Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting.......new like the stubby knob and new hvac controls but new audio? no buttons or knobs right after they added them? and for the wheel? would feel better in the winter since for a near 40k car no heated seats or steering wheel.
doesn't add too much weight to add heating elements and wiring to support this... I daily my Type R in Chicago and would Love some heated seats and wheel..
Sponsored

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
or price tag
Id' wager 39-40K for 2020. They can justify the increase for the new safety features and "enhanced" fake exhaust audio.. I remember the old days when 34K was msrp..

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Id' wager 39-40K for 2020. They can justify the increase for the new safety features and "enhanced" fake exhaust audio.. I remember the old days when 34K was msrp..
@TypeSiR has seen rumors of a $40230 MSRP floating around on FB, which sounds about right given the history of price increases since launch, plus the inclusion of sensing and stuff.

The problem is.. that’s going to place the CTR very close in price to both the Golf R and WRX STI. You can argue the CTR is a better car than both of those, but one of the great things about the CTR was that it significantly undercut the prices of those competitors by several thousands of dollars. Now the price delta will be much smaller.

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@TypeSiR has seen rumors of a $40230 MSRP floating around on FB, which sounds about right given the history of price increases since launch, plus the inclusion of sensing and stuff.

The problem is.. that’s going to place the CTR very close in price to both the Golf R and WRX STI. You can argue the CTR is a better car than both of those, but one of the great things about the CTR was that it significantly undercut the prices of those competitors by several thousands of dollars. Now the price delta will be much smaller.
Honda has been riding the Type R gravy train and has now with steady price increases and up till 2020 no new features. the Honda sensing suite is a nice addition, but other markets outside NA have had this since launch day 2017. for 40k Honda better bring more than sensing a new color and wheel shift knob. the chassis refinements and brakes are nice. but not 40K nice. We know FWD is not an issue for our Type R's but those cross shopping between 40k hot hatches will see the lack of AWD at this price point as a huge negative. not to mention when the next gen STI is revealed 40k will be very hard to justify. Our NA Type R's are the touring trim, but just led headlights and sat Nav doesn't cut it. we don't even have lane watch or heated rear view mirrors!! Honda needs to add more to price more. Add heated seats, steering wheel, rear view mirrors. Add the Accord infotainment system!!!! instead of fake exhaust and new brakes/pads . Most who track their R's swap them out anyways.

Last edited:

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
I remember the old days when 34K was msrp
Yeah, the 2017 MY release was a pipe dream...I remember at the time I couldn't believe the value. Then once the car hit dealers it became evident that virtually no one would be getting the car at MSRP. Hell...almost 3 years later all my local dealers have $10k mark up on the window, amazing really

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, the 2017 MY release was a pipe dream...I remember at the time I couldn't believe the value. Then once the car hit dealers it became evident that virtually no one would be getting the car at MSRP. Hell...almost 3 years later all my local dealers have $10k mark up on the window, amazing really
Greed is never amazing...Mine was a 2017 #00006 she sat there at the dealer for 2 years never sold, they wanted 45k for it Msrp was 34,775
July 2019 I took my 17 Si for an oil change and saw the R still there, I made a joke about how much they want now 50K?
the sales man just shook his head, said no I said how much, he said ill let you talk to the sales manager. He said 35K, I replied with sell it for 2017 msrp you got a deal. two and a half hours later she was mine.

Honda Civic 10th gen Live Pics: 2020 Civic Type R in Boost Blue From CAS Type r dealer

Honda Civic 10th gen Live Pics: 2020 Civic Type R in Boost Blue From CAS 00006

Honda Civic 10th gen Live Pics: 2020 Civic Type R in Boost Blue From CAS My typer2

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
I replied with sell it for 2017 msrp you got a deal. two and a half hours later she was mine.
Brilliant story. Sort of a vindication feeling after reading that. I remember a few things from finance in business school back in college, one of them being, "a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow" because of the concept of compound interest.

Well in this case, the dealer lost money by holding onto that car for two years. Your gain was their loss, simply brilliant. Thanks for sharing

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
Honda has been riding the Type R gravy train and has now with steady price increases and up till 2020 no new features. the Honda sensing suite is a nice addition, but other markets outside NA have had this since launch day 2017. for 40k Honda better bring more than sensing a new color and wheel shift knob. the chassis refinements and brakes are nice. but not 40K nice. We know FWD is not an issue for our Type R's but those cross shopping between 40k hot hatches will see the lack of AWD at this price point as a huge negative. not to mention when the next gen STI is revealed 40k will be very hard to justify. Our NA Type R's are the touring trim, but just led headlights and sat Nav doesn't cut it. we don't even have lane watch or heated rear view mirrors!! Honda needs to add more to price more. Add heated seats, steering wheel, rear view mirrors. Add the Accord infotainment system!!!! instead of fake exhaust and new brakes/pads . Most who track their R's swap them out anyways.
No thanks. What makes the Type R special is it’s ability to outperform cars above it’s class and even AWD counterparts. I don’t think it needs more options and will remain a bargain even at $40k considering the performance. I appreciate the 17-19 models staying as true to form in the US by being as bare bones as possible like the Type Rs of old. On the positive the 20 year offers more for those wanting it.

