Live Pics: Civic Type R at 2017 NYIAS

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
I do find it a bit odd they still put in a 12-speaker sound system and apple/android play. I remember when Type R meant "barely any sound deadening" let alone comforts.

Even a 6 or 4 speaker would have been just fine. That would be a couple extra lbs off, and being track focused it wouldn't be hard to explain why its not 12. Hell my Altima only has 6, and at most 9 in the upgrade system, and its not race focused at all.

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Wing and Side Mirrors look to be gloss black - not CF. I'm fine with that.

One question, @Administrator, are they actually letting people get up in the car (when the show opens?) or is it just open today for press? I'd like to take off next Wednesday and come down to see it, but I don't want to come all that way (3.5hr train ride) just to look at it from the outside...

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
After looking at the pics of this car over and over, I just don't feel excited anymore...maybe a test drive could change that :drive:

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
I do find it a bit odd they still put in a 12-speaker sound system and apple/android play. I remember when Type R meant "barely any sound deadening" let alone comforts.
Honestly I find everything that Honda is doing, odd at this point.

In the Si threads people are saying "If you want a hardcore race car, then go with a Type R!!" when people mention the lack of power in the Si. The Type R is just as (if not more) feature rich as the Si, which is fine by me since I would make the CTR a DD; but the CTR is nowhere near the hardcore nature that people are saying...maybe in "+R" mode but there is literally a Comfort mode here in a supposed dedicated track car.

The way they option their models, especially among different markets (ie: Sport Touring as CVT only in the US) continues to baffle me.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Honestly I find everything that Honda is doing, odd at this point.

In the Si threads people are saying "If you want a hardcore race car, then go with a Type R!!" when people mention the lack of power in the Si. The Type R is just as (if not more) feature rich as the Si, which is fine by me since I would make the CTR a DD; but the CTR is nowhere near the hardcore nature that people are saying...maybe in "+R" mode but there is literally a Comfort mode here in a supposed dedicated track car.

The way they option their models, especially among different markets (ie: Sport Touring as CVT only in the US) continues to baffle me.
I completely agree.
This has a lot of potential, but needs significant component deletion to really be a 'race car.'
Hopefully there are some options even though we know there won't be anything beyond the Touring line.

InitialDougie

1st PMM CTR delivery & only 2017 Sold @ MSRP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, RSX Type S, CTR
Country flag
If you haven't been following along this type of stuff starts a firestorm on this board with people wishing/hoping/finding it odd it had this option or lacks that option.

Cant we just be happy we are getting this one? I am...

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
If you haven't been following along this type of stuff starts a firestorm on this board with people wishing/hoping/finding it odd it had this option or lacks that option.

Cant we just be happy we are getting this one? I am...
Just feels like they are making the R less race focused and more Boy Racer focused. The Si is less Boy Racer and more "sporty family mover".

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
Country flag
Well, at least it comes with what most of us have been waiting for:
1. LED front headlights on a manual
2. Push button start with a manual
3. a 7 inch screen instead of the dreaded 5 inch on a manual
4. Navigation?
No moonroof/leather with a manual yet but I suppose that is okay...