17 SI Coupe
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 SI Coupe
Country flag
I’m sorry I know a lot of back and forth on this subject. Quick to the point. I understand people really like VitTune/K-Tuner option- seems to be the fan favorite....which is awesome. However, there seems to be the great status post install clutch replacement debate after the Vit K-Tuner install. I haven’t heard a lot of people talk about needing clutch update after a Hondata tune, but maybe I just missed that.
So leads me to a few things:
1. Hondata may not be quite the performance upgrade, but can maintain the stock clutch.
2. What are the exact(ish) performance gains/difference...is it really worth it to the less hard core modder?
3. Vit may be the higher performance upgrade, but for those not wanting to mess with switching clutch, Hondata may be better option?
4. Lastly, I’m not totally opposed to replacing clutch, just a lot of money for a supporting mod...since I’ve got like 1700miles on mine....but if the tune is superior...may just suck up and do it.
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I’m sorry I know a lot of back and forth on this subject. Quick to the point. I understand people really like VitTune/K-Tuner option- seems to be the fan favorite....which is awesome. However, there seems to be the great status post install clutch replacement debate after the Vit K-Tuner install. I haven’t heard a lot of people talk about needing clutch update after a Hondata tune, but maybe I just missed that.
1. Hondata may not be quite the performance upgrade, but can maintain the stock clutch.
2. What are the exact(ish) performance gains/difference...is it really worth it to the less hard core modder?
3. Vit may be the higher performance upgrade, but for those not wanting to mess with switching clutch, Hondata may be better option?
4. Lastly, I’m not totally opposed to replacing clutch, just a lot of money for a supporting mod...since I’ve got like 1700miles on mine....but if the tune is superior...may just suck up and do it.
Both will require a upgraded clutch depending how far you want to push it.
both tuners also have basemaps that could be safe for the stock clutch but people have burnt their clutch with no mods
It all really comes down to what you/your tuner prefers

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hondata and Ktuner both have the same potential to make way more torque than your clutch can stand, it just depends on how your tune is written. There are several differences between the Ktuner and Hondata systems, but the ability to make power is not one of them.

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
Just want to point out that you can always have your tuner whether it's vit or whoever else limit the torque to prevent slippage. I mean you wouldn't be getting the full power of your tune, but if you're trying to push your stock clutch to the max then that's the way to go.

Last edited:

250gtswb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe; 1969 Honda S800M Roadster
Country flag
Is there a level of tune (with either Hondata or K-Tuner/Vit-Tune) which optimizes things (no rev hang, etc.) but only increases boost by a very modest amount, like 2 0r 3 PSI?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there a level of tune (with either Hondata or K-Tuner/Vit-Tune) which optimizes things (no rev hang, etc.) but only increases boost by a very modest amount, like 2 0r 3 PSI?
Yes they both offer that.

250gtswb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe; 1969 Honda S800M Roadster
Country flag
Yes they both offer that.
Thanks, it's good to know both systems have a "mild" option. I'd just like to have the last 800 rpm feel more productive, minimize rev hang as much as possible, and increase torque and hp by no more than 10% over stock.

OP
OP
mmuldoon

mmuldoon

17 SI Coupe
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 SI Coupe
Country flag
Thanks, it's good to know both systems have a "mild" option. I'd just like to have the last 800 rpm feel more productive, minimize rev hang as much as possible, and increase torque and hp by no more than 10% over stock.
I’m new to the tune. My buddy has a low mileage 92 MR2 turbo that he got recently, that has an after market performance/style clutch (I’ll have to have him try and find out what brand it is) although it was in it when he got it so may be hard, and I’ve driven it...don’t like how heavy the clutch is. Our factory is very light, so I’m sure there is a “tweener” out there, but makes his not as driveable IMO...don’t want to lose the ease of driving of this car.

kyeohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Just installed the vittuned stage 1 and let me say it feels amazing! Honestly, I feel like this is how it shoulda came from factory. With that being said, as others have stated above, the clutch longetivity depends mostly on your driving habits. I, myself, drive like a normal human being maybe 90% of the time; however, having that extra power at the touch of a button 10% of the time is super nice. Ktuner does offer various tunes too if you're not looking into a lot of power such as as 19.5psi setting and a 21psi setting. If you do decide to tune it, just be wary of lugging your engine because I think it can cause clutch slippage. Anyway just my 2cents.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Alright, I’ll tell you what’s smartest to do. Do a custom tune via Vit with Ktuner. If you want to keep your stock clutch, tell him that and he will keep that in mind while doing your tune. I skipped the stage tunes and base maps, went right for the custom tune and it’s a whole new beast. Everything has changed in a very good way. If you want max power extraction, he can do that. If you wanna be conservative, he can do that, just talk to him.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
As long as you arent trying out your 1/4 mile times at every stop light with these tunes your clutch will be fine.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get the VitTuner/Ktuner option. In the normal mode it is just a very conservative 19.5 tune. The Si's advertised spec is 20.3 psi so it is within spec. You have the sport mode that has a more powerful tune. If you are worried then just use a lighter foot on the throttle. It still has much more pep and drivability with only normal throttle use. Having a custom tune is another option too, but I would wait until you tried his stock Stage 1 tune first. You can decide that later. Remember you can always back off on a tune if the clutch shows signs of slipping. The clutch will be still fine unless you keep slipping it.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright, I’ll tell you what’s smartest to do. Do a custom tune via Vit with Ktuner. If you want to keep your stock clutch, tell him that and he will keep that in mind while doing your tune. I skipped the stage tunes and base maps, went right for the custom tune and it’s a whole new beast. Everything has changed in a very good way. If you want max power extraction, he can do that. If you wanna be conservative, he can do that, just talk to him.
That may be hard to justify for $400 with the goals he has in mind. He may be better off just saving that for a clutch later on and then looking at custom tune options later when he is ready to make a lot of power. Of course there are custom tuners that are capable and much more affordable at this point that may be worth considering.

OP
OP
mmuldoon

mmuldoon

17 SI Coupe
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 SI Coupe
Country flag
That may be hard to justify for $400 with the goals he has in mind. He may be better off just saving that for a clutch later on and then looking at custom tune options later when he is ready to make a lot of power. Of course there are custom tuners that are capable and much more affordable at this point that may be worth considering.
I’m going to call Vit today, I’m going to pull the trigger. See what he says about custom/tunes/etc.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I’m going to call Vit today, I’m going to pull the trigger. See what he says about custom/tunes/etc.
A very affordable reputable tuner that you can go with is @D-RobIMW . He only charges $250. He has tuned bunch of 10th gens and worked with KTuner on the Type R tunes
http://www.imwtuned.com/
Sponsored