newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
I don't want to make a major issue out of this - but here goes. This is not a performance issue so I thought I'd come here first before reaching out to KTuner directly. Of course, input / feedback are welcome.

I use my phone to run Tunerview and connect via bluetooth. Once connect it works perfectly. Perfectly. Connecting on the other hand......... I cannot find a sequence of steps to have it connect the first time, automatically, manually, you name it. I've tried every combination I can think of and cannot get it connect the same way twice.

This morning, I was connected upon leaving the house and driving about 2 miles. I shut off the car. Restarted, tried to reconnect after the car, and Android Auto were running. No good. I ended up having to pull the KTuner OBD module to get it to connect (after reinserting of course). This was after restarting the car, AA, and even my phone. I have tried the same sequence of steps from a cold start over and over once something works, but have never gotten the same order to work twice in a row. I've even given up and the darn thing started working on its own once!

Am I missing something? I've read the training stuff. Watched videos. I can get it to work, but should not be this hard. This fickle performance is keeping me from putting it on the head unit at the moment.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Tunerview for me is also hit or miss on the head unit. After a few tries, it sometimes connects. My Bluetooth works perfectly on everything else and when I had Hondata, their app connected and stayed connected. With Tunerview I have to try to reconnect every time I start the car. Basically, I stopped using it.

In my experience, KTuner the tuning device is great. Tunerview on the other hand, kinda of feels like the bugs haven't been worked out.

I've described this issue to Linszter (Tunerview developer) in a couple posts here but received no guidance on how to fix the Bluetooth connect problem. I have a '17 EX-L.

Last edited:

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I've only been using Tunerview through my headunit for about a week, but so far it's been pretty solid. I think once or twice it didn't connect automatically at startup, but the last few days it's been fine. My thought is the app is opening before the BT on the Ktuner is completely up and running which might present a problem.

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si black sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same issue. It seems like if I connect it too soon, I have to try a few times. If I connect it too late, I have to wait a few minutes before I try I again, otherwise it will never connect without the wait between attempts.

Best method for me:

1. Turn on car.
2. Immediately plug in phone.
3. Let android auto sync first, otherwise when android auto loads it will close tunerview.
4. Immediately after android auto is ready, open tunerview.
5. Command it to connect to the ktuner 1 to 3 times on average before it connects.

Also, the automatic connect option is a joke. Works like once every 6 weeks.

Ktuner is amazing, tunerview...buggy and intermittent. When it works, it is an amazing addition to my hud gauges... when it doesn't.... frustrating.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Also, the automatic connect option is a joke. Works like once every 6 weeks.

Ktuner is amazing, tunerview...buggy and intermittent. When it works, it is an amazing addition to my hud gauges... when it doesn't.... frustrating.
Andrea, you nailed it. Ktuner is amazing. Tunerview looks awesome and when it connects, is awesome. But, the complaints of it not connecting are rampant, yet no solution seems forthcoming. Frustrating for sure.

DannyG1904

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I use the tunerview lite on the headunit of my ‘19 Si and it works almost flawlessly. In the last few months I think I’ve had to close out the app because it froze or disconnected a handful of times. Quit the app and relaunch, and it automatically connects without issue

Honda Civic 10th gen KTuner / Tunerview Bluetooth Syncing Issue 196A4C1D-66E0-46B3-B297-94A1FE2E1B2B

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use the tunerview lite on the headunit of my ‘19 Si and it works almost flawlessly. In the last few months I think I’ve had to close out the app because it froze or disconnected a handful of times. Quit the app and relaunch, and it automatically connects without issue

196A4C1D-66E0-46B3-B297-94A1FE2E1B2B.jpeg
Lucky duck. I tried to run it on my 2018 head unit and it disconnects constantly... though my car has a pile of electronics, some bt, some wifi, some rf. So I may have hit my airspace capacity, or I am just unlucky, or the 2018 head unit cannot handle it.....

OP
OP
newskate9

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow, great back and forth, thank you!

I'll try making the starting of TView LAST thing I do, and then if it doesn't connect auto (i.e. yes, a joke - good call). then I'll fumble around. It does look cool and makes me feel like I know what I'm doing with all this info (I don't), but not at the expense of the frustration. I'll have to find another way to impress my friends! Head unit display does look cool for sure.

