First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stitch, I read that seeing at night on wet/rainy rural roads with LED retrofits is an issue...do you have any experience with this? I'm think of trying the OPT7 bulbs soon.
Color temp will really affect wet conditions. I have 3000K HID in my WRX fog lights and amber halogens in my Civic fog lights. The yellow/amber light REALLY reflects back to the driver in wet conditions. When you start getting past 4300k temp (pure white) and more into the blue spectrum, it gets REALLY hard to see at night when it's wet. Doesn't matter if it's LED or HID
Sponsored

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan, 2006 Scion TC
Stitch, I read that seeing at night on wet/rainy rural roads with LED retrofits is an issue...do you have any experience with this? I'm think of trying the OPT7 bulbs soon.
With the OPT7 I do not, no, as my car is not yet registered (estate probate) so I only drive it a mile or two at a time to keep the tires in rotation, the battery alive (of which is dead now lol), and the fuel semi sloshed/mixed (has stabil in it).

I can say however I used the Philips LEDs before this, and while they sucked, they sucked just as bad in rain as in dry weather. Lol not sure if that helps. I feel like it was still brighter than halogen in the rain FWIW.
With dark night time rain I personally used to use HID fog lights to cut through the BS. I have yet to use LED fog lights (though I plan to soon) so I cannot fairly answer this question unfortunately.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Color temp will really affect wet conditions. I have 3000K HID in my WRX fog lights and amber halogens in my Civic fog lights. The yellow/amber light REALLY reflects back to the driver in wet conditions. When you start getting past 4300k temp (pure white) and more into the blue spectrum, it gets REALLY hard to see at night when it's wet. Doesn't matter if it's LED or HID
I think this is where LED could really shine (all puns intended) as you could potentially get an LED bulb that could wirelessly switch between kelvins at the push of a button.
Now THAT is something they need to incorporate into cars. A 5k LED foglight that automatically switches to 3K when you turn on your wipers.

COPYRIGHT! PATENT PENDING!

Edit: Son of a b**** http://www.ebay.com/itm/H11-Dual-Fu...ash=item3d322fb2f2:g:xXEAAOSwCGVX6XY-&vxp=mtr

Someone buy these before I do and tell me if they're awesome or not. Kinda want them!

Last edited:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think this is where LED could really shine (all puns intended) as you could potentially get an LED bulb that could wirelessly switch between kelvins at the push of a button.
Now THAT is something they need to incorporate into cars. A 5k LED foglight that automatically switches to 3K when you turn on your wipers.

COPYRIGHT! PATENT PENDING!

Edit: Son of a b**** http://www.ebay.com/itm/H11-Dual-Fu...ash=item3d322fb2f2:g:xXEAAOSwCGVX6XY-&vxp=mtr

Someone buy these before I do and tell me if they're awesome or not. Kinda want them!
Man that's cool. I have RGB demon eyes in my WRX head lights, but they are just accent. I doubt that would be bright enough to use as a headlight, but it's definitely gonna be brighter than what I have.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man that's cool. I have RGB demon eyes in my WRX head lights, but they are just accent. I doubt that would be bright enough to use as a headlight, but it's definitely gonna be brighter than what I have.
If only they made a bright one. Genuinely, a 8000 lumen 3k/5k switchable led bulb would be wicked pissah.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Ive ran the Morimoto LEDs based on their claims.. In a a reflector, it's just as bad as HIDs. In a projector, there is no hotspot and too much foreground light. The optics just weren't designed for it. Factory LEDs are designed around the diode from the ground up.

streetwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
i ordered 6500 35watt morimoto hids yesterday from retrofit source. They gave me promo code TRSFBLIKE . Not sure if it still will work but figured i would let anyone know incase they are ordering.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW HID are 3200-3500 lumens per bulb. LED bulbs (aftermarket) are now averaging 4000-4500 lumens per bulb. So scientifically and on paper, the brightness is there.
It's just a matter of cracking the best method of executing it's distribution out of your projector in a way that can at minimum mimic HID if not exceed it.

CosmicSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Thanks guys...think I'll just stick with halogens for now although I might try some LEDs when I have an extra $80-100 ;)

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just tested out the OPT7 Fluxbeam X's last night and I have to say I was disappointed. I'm putting the OG OPT7 LED's back in because they were brighter and more intense. Oh well, just thought I would try them.
It is scientifically impossible for the FluxBeam X to not be as bright as the originals as the LEDs are both upgraded and driven higher which in turn produces higher lumen.

The X style has an additional 1,000 lumens. That's no small difference.

Keep in mind the driver on the Fluxbeam X has also changed. Did you just plug the X bulbs into the old style driver and harness?
If you're using the old driver that's why, because the old driver won't overdrive them into a higher lumen.

Are you using both styles in the same car, same headlight? Did you check to ensure one of the LEDs on the stick wasn't burnt out, and that all plugs were secure?

I'm sorry, but without photos I simply cannot take this as fact, as I have owned the original OPT7 FluxBeam in H1, as well as the FluxBeam X in H1, and the difference in performance is blatant.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I am using them in the same car, same setup and using all the equipment that they came with. I'm even using the ECM capacitors. As you stated, I too was hoping for a significant improvement seeing as the X's are higher rated.

Also, you can only use X's harness with X bulbs and Original X with Original bulbs. They're 2 different connections
Very odd. I suppose there's an equal likelihood you got a defective under-performing unit, as the possibility I got one that performs better-than-the-norm since I also have zero dark/hotspots and a clean cutoff which apparently doesn't happen with LEDs generally.

I swear by the time I get this car transferred into my name they're gonna have 20,000 lumen 360 degree super ultra plasma LEDs anyways.

On a side note, I found parts to my old RetroFitSource HID kit from my last Acura and threw them into my RSX.
I can say without a doubt it is brighter than LEDs. Looks like crap without projectors though.

OP
OP
VIto416

VIto416

I ♥️ Honda
First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now I really wanna compare Fluxbeam X vs the older ones because my lights have been very very good in all weather conditions and no black spots or flickering

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, they looked used when I got the package direct from OPT7. I've had the Originals almost a year now with no problems so I'll be sticking with those.
The cutoff was clearly defined on the X's but they just didn't impress me.

What other LED's are equal or better than OPT7? I hear the Morimoto ones got so so reviews and I'm not paying $250 for the PIAA's LOL
As of current i've been looking at Hikari:
https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headl...7-spons&keywords=led+headlight+h1+lumen&psc=1

Uses the new CREE XHP50 chip which is the best currently on the market so that's something to be said. 9,600 lumens is impressive too.
The price is certainly better than OPT7. I like how it comes with some T10s also. Customer reviews look promising as do the photos.
I have to mention though in some photos I am noticing hot spots. Not sure if they have projector or reflector housings but it's something to note.

All in all, dollar for dollar, I kinda wish I found these before OPT7 just to give them a try and potentially save the $30 difference if they are apple to apple.

As for PIAA, they are $250+ for 3,700 lumens per bulb. 7,400 lumens. Not bad but nothing special for the price. If I can get 9600 for $180 less, you bet your ass I will. Lol.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now I really wanna compare Fluxbeam X vs the older ones because my lights have been very very good in all weather conditions and no black spots or flickering
Which style do you have? IDK anyone in person with the old and my old ones sold with my old car. Shame cuz i'd love to install both in a side by side.
Sponsored