace both the factory tweeters and door speakers, Or would it be better to just put some really nice full range speakers in the doors and call it a day.

Secondary question. If i go for a component set, I'm a little confused as to how i would wire it up. Since i do have factory tweeters, but don't have amp side crossovers like the touring model has (could be wrong about this IDK) would it be better to just cap off the factory tweeter connection and run the component tweeters off the supplied crossover/door speaker connection? Or go through the trouble of wiring in some kind of crossover into the tweeter like i believe my model currently has.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I'm not sure exactly what setup you have. But I'm old school and prefer a quality co-axial door mounted setup without remotely located tweeters.

So far as I know; you can just delete the tweeters if they are tapped off of the main signal to the speaker. If the tweeter has its own separate channel; you may run into issues with amplifier load and crossover stuff.

Others here have switched from the relatively harsh sounding factory tweeter to a silk dome tweeter and have reported a 'smoother' sound.

When I bought my LX (without the DSP stuff); I really tried to stick with the stock equipment. But the factory speakers were not able to deliver the volume that I wanted. Once they were upgraded; the next weak link was the factory amp that was clipping before I achieved the desired level.

Since you cannot (easily) get rid of the processing in the headunit; I'd try to go with a speaker that compliments (compensates for) it.

A lot of folks (including myself) like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EXOTD56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I prefer a heightened sound stage and since that's what your car has now I'd say keep it that way. If you drop to just coax's your sound stage will drop significantly. Up to you though. I'm also somebody who's gonna be putting mid range speakers in the a pillars soon and get it 3 way separated.

OP
OP

Klamkhowder

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
Thanks for the advice guys.

Another dumb question if you don't mind, I'm of course trying to avoid any clipping in whatever speakers i pick, Is there a limit to the peak power or RMS i should be looking for in whatever speakers i choose to avoid clipping assuming i use the stock, head unit driven amp.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
check my thread
https://www.civicx.com/threads/just-an-lx.26653/

I did full front and rear sound deadening, day and night difference.

Component speakers are must have, they don't cost much, but increase sound quality a lot.
I just want to add amp, otherwise stock HU is not capable to push much power.

I didn't get any clipping, I think I need an amp anyways

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Just for the sake of accurate searches on The Google; amplifiers clip when they start rapidly turning off and on like a rev limiter. Speakers just start distorting when they can't handle the power. A clipping amp will kill a speaker faster than just over-driving it.

... he said. All of the above is just the way it was explained to me. Ain't tryin' to start no debate.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Just for the sake of accurate searches on The Google; amplifiers clip when they start rapidly turning off and on like a rev limiter. Speakers just start distorting when they can't handle the power. A clipping amp will kill a speaker faster than just over-driving it.

... he said. All of the above is just the way it was explained to me. Ain't tryin' to start no debate.
Bruh chill you're right don't doubt yourself.
Sponsored