KTuner V2 screen comes on while car off

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My car is 100% stock. It doesn't happen all the time. I've only seen it do it a couple times. Once I was sitting in the car with everything off...and the screen just came on....went off after like 10 seconds. Then one time, I got home, shut the car off, got out, locked the door and went inside. Came out later, it was dark, and I saw the inside of my car light up and ran up and noticed the screen on..then it turned off. Fob still in the house at this point. Today while sitting in my car waiting to start work, it didn't come on lol. So...who knows what the deal is. It's totally random.
something is clearly causing your ECU to communicate which is super weird. Ive never seen my v2 act like that. maybe a gremlin with your car. If you are that worried about it, just unplug it when you get out of the car!
Sponsored

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Senor Ktuner, im actually very happy to hear this. Cause i loath thieves, they deserve a guillotine, anyways i got some questions.

1. How do you know im the original owner of my Ktuner v2?
2. Is the serial number, the "Unit Number"??
3. TSP wants the serial for a Stage 1 Tune, so its "Unit Number"?
There are ways to tell.
The serial unit is the unit number, yes.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It will shut off after 20 seconds and go into sleep mode after 2 minutes of no ECU contact. I'm not sure what would be waking it up since that doesn't happen in my Si.

Happened to me last night. Came out to find the KTuner device's screen on, battery was at ~7V and had to jump the car. Won't be leaving it connected anymore. If it's a random CAN thing, it should shut off again at some point but it didn't It appears it had power the whole time it sat (~12 hours).

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
If your voltage is super low the unit could potentially reset as it drops below minimum voltage. That wouldn't be the unit causing the low voltage, it would be a result of. With proper voltage the unit can't stay on unless there's actual ECU communication.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If your voltage is super low the unit could potentially reset as it drops below minimum voltage. That wouldn't be the unit causing the low voltage, it would be a result of. With proper voltage the unit can't stay on unless there's actual ECU communication.
No. Battery is an AGM unit new in OCT2019. CCA of 680 and no issues with it.There's IMO, a glitch with the way it handles power at random times. Nothing is/was reseting, it was the normal KTuner screen.

I drive ~30-40 minutes too/from work, charging isn't the issue. Sorry to say but the KTuner seems iffy sometimes. Just the touch screen aspect sucks as it barely responds to anything and is laggy. Trying to do things on the road is near impossible so I do believe you have an issue with either random units or with specific situations where it remains on. Got the battery charged and jumped the car. Would advise not leaving it connected until the random issue is resolved.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The unit goes to sleep with no ECU communication and wakes with CAN data or ECU communication, depending on the CAN Gateway mode you've placed it in. There's nothing else short of voltage falling below threshold that could reset the unit.

If you'd like to send it in for testing reach out to support through a proper channel like email.

OP
OP
VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
No. Battery is an AGM unit new in OCT2019. CCA of 680 and no issues with it.There's IMO, a glitch with the way it handles power at random times. Nothing is/was reseting, it was the normal KTuner screen.

I drive ~30-40 minutes too/from work, charging isn't the issue. Sorry to say but the KTuner seems iffy sometimes. Just the touch screen aspect sucks as it barely responds to anything and is laggy. Trying to do things on the road is near impossible so I do believe you have an issue with either random units or with specific situations where it remains on. Got the battery charged and jumped the car. Would advise not leaving it connected until the random issue is resolved.
Mine still turns on to this day. Back when I was a smoker, I would come home after work at night, mix a drink, and then head outside for a smoke. Any by that time, the unit would kick back on, initialize, then it turns back off. So far it hasn't drained my battery....but that could be because I work almost 7 days a week, so I'm always firing that thing up, and driving 90 plus miles every day. I just hate that it is advertising that I have a tuner at night while I'm not in the car.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Do you have your keys on you when that happens? That suggests CAN data is present and waking it up.
I never leave my keys in the car, something triggered the KTuner to turn on whether, CAN or whatever. Seems sporadic as I've never had an issue until the other night. The AGM battery drained but it's fine now after a charge (why I like them). Seems off ntl, that the touch screen is poorly responsive, so it begs whether internal work might be off (e.g. some kind of random solderer error, bridging of components etc.)

I like the tunes and tuner, but hate the screen and now don't trust it to stay plugged in. Appears it may either pick up the fob from further away or something else causes it.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Do you have the keys on you, was the question, not in the car. Point being maybe the system is detecting the key fob and waking things up. Feel free to follow the version history and update the firmware, then turn the CAN gateway option on so it only wakes with ECU communication directly.

It wouldn't communicate with the ECU if the CAN had a soldering issue.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Do you have the keys on you, was the question, not in the car. Point being maybe the system is detecting the key fob and waking things up. Feel free to follow the version history and update the firmware, then turn the CAN gateway option on so it only wakes with ECU communication directly.

It wouldn't communicate with the ECU if the CAN had a soldering issue.
Hmm, keys are on my desk on the second floor of my house. Don't really care what your question was or is. It turned on or caused the ECU/battery to supply power. You asked a question of someone else, I chimed on on a similar issue.

Sorry too say, if anything is screwed up inside as far as soldering/wiring, yes...it could possibly keep something alive at random times. A short on any specific pin of the OBD terminal could do that. I see no offers of actual technical fixes here other than me, you him saying things. I'm requesting you take back my device and I'll switch platforms if no one can actually request a unit back to investigate and/or provide a true response, other than "our units don't cause that, based on wiring diagrams".

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
If you don't care what I'm asking, even though I'm trying to help you get this figured out, I'm not sure we're working in the right direction.

Quick break down:

If you'd like to send it in for testing reach out to support through a proper channel like email.
I gave you specific directions for getting yours tested several posts ago, yet you've not contacted us through email as mentioned. You're continuing the discussion here instead, yet you're acting like we're doing nothing for you here even though we're giving feedback to your information that you are continuing to post about it.

You have two different routes forward. If you want to send it in, we told you what you need to do to get that started. If you want to continue the discussion here looking for advice, do so here and actually take the advice we're giving.

The advice currently here in this thread for you and the other gentleman, try the CAN gateway option I mentioned by setting it to on. Find the information on how to get that in the version history in online help.

Last edited:

andyboyd102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Mine still turns on to this day. Back when I was a smoker, I would come home after work at night, mix a drink, and then head outside for a smoke. Any by that time, the unit would kick back on, initialize, then it turns back off. So far it hasn't drained my battery....but that could be because I work almost 7 days a week, so I'm always firing that thing up, and driving 90 plus miles every day. I just hate that it is advertising that I have a tuner at night while I'm not in the car.
@KTuner is clearly giving you two options and even telling you to send the unit in if you think it's a unit issue... why are you not listening to the people who actually build and design this unit???

OP
OP
VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you have your keys on you when that happens? That suggests CAN data is present and waking it up.
At first I thought it might be that...but it did it with my keys in my house....and I've tried to lock my car from inside and that's always a no go.

OP
OP
VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@KTuner is clearly giving you two options and even telling you to send the unit in if you think it's a unit issue... why are you not listening to the people who actually build and design this unit???
I am getting some information before I do. I work upwards of 70 hours a week and haven't even looked at this thread in forever. This hasn't been high on my priority list right now due to other priorities. I was also hoping it was something that wasn't going to be an issue...but now it appears to be happening to someone else.
Sponsored