LED headlights.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The LED headlights were rated poor due to excessive glare. The illumination they provide is very good (too good?) as evidenced by the illumination distance graphic.

This is very evident when driving on a non-illuminated road at night that is lined with trees. You will see weird "light sprites" appear all around high up on the trees, like little streaks of light to the sides. It seems like the design of the reflectors leak light in undesired directions causing glare to oncoming traffic and the poor rating from IIHS.
Look at the graph and read the summary below the graph again. The LED headlights were rated poor due to excessive glare and because illumination was inadequate on both left curves and on the left side of the road on straightaways.

Excessive glare can't be understated. It's arguably more of a danger since it can dazzle multiple, oncoming drivers. Inadequate illumination primarily puts only the driver at risk of running into something they can't see. The lesser of the two evils is inadequate illumination.

The Ridgeline/Pilot's LED projector (low beam - the high beams are halogen reflectors) headlights have slightly better illumination levels than the Civic's LED headlights, but never exceeded glare limits. They received the highest possible rating of "good" - the only pickup to receive that rating. Ironically, I get flashed in my Ridgeline frequently even though the headlights are perfectly aligned.

The Corolla's LED projector headlights received the second-highest rating of "acceptable" with no excessive glare.

If you look at ratings of various LED headlights, it looks like those with projector housings have a higher overall rating and less glare than those in reflector housings.
Sponsored

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't know I may be in the minority but I actually like the design of the halogen projector over the LEDs. I like how it's segmented between turns highs and lows, each in their own housing.

The LEDs looks more spirally or dizzy/dazed? Plus people have mentioned that they are shit anyways.

Nighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't know I may be in the minority but I actually like the design of the halogen projector over the LEDs. I like how it's segmented between turns highs and lows, each in their own housing.

The LEDs looks more spirally or dizzy/dazed? Plus people have mentioned that they are shit anyways.
I agree the design to me looks better on this car than leds

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Same here. I want LED headlights, but prefer the look of the halogens when turned off.

Nozomi135

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Modern Silver Metallic)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm pretty curious of the difference between the halogen and LED bulbs between the models, after I pick mine up I'll probably be able to speak of a comparison between the halogens in my fathers 16' LX Sedan and my 17' Si coupe, Canadian SI models seem to come outfitted with touring spec equipment.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So why aren't you people who like led but prefer the halogen housings just buying led bulbs? Seems simple enough.

There is a somewhat convincing review of some options here (if you can get by the annoying beginning of the video)-

Some of the better bulbs they tested can be found on aliexpress for a lot cheaper

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
anyone here remember the thread or member who email TRS about the morimoto LED kit and they told him the HID was still better?

ChinStrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
anyone here remember the thread or member who email TRS about the morimoto LED kit and they told him the HID was still better?
There is a thread over on the ‘driveaccord.net’ forums where a user did a compare inside his stock low beam projectors. He has some pictures for comparison. He concluded at this was the case. Xenon>LED.

Thread is titled: 2016 Sport: Morimoto HID vs OPT7 LED Comparison

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ktsang47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 328i sedan w sport package
the canadian models have led lights how come they left it out of the American version. Same with navi.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Canadian SI is also more expensive. The Civic is a global car each market gets its own version. UK has a panoramic sunroof for example. Australia has our electronic shocks but on lesser models. etc.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can read their product description on the Morimoto's and they even say HIDs are still a better option but the LED 2 stroke's have good output. Hell even that video proved that they were better than stock output. I'll have to get pics of the halogen vs Morimoto LED's that I have. They work great in the pitch black where I live.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Just got my alibaba "TC-X" led lights haha. They
Honda Civic 10th gen LED headlights. Screenshot_20170804-154708
[/URL][/IMG] are the sale as the supernova v3 ones.

Optimistic at this point. The up close light pattern is spot on to the halogen. The color is also very good. I was afraid they would be a blueish light but they are IMO a good offset of pure white.

Will post up more pics later once I have time to do it.

Driver side is the LED and passenger side is an retrofit 65 watt H9 bulb. In person they look to be about a tie for illumination.

https://ibb.co/m9hsma
Sponsored