Launching turbo cvt. Underrated hp

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
For whatever reason the ex l and touring trim suffer from screen flicker and audio issues. Ive not had one problem. Ex l and touring have other options that are electrical that the ex t doesnt come with. I think the issue is resolved with a simple update provided by honda. Its a recall
My ext started flickering yesterday.... Turned up the brightness and it's good. Ughh..
Sponsored

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
For whatever reason the ex l and touring trim suffer from screen flicker and audio issues. Ive not had one problem. Ex l and touring have other options that are electrical that the ex t doesnt come with. I think the issue is resolved with a simple update provided by honda. Its a recall
only the touring got updated. I have an EX-L and have had none of those issues.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is one thing that is worth trying for faster acceleration during take off. I do this in my 2015 Honda Fit CVT and posted a video of it accelerating.

Instead of just mashing the gas pedal once, mash on it 4-5X back to back. Your rpm needle should jump up fairly quick to close to it's maximum rpm range. Then just floor it as normal. I've knocked off a few 10ths of a second in my Fit at the dragstrip doing this. As laughable as it seems that I drag race my Fit (I Bracket race), there's a reason why I ran a best of 15.2@90mph with just an intake/exhaust vs my stock time of 17.1@82mph.

Try it out and report back. I call it the 'Myx Two-Step' in another forum.

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
Here is one thing that is worth trying for faster acceleration during take off. I do this in my 2015 Honda Fit CVT and posted a video of it accelerating.

Instead of just mashing the gas pedal once, mash on it 4-5X back to back. Your rpm needle should jump up fairly quick to close to it's maximum rpm range. Then just floor it as normal. I've knocked off a few 10ths of a second in my Fit at the dragstrip doing this. As laughable as it seems that I drag race my Fit (I Bracket race), there's a reason why I ran a best of 15.2@90mph with just an intake/exhaust vs my stock time of 17.1@82mph.

Try it out and report back. I call it the 'Myx Two-Step' in another forum.
I really don't mean anything bad by this, I do love Honda engines, but holy crap does that sound like a leafblower lol

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really don't mean anything bad by this, I do love Honda engines, but holy crap does that sound like a leafblower lol
No offense taken! It's funny actually. I'm not even a Honda guy but a Subaru guy. I'm fascinated with the CVT and it seem like a racer's dream (At least the one's that keep the rpm needle at the power peak. None of that bullshi* shifting). I wanted to apply everything I know to the CVT to see how it'd perform and it didn't disappoint. The guys are still wondering why I can run as 'quick' in the 1/4 mile as the average Joe in a stock Si, Stock Mini Cooper SS, Stock Fiat Abarth, Stock Ford Fiesta ST, etc. In a automatic CVT...lol!

You guys have a gold mine on your hands. You don't need a ton of power to make it quick Take advantage of what the CVT has to offer on how it delivers power. I don't want to go into details as I'm still experimenting. I'll be at Cecil County Raceway in Maryland this Friday to try to get my N/A 'Slow' Fit into the 14's. With only intake, exhaust and a mini adjustment to my ignition advance and air/fuel ratio. Good luck! I'll be hanging around these parts to see what you guys come up with. :headbang:

Last edited:

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Has anybody had a cylinder misfire when launching the 1.5 cvt? My touring did today, and I'm super worried about it. I just want to know if the car is destined to become a lemon/permanently damaged by the misfire.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I just want to know if the car is destined to become a lemon/permanently damaged by the misfire.
Nobody here can really say. An episode of misfiring is not going to do damage to more than your confidence in the car. But the dealer needs to figure out what is going on. There have been at least two similar reports here that I can recall. One of them was a case of a bad ground point--a bunch of lugs that were supposed to be on a ground stud that had no fastener. The other similar report was very recent and I don't think we've seen any posting of a diagnosis/repair. I think the OP reported that the dealer couldn't repeat or explain, even with codes present.

If it's something simple--if difficult to diagnose--like a bad ground point, then if should not mean your car is destined to be a lemon. But, again, the dealer getting to the bottom of it is key. Hopefully Honda of Greeley will do the right thing and put in the effort required to get to the bottom of whatever caused your symptoms.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Nobody here can really say. An episode of misfiring is not going to do damage to more than your confidence in the car. But the dealer needs to figure out what is going on. There have been at least two similar reports here that I can recall. One of them was a case of a bad ground point--a bunch of lugs that were supposed to be on a ground stud that had no fastener. The other similar report was very recent and I don't think we've seen any posting of a diagnosis/repair. I think the OP reported that the dealer couldn't repeat or explain, even with codes present.

