mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
This is my first ever CVT equipped vehicle. And to me, honestly it drives like any other automatic. I do notice that at very low speed/rpm it has like an odd feeling. Like a delay or jerks, although I know it's not real gears. It's not a big deal, and it's barely even noticeable, doesn't bother me either. Car drives smooth as I would expect it to.

What's the point of CVT anyway? Is it suppose to be a more cost effective/cheaper solution to a standard automatic transmission?
You can look at some cvt transmission videos on YouTube to explain the advantages. Just imagine having endless gear selection. Then your computer is constantly making changes to these “gears” to get the most power out of your engine. This helps efficiency while giving better performance. They are also smaller and lighter than a conventional transmission which helps to. It definitely takes a getting used to.
Sponsored

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport SGP
Country flag
You can look at some cvt transmission videos on YouTube to explain the advantages. Just imagine having endless gear selection. Then your computer is constantly making changes to these “gears” to get the most power out of your engine. This helps efficiency while giving better performance. They are also smaller and lighter than a conventional transmission which helps to. It definitely takes a getting used to.
I just read an article about CVT. But for me personally I don't feel/notice a difference between CVT and conventional automatic. Maybe my driving style lends to why I can't tell the difference. Or I maybe I just don't care just as long as the car runs smooth? LOL.

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic LX Black Pearl
Country flag
Just uses more power from a smaller engine that is why its called cvt just another name for automatic but fancier because it draws more power and is efficient.

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A conventional automatic transmission uses a complex series of gears to send the engine's power to the wheels. But a CVT has no gears at all. Instead, it uses a pair of variable-width pulleys that are connected by a belt. One pulley connects to the engine, while the other sends power to the wheels.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Yeah you will barely hear it right before redline. And if you are running stock exhaust it’s hard to hear. I know now that I got my exhaust done I can definitely hear it engage, and I’m sure everybody else can to lol

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I just read an article about CVT. But for me personally I don't feel/notice a difference between CVT and conventional automatic. Maybe my driving style lends to why I can't tell the difference. Or I maybe I just don't care just as long as the car runs smooth? LOL.
The difference is more when you are only light to medium on acceleration. I go back and forth between my GenX CVT and our 5 speed auto CRV and find that the very linear delivery of power from the CVT setup feels detached and you can end up moving a lot faster sooner than you realize.

The real win with CVT is fuel economy under all loadings compared to a geared transmission. The computer will set the ratio and engine power to what results in the lowest possible fuel use for what you are demanding in power.

And as I have said to people here and in person, if you don't like the feel of how a CVT accelerates, then you are going to HATE an electric one speed car when they are the only thing out there. I have learned that if you feather the accelerator peddle just right, you can convince the computer to downshift faster than if you just let it do its thing.

But overall, I actually prefer the CVT for daily driving and the 2.0 in my car is quite sufficient for a daily driver where I only do a 30 KM round trip per day and almost all of it at city speeds. I expect this powertrain to completely eclipse my 2001 LX. The engine was perfect but the transmission died at about 250,000 KM. The car was rusting out and was over 16 years old when the tranny died so in came the GenX.

(To those that obsess about rowing gears, I get it. I have driven manual and love the driver engagement but I also like being able to just point this thing and go. I have more than 1.2 million KMs of driving so I am well past the been there, done that stage of my life.)

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The difference is more when you are only light to medium on acceleration. I go back and forth between my GenX CVT and our 5 speed auto CRV and find that the very linear delivery of power from the CVT setup feels detached and you can end up moving a lot faster sooner than you realize.

The real win with CVT is fuel economy under all loadings compared to a geared transmission. The computer will set the ratio and engine power to what results in the lowest possible fuel use for what you are demanding in power.

And as I have said to people here and in person, if you don't like the feel of how a CVT accelerates, then you are going to HATE an electric one speed car when they are the only thing out there. I have learned that if you feather the accelerator peddle just right, you can convince the computer to downshift faster than if you just let it do its thing.

But overall, I actually prefer the CVT for daily driving and the 2.0 in my car is quite sufficient for a daily driver where I only do a 30 KM round trip per day and almost all of it at city speeds. I expect this powertrain to completely eclipse my 2001 LX. The engine was perfect but the transmission died at about 250,000 KM. The car was rusting out and was over 16 years old when the tranny died so in came the GenX.

(To those that obsess about rowing gears, I get it. I have driven manual and love the driver engagement but I also like being able to just point this thing and go. I have more than 1.2 million KMs of driving so I am well past the been there, done that stage of my life.)
I'm just grateful and blessed to have a automatic vehicle, even if it's not a standard automatic. My daily driving necessitates an automatic, manual is really only if I had a second car to play with. Low speed/rpm does behave slightly different than a standard auto, which I'm still getting use to. But doesn't bug me much, I've already understood it not being a standard auto. Nonetheless this car is great!

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Low speed/rpm does behave slightly different than a standard auto, which I'm still getting use to.
I think this could be one of the biggest gains made from a K tune. Something I can't yet speak to but that everyone that has done it says makes it so worth it. Certainly on my list of things to do after this winter.

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think this could be one of the biggest gains made from a K tune. Something I can't yet speak to but that everyone that has done it says makes it so worth it. Certainly on my list of things to do after this winter.
That could be a far future upgrade. Funny thing, since owning the car, I've only driven it hard at least once. I drive this car very conservatively.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Honestly, only time will tell how the reliability and durability of the 1.5 T will be but i am confident.

The oil dilution issue for me was not a major one but was aggravated by the medias and the internet (in my opinion). Just here in this forum, I read more people having concerns than people who actually really had issue with the engine. I trust honda when they say that a small amount of fuel in the oil will not cause a problem since it’s not abnormal for a GDI engine. In my case, I drive 80km per day so i may be in the best condition to avoid oil dilution but anyway, that’s how I feel.

Other than that, I still trust honda for making great engines. I think honda could have come with DI engines way before than 2016 but they decide to test their engines at the extreme to secure durability.

I know by credible source that Honda is one of the car company that take the most time before accepting a very minor change into they engine bay. They are very crazy about testing and that one of the reason I trust them.

So far, common issue such as carbon buildup seem to not affect our 1.5 engine which is a real plus compare to the competition

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Had the 1.5 T for 3-4 weeks and mostly been driving it conservatively so far oil consumption is not too bad. Only 50 percent but I also drive it a lot.

The Japanese learned how to make engines from the Germans in WW2 and refined them. Honda for a long time stayed the course and did not cheap out like Nissan so I trust them for now. If things go downhill then it will be a Toyota next time for me.