1.5T Looking for Ideas - Sealed Intake Box (SRI)

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am asking for help on an idea(s) on how to completely seal an SRI (Short Ram Intake). I'm looking to surround my SRI within an airtight box. Anyone have any idea on what material can use to make an air tight box with?

Currently I have a cardboard box around my SRI. The box is covered with aluminum foil and duct tape. This work(s) excellent for testing and performs as I want it too. However, the duct tape adhesive becomes less sticky due to heat. This is allowing for heat to enter the box itself. It is also allowing for any incoming air from my foglight funnel to come out of the box when I'm not accelerating (Ex: Letting off the throttle on the highway). I want the box to be air tight.

Also, the cardboard box becomes soft and flimsy after being heated for so many engine cycles. It's not hurting anything being this way though but this can affect it being air tight like I want it to be.

I can take care of not allowing heat to get in. Any ideas/thoughts on how I can accomplish this is welcomed. The idea being cheap would be a big plus. Not looking for anything expensive. Thanks!
Sponsored

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I am asking for help on an idea(s) on how to completely seal an SRI (Short Ram Intake). I'm looking to surround my SRI within an airtight box. Anyone have any idea on what material can use to make an air tight box with?

Currently I have a cardboard box around my SRI. The box is covered with aluminum foil and duct tape. This work(s) excellent for testing and performs as I want it too. However, the duct tape adhesive becomes less sticky due to heat. This is allowing for heat to enter the box itself. It is also allowing for any incoming air from my foglight funnel to come out of the box when I'm not accelerating (Ex: Letting off the throttle on the highway). I want the box to be air tight.

Also, the cardboard box becomes soft and flimsy after being heated for so many engine cycles. It's not hurting anything being this way though but this can affect it being air tight like I want it to be.

I can take care of not allowing heat to get in. Any ideas/thoughts on how I can accomplish this is welcomed. The idea being cheap would be a big plus. Not looking for anything expensive. Thanks!
I would start by looking at heat resistant plastics/materials you could buy in a sheet and cut to form your box, something just thick enough to use screws to fasten the pieces together and any thin rubber seal material in between to make sure the seams are airtight... just a quick thought of how I would do it.

I cant imagine not being able to find such things for a pretty cheap price if you are willing to look

Reactions: Myx

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
I would start by looking at heat resistant plastics/materials you could buy in a sheet and cut to form your box, something just thick enough to use screws to fasten the pieces together and any thin rubber seal material in between to make sure the seams are airtight... just a quick thought of how I would do it.

I cant imagine not being able to find such things for a pretty cheap price if you are willing to look
Totally agree. There's a retail plastics chain around here called Taps Plastics that will not only cut to size but also fabricate custom dimensions they are given.

I'm sure there's stores like this in your area also.

Reactions: Myx

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Do you have any dimensions in mind? Shoot me a PM.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Totally agree. There's a retail plastics chain around here called Taps Plastics that will not only cut to size but also fabricate custom dimensions they are given.

I'm sure there's stores like this in your area also.

I'll consider this a type of option. Unfortunately Taps Plastics seem to be generally located in California. There's no reason a similar type of chain wouldn't be on the East Coast somewhere.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know Larry from Endyn once used a small trash can to make a airbox around his air filter in his integra .He placed a rubber seal on top so it would seal against the hood.
Honda Civic 10th gen Looking for Ideas - Sealed Intake Box (SRI) on_the_road_again_2

A 2 Gallon trash can will most likely fit (9" x 7" and about 10 to 12" heigh),just need to make a cover or seal against the hood. You Also need to clear the induction piping so you need to make a dent in the box there .(Don't ask me how i know all this :D)
Try looking for HDPE plastic boxes .PRL Also uses HDPE plastic for their type-r airbox.
The plastic can be cut and bend into shape by heating it ,also try using white instead of black plastic .
The color white reflects heat better.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Deskside-Gallon-FG295200BEIG/dp/B004MDM8NS

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-V...&pf_rd_p=b90f070b-c99d-5ad9-93f1-1dd4939e3399

Another "cheap" option is to use fiberglass and make a mold out of Styrofoam .It's cheap and easy to get in shape.
You can glue pieces toghether to get a large box of styrofoam.
Sponsored

Last edited: