dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello friends,

I have purchase the TSP Stage 1 Non Si tune and have been using this new tune since Friday and here are my thoughts.

I can definitely tell the difference in Starter 21 with all quick adjustments maxed and this tune. I have a beta of the Advanced VSA so when I launch Starter 21 from a dead stop, I dont have VSA intervening like it would with VSA stock, I use advanced ignition pull back and when I hammer it the car just goes, quick too but you can definitely feel the advanced VSA working. On the TSP with no advanced VSA, when I mash from a zero, I get a smooth launch that feels good but doesnt spin and then about 4000 rpms the beast of the tune is unleashed. Boost is ramped in nicely peaked at 25 and settled between 23 and 24 psi on a run from 0-80. If you are looking for that punch in the mid range this it. Reminds me of how my custom e30 tune was, soft and safer down low and beastly from 40-80 mph (not its not as fast as that) And yes a freeway roll from 40-85 the car flies, you will definitely notice a difference in power.

Daily driving in the city the car is stable and good. I've always enjoyed ktuner for just city driving, always smooth taking off or rolling stop and go in traffic no jitteryness like the other brand. TSP is no different drives the same and keeps the smoothness I like. I do a lot of city in S but tried D too and was surprised that D had very good throttle response too.

The listing says that the tune is made for factory intake or intake that keeps fuel trims in check. I have the AF Dynamic SRI and my fuel trims are the same as the base maps on ktuner. 95% of the time 0 for LTFT and no worse than -3% when idling or cruising slower than 10 mph so no fuel trim issues with my intake either.

I also have a custom 93 tune to go with me custom e30 tune and now this TSP Stage 1. I bought Stage 1 because I wanted to experience for myself and be able to give people real world feedback. There is nothing better than a custom tune and both of mine are wonderful. I dont use the e30 on the street anymore as it was fun but I wouldnt use it much and you get less MPGs running E. I use my 93 custom the most since you know, I paid the most for it lol, but I enjoy this TSP Stage 1 and am going to continue to use it for a few weeks to keep getting real world data on it. Currently here in Dallas it feels like 108 so IATS have been bad and can affect the tune. Hoping to get try it with some cooler weather as well.

In conclusion, TSP Stage 1 is an amazing tune, a nicely refined base map and a great value for what you get. Makes a great alternative if you aren't interested in custom tuning or heck, buy it and use it untill you have your full bolts installed before you get a custom tune. You won't regret this purchase at all. Thanks to @Two Step Performance @D-RobIMW for making an awesome tune for the non Si guys. I appreciate it, and if yall want custom tuning after this, use Derek, the man is tirelessly working to make great tunes for the masses while still busting his ass for his custom tuned customers.

Ask any questions you have and I will be glad to answer them.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Nice review. :thumbsup: It's pretty clear Derek is a real master at tuning. Looking forward to trying this myself. I actually just bought the tune but with these near 100 degree temps I may not upload it til next week when it's a bit cooler. The excitement is real!

So, a couple questions comparing this to the Starter 21 with aggressive adjustments...

1. How is the top end? Does it feel like it wants to keep pulling after 5000+, where the Ktuner 21 tune seemed to fizzle just a bit.

2. I agree with you that the Starter 21 is great around town. Very little lag and no jerkiness at all. When you say the TSP is "soft" down low, does it still feel just as peppy down low as the KTuner 21?

Thanks dallas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1. How is the top end? Does it feel like it wants to keep pulling after 5000+, where the Ktuner 21 tune seemed to fizzle just a bit.
To me It pulls all the way up where the cvt sits at 6200 you can see how the boost ramps as the rpms rise in the screenshot of my datalog.
Honda Civic 10th gen KTUNER TSP STAGE 1 CVT -Review upload_2019-7-16_17-52-36

2. I agree with you that the Starter 21 is great around town. Very little lag and no jerkiness at all. It's great. When you say the TSP is soft down low, does it still feel just as peppy down low as the KTuner 21?
Well soft for how much the tune is improved up top. but I'd say it feels better because its not trying to rip the tires off the car so it goes somewhere now lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
:thumbsup:

This is probably the best $79.99 performance mod you can get. Big props to @Two Step Performance and @D-RobIMW. Thank you guys for stepping up (terrible pun, sorry).

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great review Dallas! Seeing a few more of these reviews and people generally liking it a lot.

:thumbsup:

This is probably the best $79.99 performance mod you can get. Big props to @Two Step Performance and @D-RobIMW. Thank you guys for stepping up (terrible pun, sorry).
I think if you purchase this tune, it'll be a 'STEP' in the right direction. Yeah...I said it. :headbang::p

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you read my first post, I already bought it. ;)

I've uploaded it to my KTuner and am patiently waiting for temps to get below 100 to upload it and test it out.

Since it's my first aftermarket tune I'm still getting used to the fact there are basically no user adjustments. Of course that's expected with a custom type tune. I also noticed Derek is using BBG in "1st" (set at 18psi) which is smart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you read my first post, I already bought it. ;)

No, No...I was just talking about people in general, not you bro. Was piggy-backing your pun. :lol:

Good luck with your tune. Hope you enjoy it as well.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Hey there, really brilliant review!
Seeing that the CVT will settle at 6200rpm, knock control will increase over time regardless of actual knock. How does this affect ignition timing ?
Thanks!

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey there, really brilliant review!
Seeing that the CVT will settle at 6200rpm, knock control will increase over time regardless of actual knock. How does this affect ignition timing ?
Thanks!
Knock control did rise to .90 on my 0-80 run, but it was 100 degrees when I did and my IATs suck. the logic is that it pulls ignition to protect the engine as knock control rises and those IATs do too. I cant wait to try it when its cooler

Reactions: Myx

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Sure I know how k.control works and it's not difficult for the base to climb once IAT's get warm, I was just wondering how much ignition the engine is running while k.control is rising to 0.90

thanks!

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well here we are a week in and Im still enjoying the tune. I haven't gone back to my custom tune at all. Part of that is my custom tune doesnt have map switching as it was done before that was an option. I'm finding I like Map 2 for commuting and if Im going to pass someone I got map 3. Its been real hot still so Im not really beating on it. We get a cool down next week so maybe I'll give it the business next week.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well here we are a week in and Im still enjoying the tune. I haven't gone back to my custom tune at all. Part of that is my custom tune doesnt have map switching as it was done before that was an option. I'm finding I like Map 2 for commuting and if Im going to pass someone I got map 3. Its been real hot still so Im not really beating on it. We get a cool down next week so maybe I'll give it the business next week.
Dude, I'm not even driving outside if I can help it. Just chilling inside with the family and friends. Hell with this weather. This weather is hell. :rofl:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Papayank, Dallas has a CVT. As far as 0-100 times, I don't think anyone has timed that yet. I can tell you one big difference between a TSP Stage 1 tuned non-Si and a KTuner tuned car. The top end feels noticeably more powerful above 5,000 rpm. :thumbsup:
Sponsored