LED Dimmed with Dome Light

NoyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everybody. I've read through many of the threads here that have LED's set up in the footwells and on the door sills. I'm trying to get mine to turn on when the dome light is on and I've done this by running a wire connected to the negative end of the dome light down to the footwells. Currently, I have it set up with a 5 pin relay.

My problem is that it will try to turn on with low voltage (when it's trying to dim, or the light was turned on but then the door is closed so it's running at lower power) but there isn't enough power to sustain it so it rapidly clicks back and forth. I was wondering if anyone had any idea on a relay that would work or any other suggestions on an alternative way of wiring this to make it work.

I've attached my diagram. The switch works when the dome light connects via the ground wire. If the ground isn't connected in the dome (ie. off), no power flows through the switch (ie. LEDs are off).

Honda Civic 10th gen LED Dimmed with Dome Light wiring2
Sponsored

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T, 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Country flag
Did you ever figure out a solution? I am looking at installing LED footwell lights as well.