If it's something simple--if difficult to diagnose--like a bad ground point, then if should not mean your car is destined to be a lemon. But, again, the dealer getting to the bottom of it is key. Hopefully Honda of Greeley will do the right thing and put in the effort required to get to the bottom of whatever caused your symptoms.
Thank you. Your response calmed me a bit. I really do hope Honda of Greeley does the best job they can to get it figured out, but when I took it in (literally five minutes after it happened) they seemed like they wanted to handle other tasks. In the end, they called some department that explained what they needed them to do and they had to keep it overnight. They had to take a snapshot of the system under the same circumstances of when the misfire happened, which required the car to be cold (according to them). I'm just worried out of my mind, and I've had many terrible experiences with service departments.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I'm just worried out of my mind, and I've had many terrible experiences with service departments.
Yup. It's unfortunate that these outcomes are not more predictable. But so much comes down to the particular tech doing the work and the attitude of the shop. Keep us posted on what they find. We lived in Colorado for decades and had a daughter who went to UNC, now lives in FoCo, but have no experience with Honda of Greeley, so can't provide any comfort there.

What color is your new ride? Our MSM/Gray Touring is somewhere in transit from Alliston, Ontario, to here. It's a long trip.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yup. It's unfortunate that these outcomes are not more predictable. But so much comes down to the particular tech doing the work and the attitude of the shop. Keep us posted on what they find. We lived in Colorado for decades and had a daughter who went to UNC, now lives in FoCo, but have no experience with Honda of Greeley, so can't provide any comfort there.

What color is your new ride? Our MSM/Gray Touring is somewhere in transit from Alliston, Ontario, to here. It's a long trip.
Honda of Greeley received dealer of the year, so I'm hoping it means the service too. That's awesome! I've been in CO since 2008, don't plan on leaving for 5 or so years. My Touring is Cosmic Blue Metallic/Gray, wanted an Aegean but I'm happy with my decision. Hope your luck is better than mine! It misfired while I was giving S mode a spin from a red light, now I'm going to be even more careful for the next 400 miles or so.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda of Greeley received dealer of the year, so I'm hoping it means the service too. That's awesome! I've been in CO since 2008, don't plan on leaving for 5 or so years. My Touring is Cosmic Blue Metallic/Gray, wanted an Aegean but I'm happy with my decision. Hope your luck is better than mine! It misfired while I was giving S mode a spin from a red light, now I'm going to be even more careful for the next 400 miles or so.

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Honda-of-Greeley-review-19301/ 4.8 out of 5

http://www.cars.com/dealers/23134/honda-of-greeley/reviews/ 4.1 out of 5

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Not sure why this was bumped but the video (while old) explains what many of us have been saying about the function of gearing in multiple threads. Anyone trying to learn why CVT feels different and outperforms a manual transmission, should begin watching from 1:10. Hondata does a great job of explaining some key advantages of the CVT and powerband.

Here are my predictions with the upcoming manual transmission 1.5 turbo (MT/1.5T), compared to its CVT brother:
1. The MT will trap .1-.2 secs slower in the 1/4, despite having similar peak HP/TQ numbers and weight.
2. The MT dyno results will surprise (and slightly disappoint) a lot of people expecting similar results across the powerband.
3. The MT dyno results will influence how tuners measure & capture the CVT results going forward (to some degree).

I will probably repost this video (or a similar one) once the manual transmission goes on sale.

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Polished Metal
Country flag
Wow it's amazing to see how the perspective of the cvt and taking more power has changed from 2015 until now. The op was damn right about the 0-60 times. I'm on a k tuner 21psi tune with cvt in my sport touring hatchback I can pull 0-60 in 5.8 seconds no problem. The cvt is actually better at accelerating the car then the manual. The shift from the manual add a whotl second to the 0-60. I would be able to beat a stock SI to 60 no problem. No stock 10th gen SI is pulling sub 6 second 0-60s

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No offense taken! It's funny actually. I'm not even a Honda guy but a Subaru guy. I'm fascinated with the CVT and it seem like a racer's dream (At least the one's that keep the rpm needle at the power peak. None of that bullshi* shifting). I wanted to apply everything I know to the CVT to see how it'd perform and it didn't disappoint. The guys are still wondering why I can run as 'quick' in the 1/4 mile as the average Joe in a stock Si, Stock Mini Cooper SS, Stock Fiat Abarth, Stock Ford Fiesta ST, etc. In a automatic CVT...lol!

You guys have a gold mine on your hands. You don't need a ton of power to make it quick Take advantage of what the CVT has to offer on how it delivers power. I don't want to go into details as I'm still experimenting. I'll be at Cecil County Raceway in Maryland this Friday to try to get my N/A 'Slow' Fit into the 14's. With only intake, exhaust and a mini adjustment to my ignition advance and air/fuel ratio. Good luck! I'll be hanging around these parts to see what you guys come up with. :headbang:

Wow.....time flies! o_O

Still waiting for the guys that race their turbo'd CVT Civics in Thailand to respond to a question I asked them about launching a while back. I noticed that they always brake torque 3X and take off on the 3rd time. You can see their CVTs on the dragstrip on Facebook (no link at the moment). There's something to their technique as they have been running low-mid 12 second 1/4 mile times. I was looking for new info on launching so came across this thread yet again. Kinda refreshing seeing as I was posting in here before owning his car and still having my Honda Fit CVT. Still liking this transmissions so far. :beer:
Sponsored