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Brilliant story. Sort of a vindication feeling after reading that. I remember a few things from finance in business school back in college, one of them being, "a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow" because of the concept of compound interest.

Well in this case, the dealer lost money by holding onto that car for two years. Your gain was their loss, simply brilliant. Thanks for sharing
Thanks! Don't know if the dealer lost money... They never loose, they still sold it at msrp and I'm sure they sold a few Si's once the customers saw the 45K asking price. But They just didn't make a 10k profit, I wanted her at Msrp to make a point to them.
and I told the sales manager that when he gave me the keys. "I said I tried to buy this in 2017 when she arrived, but you were too greedy." "Thanks for holding on to her for two years for me"

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No thanks. What makes the Type R special is it’s ability to outperform cars above it’s class and even AWD counterparts. I don’t think it needs more options and will remain a bargain even at $40k considering the performance. I appreciate the 17-19 models staying as true to form in the US by being as bare bones as possible like the Type Rs of old. On the positive the 20 year offers more for those wanting it.
Would you complain if your Type R had every thing I said as standard for the price? Would you honestly complain that you got too much for your money?? would any one?

SSchmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman R, E30 M3
Country flag
Would you complain if your Type R had every thing I said as standard for the price? Would you honestly complain that you got too much for your money?? would any one?
There is something to be said about a simple/light/less-expensive car without every single bell and whistle. Heated steering wheel/lane assist/HondaSense/Auto high beams/Massaging seats/Leather key fob are all great, but they add weight/cost and for a CTR, those are the antithesis of what this car is about.

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is something to be said about a simple/light/less-expensive car without every single bell and whistle. Heated steering wheel/lane assist/HondaSense/Auto high beams/Massaging seats/Leather key fob are all great, but they add weight/cost and for a CTR, those are the antithesis of what this car is about.
It's a track car that can and is used as a daily. If you can afford to have one as a track toy then good on ya. If it's your only car then for the original MSRP of US $34,700 I would completely agree 100% that's an absolute steal (not including dealer greed) but for +37k? if not more currently.
But it's getting really hard to justify the same car a new paint color and a volume knob, I'm not sorry I want more for my money. It's not 1997 any more and things change. Why would Honda offer a Type R in a touring trim if it's a bare bones race car? by your logic it would be be stripped down, no AC or HVAC if you're really going hard core no audio, no Led lighting, no Abs no auto rev matching, and sure lets get really basic, no adaptive suspension... The added weight of heating elements wiring harness and two switches would be less than five pounds max. That would go towards justifying the price increases.
sounds like the Type R you want is this https://hpd.honda.com/Articles/Touring/TypeR
Honda Civic 10th gen Live Pics: 2020 Civic Type R in Boost Blue From CAS HPD-Civic-Type-R-Race-Car-Sonoma

Last edited:

SSchmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman R, E30 M3
Country flag
by your logic it would be be stripped down, no AC or HVAC if you're really going hard core no audio, no Led lighting, no Abs no auto rev matching, and sure lets get really basic, no adaptive suspension...
the car you describe is this https://hpd.honda.com/Articles/Touring/TypeR
No - it's just as you said - a track car that can be DD'd or vice versa. It's not a luxury car or a full-blown track car. Some of us don't need or want EVERY single bell and whistle available on this type of car. For that, we can get an Accord/BMW/Buick. Some creature comforts are good, but look at BMW - they are so expensive these days and have strayed from their roots. Adaptive headlights, motorized seat bolsters, heads up display, etc. I'd happily buy a simple E30 or E46 BMW if they still made them. Simple, quick, light, all-purpose street/sometimes-track car.

For a pure track car, a Type R is not a great choice. Buy a 911 CUP car or or stripped Cayman / GT4 Clubsport. FWD Type R wouldn't even be in the running.

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No - it's just as you said - a track car that can be DD'd or vice versa. It's not a luxury car or a full-blown track car. Some of us don't need or want EVERY single bell and whistle available on this type of car. For that, we can get an Accord/BMW/Buick. Some creature comforts are good, but look at BMW - they are so expensive these days and have strayed from their roots. Adaptive headlights, motorized seat bolsters, heads up display, etc. I'd happily buy a simple E30 or E46 BMW if they still made them. Simple, quick, light, all-purpose street/sometimes-track car.

For a pure track car, a Type R is not a great choice. Buy a 911 CUP car or or stripped Cayman / GT4 Clubsport. FWD Type R wouldn't even be in the running.
If I wanted a luxury car I would of gotten a Audi or BMW for the price, But I got a Type R instead. For what I payed for her, I have little room to complain. But asking +37K now... Not sorry I want more than a volume knob and infotainment and fan speed buttons.
Sorry to burst your bubble but looks like nearly every manufacture has lost they way and forgotten their roots because as the prices go up customers expect and rightfully demand more. Like I said it's not 1997 anymore.

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
I appreciate the R being more barebones like Rs of the past. I don’t want all of the extra crap. If I cared about leather, active braking, et cetera I would’ve bought a Golf R.
Sponsored