Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This review kinda ticked me off. How he can call the styling "bland" is beyond me. Not sure what he's been smoking.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-honda-civic-review-20151204-story.html

2016 Honda Civic sedan

Times' take: Economical, affordable, dependable — and dull

Highs: Peppy, fuel-sipping people mover

Lows: Even with new Euro styling, a bit bland

The small motor, paired with Honda's continously variable transmission, makes the Civic sound at times more like a kitchen appliance than an automobile.
Sponsored

Last edited:

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be fair, he also says "The 2016 Honda Civic, in that respect, may be a perfect car. It delivers everything it promises and does exactly what it sets out to do. It's dependable, predictable, affordable and economical."

spets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Country flag
In addition, the Si and Type R versions should take care of the "dull" part.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
My theory is that auto 'journalists' sometimes like to say something completely out of left field to be a contrarian and get attention. If he just agreed with all the other reviews a month after they all came out, who would bother reading his review :)

Calling the styling bland definitely sounds like an attention getting headline. If anything, other journalists tended to say that the styling was maybe too extreme.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Gotta admit, finally saw my first CivicX in person this week, a few times, and it was pretty underwhelming. I wouldn't call it dull though, the CivicX was parked next to a new Corolla, now that is dull!

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Naw I've had 3 people stop me and ask me about my car already.
Nothing bland about it.

amalgamate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I've gotten a lot of great feedback on my WOP touring. One of my buddies said "wow, they really went full on racecar with this new one!" So I don't think the general population finds the styling dull. Now, once these cars are ubiquitous, they may become commonplace and rather ordinary in that respect, but not dull.

Reactions: Pat

Revver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Subaru Legacy SE Sedan
If the Civic X is dull what the hell do you call the Civic IX, Civic VIII? We need to redefine that term. It seems like the writer is measuring it against the sexiest Euro cars instead of its predecessors.

To me, the design is as sporty and inspired as one of the most mainstream vehicles in America can be. If you're going in there expecting to be blown away it probably will disappoint. But if you're expecting to see the same old boring Civic, you'll walk away very happy. I don't see how anyone who has followed this car for the last few decades can be disappointed with this latest iteration.

kidboise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Accord, 1972 Z600
Vehicle Showcase
If the Civic X is dull, then there are no words for the Corolla.

Also: "This is a passenger vehicle with which no reasonable person could possibly [...] fall in love."

...Fine, call me unreasonable, then. :p

thomasok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Black Honda Accord EX-L, 2003 Blue Honda Accord EX-L
If the Civic X is dull, then there are no words for the Corolla.
Maybe ugly?

Let's face it, the guy's from LA and thinks he has to be jaded to be considered cool. There are very few really attractive cars on the market and this is one of them. Could it be simplified a bit and be even cleaner? Yes, of course. But how many vehicles on the market now can you not say that about.

It reminds me of one of the big US car mags that rated the old Fusion well above the 2008 Accord in styling. In what universe did that boring Ford, with the grill that looked like a comarketing attempt with Gillette, look attractive?

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
It reminds me of one of the big US car mags that rated the old Fusion well above the 2008 Accord in styling. In what universe did that boring Ford, with the grill that looked like a comarketing attempt with Gillette, look attractive?
That made me LOL

Revver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Subaru Legacy SE Sedan
That's why I dont read the mags or online auto sites for their opinions on styling. My own two eyes work just fine.

Styling/design being subjective as they are, there are certain universal truths and I think one of them is that the new Civic is flat out more exciting and better looking than the previous few generations, period. Let's just call that fact shall we :D
Sponsored