spaghettixsauce

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
wrong. HIDs drop ins take literally 10 minutes to install as well. And in a pitch black place this is exactly what you want, I dont even need high beams so its the perfect example but Ill put more below. I had an led set that burnt out in 45 days, 2nd set lasted 6 months. Im 2 years in on my HIDs on my civic and my TSX is on its original HIDs 15 years later. HID do not glare, did you not see the cutoff in my picture. I dont blind anyone and never get flashed. oh and you what LED drop ins cant do? melt the ice on your headlights. Also here, in the city. Dont be mad. The facts are and even TRS will tell you that HIDs are still the superior light in automotive headlights.
upload_2019-2-7_11-18-53.png

upload_2019-2-7_11-20-58.png

IMG_4878.jpg
Dallas, whats your setup? sorry I probably should have gone back and searched a little. I was also wondering if you adjusted your aim up cause it seems a little high for me. Not trying to knock you, just curious is all.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dallas, whats your setup? sorry I probably should have gone back and searched a little. I was also wondering if you adjusted your aim up cause it seems a little high for me. Not trying to knock you, just curious is all.
Morimoto Elite 35w 6500K h11b with relay. No, haven't aimed them from factory positioning. They never hit anything above the trunk of the car in front of me.

spaghettixsauce

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Morimoto Elite 35w 6500K h11b with relay. No, haven't aimed them from factory positioning. They never hit anything above the trunk of the car in front of me.
Ah okay. Just seemed a little high in the pic with the garage door. That could be because of the street. Good stuff tho, seems like a huge upgrade from what you had before.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is from GTR lighting's own bulb description. They make premium LEDs that seem to be well regarded

https://gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting-ultra-series-led-headlight-bulbs-h8-h9-h11-3rd-generation/

Projector Headlights: Generally speaking the best thing to use in a projector application is either a halogen (if it was designed for that) or an HID/Xenon bulb (if it was designed for that). Using an LED bulb will work on some halogen projector applications but chances are doing an HID conversion will yield better/brighter light than ANY LED bulb. The technology used in designing this LED bulb is based on mimicking the attributes of a halogen/incandescent bulb, so any halogen housing they should work but your results may vary

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
This is from GTR lighting's own bulb description. They make premium LEDs that seem to be well regarded

https://gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting-ultra-series-led-headlight-bulbs-h8-h9-h11-3rd-generation/

Projector Headlights: Generally speaking the best thing to use in a projector application is either a halogen (if it was designed for that) or an HID/Xenon bulb (if it was designed for that). Using an LED bulb will work on some halogen projector applications but chances are doing an HID conversion will yield better/brighter light than ANY LED bulb. The technology used in designing this LED bulb is based on mimicking the attributes of a halogen/incandescent bulb, so any halogen housing they should work but your results may vary
That’s a lie to get you to buy his overpriced hid conversions. It’s a scam. If you look at the $120 LEDs above you’ll see they have the exact same output as the HID kit. You’ll just have to pay $120 bucks for LEDs which is a terrible purchasing decision.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That’s a lie to get you to buy his overpriced hid conversions. It’s a scam. If you look at the $120 LEDs above you’ll see they have the exact same output as the HID kit. You’ll just have to pay $120 bucks for LEDs which is a terrible purchasing decision.
the $120 do not have the EXACT same output, did you not look at the words I wrote and the pictures in detail? And to top it off, the Morimoto LEDs in the picture were trash in the rain.