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, great back and forth, thank you!

I'll try making the starting of TView LAST thing I do, and then if it doesn't connect auto (i.e. yes, a joke - good call). then I'll fumble around. It does look cool and makes me feel like I know what I'm doing with all this info (I don't), but not at the expense of the frustration. I'll have to find another way to impress my friends! Head unit display does look cool for sure.
The head unit display is neat. But honestly, I prefer android auto, spotify+Waze over gauges. That is why I magic mounted my phone horizontally to my vent above my head unit, more gauges and it gets my phone out of the center dash pocket where I set my smokes, lighter, and dugout. Also I can see notifications for apps not supported by android auto on my phone easily.

One final note: I have a galaxy s8 and have noticed temporary burn-in of the tunerview guages after long trips (1+ hours).

Linszter

TunerView Developer
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Accord K24, 2005 Civic K20 VSA
Country flag
The major issue in your case is the Android Auto itself. When you use AA it messes up the whole system. Without using AA for us the app works fine all the time on several devices and several bluetooth devices (other protocols). We always try to help if someone send us email about any issue, but it's not easy to solve a problem if we can't even replicate it.

OP
OP
newskate9

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The major issue in your case is the Android Auto itself. When you use AA it messes up the whole system. Without using AA for us the app works fine all the time on several devices and several bluetooth devices (other protocols). We always try to help if someone send us email about any issue, but it's not easy to solve a problem if we can't even replicate it.
I'm not sure who you are responding to but I'll make some observations on your post. "Without using AA" - well, um, ok. Is that the answer, "don't use AA"? My input would be then, Google makes Android. Android powers AA. Massive numbers of people use AA in these cars. A small percentage use TView. So, as a programmer, I might assume TView would work hard to coexist with AA, yes? OR, state that it doesn't and call it a day (maybe you did this and I missed it). OR, fire up AA on your end and see if you find out how and/or why. Maybe some other options too.

I do know using AA, I can use my phone, other programs, and so on. So, AA doesn't kill anything else that I know of.

I also don't understand your comment "we can't duplicate". If you are NOT using AA, but you state it messes things up........ then what's going on? Either you know it doesn't work with AA and have stopped trying. OR, you did try and it messed everything up - then you stopped, but now can't duplicate the problem. Well, maybe you need AA to duplicate it?

I'm not trying to be confrontational - there are many posts I've now seen with these issues and I was hoping (and still am) that there is some magic setting or series of steps to make the system more reliable. I also think you are seeing that people LOVE this program. We're just looking for some solutions so we can love it more!

Linszter

TunerView Developer
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not sure who you are responding to but I'll make some observations on your post. "Without using AA" - well, um, ok. Is that the answer, "don't use AA"? My input would be then, Google makes Android. Android powers AA. Massive numbers of people use AA in these cars. A small percentage use TView. So, as a programmer, I might assume TView would work hard to coexist with AA, yes? OR, state that it doesn't and call it a day (maybe you did this and I missed it). OR, fire up AA on your end and see if you find out how and/or why. Maybe some other options too.

I do know using AA, I can use my phone, other programs, and so on. So, AA doesn't kill anything else that I know of.

I also don't understand your comment "we can't duplicate". If you are NOT using AA, but you state it messes things up........ then what's going on? Either you know it doesn't work with AA and have stopped trying. OR, you did try and it messed everything up - then you stopped, but now can't duplicate the problem. Well, maybe you need AA to duplicate it?

I'm not trying to be confrontational - there are many posts I've now seen with these issues and I was hoping (and still am) that there is some magic setting or series of steps to make the system more reliable. I also think you are seeing that people LOVE this program. We're just looking for some solutions so we can love it more!
I'm responded for everyone using AA. To understand me here is few example. TunerView running on the headunit. When phone connected with AA somehow the system blocks the Bluetooth connection from TunerView. Not just the connection but sometimes the app don't even see the Bluetooth hardware. Other example: The TunerView running on the phone which connected with AA. The headunit swiches to "dark mode" due to the current time and it turns of the phone screen even if the app forces the OS to keep the screen on. These are some of the issues we can't solve at the moment . We would like to make Android Auto version of TunerView, but Google only allow music playback or messaging through AA. I got emails about issues which is not AA related but can't replicate it on any of my Android device.

