KTuner V2 and Computer

vandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Sorry in advance if this has been asked/answered. But I feel like the more I read, the more confused I get. And I've never done any kind of tuning before.
I understand the difference between V1.2 and V2 is that V2 includes the monitor. That being said, will I need a computer at all in order to load the maps (if I buy a V2) to my '17 Si? I have a MacBook, and I don't want to deal with Basecamp, nor do I want to buy a Windows laptop solely for loading KTuner. I already expect I'll be boring and I"ll load the TSP Stage 1 tune and will likely never tinker with it again.
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
V2 = need a PC to load the tune files, can flash in the car without a PC

V1.2 = need a PC physically in the car to flash tune files

OP
OP
vandy

vandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
V2 = need a PC to load the tune files, can flash in the car without a PC

V1.2 = need a PC physically in the car to flash tune files
Thanks. As another alternative I could buy Windows for Mac too, right? I don’t like the idea of dropping $300 for another device just to load files one time.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Speaking from experience. Bootcamp has horrible issues with usb connections dropping when using ktuner v1.2 and Hondata race. I have a MacBook pro which I love but for loading maps I use a Dell laptop.

The sad fact is Apple devices are nearly useless for tuning. Thank apple and their walled garden approach. I guess you could give parallels a try instead of bootcamp, or hell maybe even virtualbox.

OP
OP
vandy

vandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Speaking from experience. Bootcamp has horrible issues with usb connections dropping when using ktuner v1.2 and Hondata race. I have a MacBook pro which I love but for loading maps I use a Dell laptop.

The sad fact is Apple devices are nearly useless for tuning. Thank apple and their walled garden approach. I guess you could give parallels a try instead of bootcamp, or hell maybe even virtualbox.
Well shit. Sounds like I need to borrow a Dell. Thanks for the clarification (everyone).

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks. As another alternative I could buy Windows for Mac too, right? I don’t like the idea of dropping $300 for another device just to load files one time.
You could run a virtual machine on your Mac, but I'd only do that on a V2, not 1.2 where you need a connection to the laptop during the flash process.

Otherwise I'd borrow a laptop or install Ktuner at work if you can and use a V2.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well shit. Sounds like I need to borrow a Dell. Thanks for the clarification (everyone).

Don't forget that when you sell the car, you'll want to return the tune to stock (Or return to stock possibly for maintenance, warranty issues, etc). Then you'll be borrowing this same Dell again and again.

I use a very old, cheap, big, heavy laptop. It's ancient! So I feel your pain. I'm too cheap to just get a V2 but I'll probably end up getting an upgraded turbo sometime. $$$ I have issues though. Good luck! :p

OP
OP
vandy

vandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Don't forget that when you sell the car, you'll want to return the tune to stock (Or return to stock possibly for maintenance, warranty issues, etc). Then you'll be borrowing this same Dell again and again.

I use a very old, cheap, big, heavy laptop. It's ancient! So I feel your pain. I'm too cheap to just get a V2 but I'll probably end up getting an upgraded turbo sometime. $$$ I have issues though. Good luck! :p
All right then. So find (and buy) the lowest grade Dell and keep that bad boy simply for tuning. V1.2 + cheap Dell =$650ish.

DuneShoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '16 Tacoma
Country flag
I bought a less than $200 windows laptop from Frys. It was in tier daily deals.
Only time I will use it is for Ktuner.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Homie, you're overthinking it. I bought a refurbished Dell Windows 10 laptop for $40 on eBay. Its only purpose is KTuner/tuning. For that, it works just fine.
Sponsored