1. OP
    OP
    raf702

raf702 Senior Member

First Name:
    Ralf
    Car(s):
    2016 Civic LX-P CVT
    I’ve had the 2.0NA now for almost a week, and it’s the best decision I’ve made! Thanks!

That’s awesome, but my budget could only afford the 2016 at the price I got it for. Or else, I would of settled with at least an 18’. I’ve known Honda engines for so long to be reliable that’s no doubting.

I was unaware there was a bulletin for the 2016+ 1.5T.

ManofGod1000 thanked this.
  2. smulla

smulla Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic LX CVT Silver
    The only thing that was a headache for me was the AC compressor on my 2016 civic died prematurely after my warranty ran out. It was eventually covered under extended warranty but one dealer ripped me off 500 by putting freon and not fixing it.

Heard after a lot of complaining that they will cover it in warranty but it also depends on the dealer.

3. NotSerious

NotSerious Senior Member

First Name:
    No
    Car(s):
    2018CivicLXSedanCVT
    Today's engines (especially Hondas) last longer than the rest of the car, so it is a moot point which engine you get. Even if the 2.0 lasts 150,000 miles longer than the 1.5T, that would mean that the 1.5T would "only" last 250,000 miles (Those 2.0 liter motors are indestructible and could last 400,000 miles). Of course, by 250,000 miles, the CVT, exhaust, suspension, charging system, cooling system, steering, electronics, aircon, injectors,... will all be shot and the car won't be worth fixing.

The only thing I would do different with the Turbo, is change the oil a little more frequently. Take care of your Honda, and it will last a long time.

xbbnx thanked this.
  4. OP
    OP
    raf702

raf702 Senior Member

First Name:
    Ralf
    Car(s):
    2016 Civic LX-P CVT
    I recently read there was a new bulletin that Honda announced a 10-year/unlimited miles warranty on the A/C compressor. Hopefully mine doesn’t run into any issues.

You’re right about every dealer is different on how they handle warranty issues.

I appreciate that!

NotSerious thanked this.
  5. latole

latole Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual

Car(s):
    Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
    On many car mags * I read, they all said don't buy 1.5 turbo, buy the 2L
    2 L engine with MT is very fun.

* As read here too with 1.5 turbo ; oil dilution, poor heat in winter.......

raf702 thanked this.
  6. OP
    OP
    raf702

raf702 Senior Member

First Name:
    Ralf
    Car(s):
    2016 Civic LX-P CVT
    2.0NA has been great, manual just isnt an option for me as a daily driver. And with consistent traffic where I live, I had to let go of my previous car which was a 11' Subaru WRX. Fun car, but driving manual in the conditions I'm in. It got old really fast, I would entertain the 1.5T if it were from a 2018+ model.

7. Jeezer

Jeezer Senior Member

First Name:
    Jesse
    Car(s):
    '19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
    I didn't read through the whole thread, but IMO they are both going to be reliable in the right hands. The 1.5t gets killer mileage and has minor issues. Turbo cars *typically* hold their value a little bit better. I haven't driven a 2.0 but I know that they are very reliable and offer plenty of power. It comes down to you and what you really want. Turbos require maintenance eventually, but every part on a car will have to be serviced at some point. If you really keep it long enough to see those days, there will be so many other factors that will affect the longevity of your car. Just pick whichever one you like and take good care of it. Sometimes I feel like it'd be so much easier if they didn't give us choices :confused:

smulla thanked this.
  8. john21031

john21031 Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    2012 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
    1.5 turbo with direct injection is about one third of reliability of a 2.0 naturally aspirated port injection.

9. etcsthorne

etcsthorne Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
    Empirical data requested......

69L46Vert, frontlinegeek and Deezy thanked this.
  10. coo1rim

coo1rim Senior Member

driver
    Car(s):
    1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic LX
    News to me. Everyone's been saying that Vtec engagement doesn't happen in 1st or 2nd gear without tuner. However, If you're right, it really does need a lower engagement, cause it's basically useless at 6100rpm activation while in 1st and 2nd gear.

11. coo1rim

coo1rim Senior Member

driver
    Car(s):
    I feel safer and more comfortable for daily driving in my 2.0L 6MT. I'm saying this after coming from a 2012 Camry and driving it for 300000KM. 2.0L 6MT's shifting doesn't fatigue, extra level of control is comforting when you need to put down the power for unexpected situations. When I'm low on fuel and money, I can hyper-mill by maximizing on engine coasting (coasting in gear stops fuel going into the engine) and return consumption that CVT can't match.

raf702 thanked this.
  12. coo1rim

coo1rim Senior Member

driver
    Car(s):
    CVT 2.0L is a sad setup. Turbo or a manual (or both) is a much better setup to exploit the potential of GenX's chassis.

13. gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    Didn't your mother tell you if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it? :cool: Don't judge someone else's choice until you walk a mile in their shoes. I'm sure most CVT 2.0 owners are happy with their cars. Better tires and a KTuner will up the ante quite nicely on that combo.

frontlinegeek, raf702 and Deezy thanked this.
  14. smulla

smulla Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic LX CVT Silver
    As far as reliability had close to 60k miles felt I was changing oil every 2 months or less on the 2lt cvt. The battery died in 2 years and the tires were basically dead by 50k miles so I replaced them. Even with these issues I did like the car, but I felt the car was eating up the oil.

Probably will have similar issues but what I did notice is the battery on this is decent and I am not noticing any weird electrical issues on the turbo yet. I most likely will have problems once my car will get into an accident.

15. mvela

mvela Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
    Yeah it happens quick but it’s there. In second you can barely hear it engage if you run it up to redline before you shift. But now with the ktuner it stays engaged longer so now you even notice it in first! It’s quick but you can definitely hear it. It helps pull in the top end better. Is yours tuned?