Last edited:
OP
OP
newskate9

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm responded for everyone using AA. To understand me here is few example. TunerView running on the headunit. When phone connected with AA somehow the system blocks the Bluetooth connection from TunerView. Not just the connection but sometimes the app don't even see the Bluetooth hardware. Other exemple the TunerView running on the phone which connected with AA. The headunit swiches to "dark mode" due to the current time and it turns of the phone screen even if the app forces the OS to keep the screen on. These are some of the issues we can't solve at the moment . We would like to make Android Auto version of TunerView, but Google only allow music playback or messaging through AA. I got emails about issues which is not AA related but can't replicate it on any of my Android device.
First, thank you for fast response!

I know my phone (Samsung S10 and the S9 before that) can connect to multiple BT sources. I do it all the time. Let me approach from a different angle, accepting that I don't understand all this stuff or how it is working inside.

Let's assume for a second AA works perfectly without TView interactions. If I don't start TView, or even install it, AA works perfectly on my car. AND my phone also connects via bluetooth and cable to insure all of it works. AND my phone connects to my watch. All work fine.

Based on your note, if I do NOT start AA at all, I should be able to start TView, connect, run, all functions without issue. I'm going to try this. In the meantime assuming this is true on my car, this would match what you are saying.

THEN, it only crashes when I run AA. Some questions come to mind.

- If I start TView FIRST, no AA. Get it running, THEN start AA what happens? I'll try this sequence as I have not yet.
- In your programming, are you trying to do something with AA and THAT is why it is crashing? Are there resources or code, either existing or leftover, that are interfering? IF these were removed and made to be like, Pandora for example, or Google Music which I can run on BT just fine in the car, would this have an impact?
- Is TView coded to AVOID any interference with AA, or attempting to be interactive with it?
- Is the fact that some functions of AA REQUIRE the cord to be plugged in, impact TView some how? And the other Android apps do not?

And last, as I still have coffee in the cup........... There are circumstances under which AA and TView function in perfect harmony. And others on the same car / equipment that it does not. Is there a way to log this and see the difference?

Sorry for the long note. I'm a problem solver by trade and training and it's hard for me to NOT figure stuff out! :)

Linszter

TunerView Developer
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lucky duck. I tried to run it on my 2018 head unit and it disconnects constantly... though my car has a pile of electronics, some bt, some wifi, some rf. So I may have hit my airspace capacity, or I am just unlucky, or the 2018 head unit cannot handle it.....
First check the OBD unit connection, maybe it's not connecting well on the OBD port. Did you enabled the BT PIN Advanced in the KTuner software?

Linszter

TunerView Developer
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First, thank you for fast response!

I know my phone (Samsung S10 and the S9 before that) can connect to multiple BT sources. I do it all the time. Let me approach from a different angle, accepting that I don't understand all this stuff or how it is working inside.

Let's assume for a second AA works perfectly without TView interactions. If I don't start TView, or even install it, AA works perfectly on my car. AND my phone also connects via bluetooth and cable to insure all of it works. AND my phone connects to my watch. All work fine.

Based on your note, if I do NOT start AA at all, I should be able to start TView, connect, run, all functions without issue. I'm going to try this. In the meantime assuming this is true on my car, this would match what you are saying.

THEN, it only crashes when I run AA. Some questions come to mind.

- If I start TView FIRST, no AA. Get it running, THEN start AA what happens? I'll try this sequence as I have not yet.
- In your programming, are you trying to do something with AA and THAT is why it is crashing? Are there resources or code, either existing or leftover, that are interfering? IF these were removed and made to be like, Pandora for example, or Google Music which I can run on BT just fine in the car, would this have an impact?
- Is TView coded to AVOID any interference with AA, or attempting to be interactive with it?
- Is the fact that some functions of AA REQUIRE the cord to be plugged in, impact TView some how? And the other Android apps do not?

And last, as I still have coffee in the cup........... There are circumstances under which AA and TView function in perfect harmony. And others on the same car / equipment that it does not. Is there a way to log this and see the difference?

Sorry for the long note. I'm a problem solver by trade and training and it's hard for me to NOT figure stuff out! :)
The app don't to anything with AA. All I can say that we are trying to solve all problem, but currently AA is causing some issue.
If you try it without AA and still have problems please contact us via email.
Sponsored