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
the $120 do not have the EXACT same output, did you not look at the words I wrote and the pictures in detail? And to top it off, the Morimoto LEDs in the picture were trash in the rain.
A little bit of light missing on the edges makes little to no difference. The middle of the road is lit up just as well as the hids it just doesn’t push the light farther and avoids blinding oncoming traffic. His posts says they don’t work in default lens which you yourself have proved wrong with the pictures. They clearly work just as well.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A little bit of light missing on the edges makes little to no difference. The middle of the road is lit up just as well as the hids it just doesn’t push the light farther and avoids blinding oncoming traffic. His posts says they don’t work in default lens which you yourself have proved wrong with the pictures. They clearly work just as well.
They dont work just as well is the point. They dont throw as far and they dont work in the rain. the HIDs are not blinding people either, are you crazy? The middle of the road is not lit up the same, its dumped in front of the bumper like a fog light so you will out drive the useful light in any precip or fog. Its ok to admit you were wrong. You can run whatever crappy led you want, I really dont care, but you aren't going to sit here and tell me LEDs are better or even equal to HIDs they are not.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The photo above with the retrofit has HIDs, not LEDs. The comparison farther up shows that HIDs are clearly superior to LEDs. The LEDs concentrate the light 10' in front of the car, which is useless for night driving and will cause pupils to contract, making night vision worse.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a link to a product page for a set of $200 led headlights. They themselves are making a disclaimer for their own highly rated, very expensive product because they know no two projectors are alike and that hid generally performs better

I switched from led drop in to hid in for similar reasons others have. The throw wasnt as long or wide as halogen. Blue headlights are crap in rain and fog which it does a lot where I live. On top of which, led suffered after adding headlight vinyl

Top is led
Bottom is hid drop-in

The bottom image has a much brighter hotspot. Nether have the throw a halogen or conversion will give

Honda Civic 10th gen LED VS HID IMG_20190106_175556

Honda Civic 10th gen LED VS HID IMG_20190125_180616

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a link to a product page for a set of $200 led headlights. They themselves are making a disclaimer for their own highly rated, very expensive product because they know no two projectors are alike and that hid generally performs better

I switched from led drop in to hid in for similar reasons others have. The throw wasnt as long or wide as halogen. Blue headlights are crap in rain and fog which it does a lot where I live. On top of which, led suffered after adding headlight vinyl

Top is led
Bottom is hid drop-in

The bottom image has a much brighter hotspot. Nether have the throw a halogen or conversion will give

IMG_20190106_175556.jpg

IMG_20190125_180616.jpg
The top photo shows another issue LEDs, they light throw varies so much depending on where and how many diodes are on the LED. You clearly had a dead dark spot dead center of the lights which means which every way the diodes were facing was incorrect and not throwing a beam covering the entire road in front of you. The LED lovers will never accept the drop ins suck. As LED advancements occur in the industry it will get better, but the problem is, the $40 leds will always suck but people will buy them because they are too cheap to pay for the good stuff. If they had the retro quick kit when I bought my HID I would have done it. I probably should upgrade from my HID kit to the retro anyway.

Honda Civic 10th gen LED VS HID upload_2019-2-8_9-24-6

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
Dallas' images illustrate my experience with head-mounted LED lighting vs halogen - both in camping and biking. LEDs tends to dump the light more than throw it, and this is especially apparent in precipitation. Dallas is the one in this discussion that has backed up his argument with objective data, and that's what we have so far. Can anyone point to an independent and professional source that backs up their contentions?

M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT, 2002 Honda Accord SE 5MT
Country flag
It's not wattage that kills your factory wiring, it's amperage. Some HID ballast draw a lot of amperage to ignite the bulbs OEM Denso ones draw 10-12 amps per ballast. They then settle down to 35W. I know that 35W hyluxtek ballast only draw about 2-4amps per ballast to ignite.. those would be safe to run without a harness. Bottom line.. harnesses are for peace of mind, they supply direct power which allows bulbs to "warm up" faster. They aren't required with a low draw ballast but for anything else they're required.
Shopping for pnp Hid upgrade for my Hatchback and my initial thought from reading the boards was to go with Morimoto Elites but then talking with one of the few Canadian companies that is an Authorized Dealer/Distributor of Morimoto and they are pointing me in a different direction.. theu recommend Hylux/CN Lights kit.
https://www.prolightz.com/hid/hid-systems/hylux-cn-light-combo-hid-system.html
They claim it performs just as well as the Morimoto and has had less issues with reliabilty and they are actually a few bucks cheaper than the Morimoto Elites.
I'm not worried about the extra money for the Morimoto's if they are in fact the better, more dependable hid's but if others are seeing positive results with the Hylux/CN Lights setup, well then, my decision will be more difficult.

Does anyone have experience with this kit and/or CN Lights (bulbs)?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored