Lifetime Powertrain Warranty

Mr.Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Black
So a couple of dealerships in my area are offering a lifetime powertrain warranty on new Hondas, as long as I adhere to the Manufacturer's Recommended maintenance schedule. What does a schedule like that look like? and what could that cost in the long run? heres a link to one of the dealerships details about it. http://www.tampahonda.com/Honda-Lifetime-Warranty.html
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Mostly garbage in my opinion. One of the terms is that you service your car regularly. If you do, you wont need the power train warranty for 15 years, and by then, you'll want a new vehicle should you need to use warranty anyway.

Oil changes every 8000 miles I say. $40
Tire rotations - $50
Brake inspections and all that on B services could cost $200

Services for valve adjustments and all that I don't know because I've never owned a car long enough to do those.

OP
OP
Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Black
Mostly garbage in my opinion. One of the terms is that you service your car regularly. If you do, you wont need the power train warranty for 15 years, and by then, you'll want a new vehicle should you need to use warranty anyway.

Oil changes every 8000 miles I say. $40
Tire rotations - $50
Brake inspections and all that on B services could cost $200

Services for valve adjustments and all that I don't know because I've never owned a car long enough to do those.
I asked my dealer what I have to do, and he said just do what the maintenance reminder tells you on the car.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Here's my stealership's "guarantee": http://www.tameronhondaeasternshore.com/lifetime-powertrain-warranty

The maintenance minder came up last week, so I called to schedule an oil change. I was told the price out the door was $54. Not great, but whatever. Show up this morning for the service, and I'm told that the $54 change doesn't comply with the warranty. For that I have to get the $85 oil change.

Got my keys back and left.

I'm an optimist, so this experience just saved me about $100 / year on over-priced oil changes, plus the inevitable frustration of trying to actually use the dealer "warranty" in the future.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
What was the extra $31 supposed to buy? A payment on the lifetime warranty?

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
What was the extra $31 supposed to buy? A payment on the lifetime warranty?
{reply from service manager}uh, uh, uh, well it also comes with our 31 point inspection and we top off the washer fluid!

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
{reply from service manager}uh, uh, uh, well it also comes with our 31 point inspection and we top off the washer fluid!
Wow. That's cool. A 31-point inspection for $31. Imagine that.

Dragon Systems

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring, 2007 Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess im a little late to this party, but thought I would post this here rather than making a new thread. I bought a 2017 in late 2017 in Marysville, WA, and they included the lifetime powertrain warranty. Honestly, I like the peace of mind because of the fact that it is pretty much a brand new powertrain, not a proven reliable design. I find the experience the other user had with regards to oil changes quite interesting because the Honda dealership I purchased at also included lifetime oil changes for free as well, and every time I get it done I always ask if they recommend I spend a little more on whatever the next grade up oil is and they actually, believe it or not, always insist that in fact I do not need a higher quality than Honda standard spec for the car, nor do they even recommend it

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
on cars I care about or drive hard I don't care about warranty. I can afford the expense and have the knowhow and time to fix it myself with more care than a mechanic following black book time.

If I wanted a car I don't care about I would have bought a Hyundai as their warranty is much better

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
the dealership is gambling that you won't have any issues with your car. Or if you do it won't exceed the cost that they are charging you. One of the caveat is that you're paying dealership prices for all of these services so you're basically paying a mark up as it is

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
whos lifetime? what do they consider the lifetime?

Dragon Systems

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring, 2007 Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The length of time you own the car, however long that is... im guessing the figure, rightly so, that most people who buy new cars either lease them or buy a new one at the end of the finance period.... boy are they in for a surprise with me...

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
So a couple of dealerships in my area are offering a lifetime powertrain warranty on new Hondas, as long as I adhere to the Manufacturer's Recommended maintenance schedule. What does a schedule like that look like? and what could that cost in the long run? heres a link to one of the dealerships details about it. http://www.tampahonda.com/Honda-Lifetime-Warranty.html
Local Honda Dealer in Bridgewater NJ - $20 labor and disposal of old oil and filter, if customer brings oil and filter. They supply crush washer. I use Mobil1 Annual Performance oil (0w20) and Honda filter, but the better one with metal instead of paper where it connects to engine. Oil change interval; either the maintenance minder, six months or 7,500 miles. First oil change at 6K miles. Since then, oil looks new, no usage with spirited driving.

All other items I follow BavAuto's requirements. It was good enough for my M235, so good enough for my 2017 Civic touring. https://www.bavauto.com/media/imports/inst_pages/f22mc.pdf
Sponsored