First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.0 VTEC Elegance A/T Navi
Country flag
guys,
So just bought a used 10th gen civic and was thinking about swapping the halogen headlights with a pair of OEM full LED headlights. However what I’m worried about is the leveling... can anyone clarify whether the auto-leveling is built directly into the headlights themselves or if there are sensors fitted on the car ? Or if the headlights even have auto-leveling?
I just don’t want to spend 550£ on new headlights if they end up being illegal because there are no sensors on the civic I’m getting.
Seems like I have googled myself senseless without finding any proper info and the few people I have talked to here in Denmark was of no help whatsoever ...
(Not picking up the car until Monday FYI)
Thanks in advance for all your help!
Sponsored

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
No auto levelling in the full LED lights but it wouldn't matter anyway because they have no cutoff, savage glare, and blind the hell out of oncoming drivers regardless of how they are aimed.

Good luck with the install.

OP
OP
david-tryk

david-tryk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No auto levelling in the full LED lights but it wouldn't matter anyway because they have no cutoff, savage glare, and blind the hell out of oncoming drivers regardless of how they are aimed.

I’ll just install them reversed - no blinding ;)

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
The turn signal strip in the Touring lights look some damn good. Every time I see one on the road with the headlights off, they look so good.

OP
OP
david-tryk

david-tryk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The turn signal strip in the Touring lights look some damn good. Every time I see one on the road with the headlights off, they look so good.
Was considering buying the touring lights from UK but then I realised there are LHD and RHD lights ... stupid me ...

Will try to get some from Germany or Netherlands maybe... I think...

But if there is no auto leveling on the touring lights how does one the compensate for heavy load ? I mean on halogen lights you can manually adjust the leveling - but what does cars with touring lights do then? Can it be adjusted electronically or do they have to adjust the lights on the adjusters on the light itself ?

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
Mine has auto-levelling but I'm not in the US though.

There's still a manual screw for adjusting.

OP
OP
david-tryk

david-tryk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mine has auto-levelling but I'm not in the US though.

There's still a manual screw for adjusting.
went to a Honda dealership here in Denmark today and asked them. They said there was no auto-leveling. I also asked one of the sales reps to turn on one of the cars with the Full Led lights and i could tell there was no adjusting like what you usually see on a car with Full LED lights or Xenon lights - where the light beam goes down and then back up again to adjust...

Basically i need to know if i can buy an original set of touring lights and replace my Halogen lights with the LED ones and if everything will be okay and legal....

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
I got the same adjustment screws as with this thread

https://www.civicx.com/threads/request-how-to-adjust-led-headlight.7579/

But to be honest, I good HID/LED projector retrofit is way better in terms of everything, light output, intensity, width/throw.

If I were you, I'd go to the retrofit, much cheaper and you get to use your existing headlight housing.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
But if there is no auto leveling on the touring lights how does one the compensate for heavy load ?
The headlights create so much glare and just spray light everywhere, it literally doesn't matter. As there's no actual cutoff, aiming matters far less and everybody is blinded regardless of fine adjustment.

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
The headlights create so much glare and just spray light everywhere, it literally doesn't matter. As there's no actual cutoff, aiming matters far less and everybody is blinded regardless of fine adjustment.
Hmmm, aren't your headlights defective?

Mine has a cut-off, albeit not like a projector sharp cut-off, but the beam pattern is like a halogen reflector.

So in low-beam, it really doesn't blind anyone at all. Of course high beam does.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
Hmmm, aren't your headlights defective?

Mine has a cut-off, albeit not like a projector sharp cut-off, but the beam pattern is like a halogen reflector.

So in low-beam, it really doesn't blind anyone at all. Of course high beam does.
It's not really my opinion, but that of others. The low beam is a fuckton of glare.

IIHS rated the Touring lights as poor due to excessive glare, other publications have rated the glare as dangerous. No, I don't own them as that would be a catastrophic waste of money. You don't see the glare because you're behind the wheel... but it's savage. Anybody who is familiar with headlights and beam patterns knows it's not even really a debate of any sort, though you're free to contact IIHS if you disagree.

Honda has made changes to the 2019 Touring light because it was such shit. I have not yet seen the difference in output.

OP
OP
david-tryk

david-tryk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's not really my opinion, but that of others. The low beam is a fuckton of glare.

IIHS rated the Touring lights as poor due to excessive glare, other publications have rated the glare as dangerous. No, I don't own them as that would be a catastrophic waste of money. You don't see the glare because you're behind the wheel... but it's savage. Anybody who is familiar with headlights and beam patterns knows it's not even really a debate of any sort, though you're free to contact IIHS if you disagree.

Honda has made changes to the 2019 Touring light because it was such shit. I have not yet seen the difference in output.
I decided on not buying the touring lights after ... well actually not that much consideration - it just seemed like the obvious choice after having talked to you guys and reading other threads...

Instead I decided to order the Hikari Ultra Led Convertion kit ... should arrive on Monday or Tuesday..

Now I just need to find the illumination pack (door lining, footwell and door sill illumination) somewhere who’ll ship to Denmark without charging a billion in freight costs ...

xaviersayys

Xavier
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I'm curious to see how the output of the '19 Touring is. Though, I'm not expecting that much better of a result, any LED in a reflector housing still has lackluster output. Even the new Accord's headlights are meh, though not as glare-y as the Civic's or Insight's.

GWX777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 2018
Country flag

Auto headlight leveling is there in the LED headlights as well. Seems it comes from factory un-calibrated. Once you learn them via HDS, they adjust the level just as any other vehicle.
Sponsored