kTuner STFT/LTFT tuning

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Hi All,

After a while I was able to get my STFT values within +- 3% on a stock MAF. On my particular car LTFT's were 7% at idle and lowered to about 3.54% on the highway.

I used

http://vimsh.github.io/mafscaling/

Got in touch with the developer and was able to use the tool on Maf.Hz cars. Which my SI is. EX-T's and others use a Maf.v style maf and the tool will work out of the get go. The tool will be more useful for those that want to use a larger MAF housing, etc.

Honda Civic 10th gen kTuner STFT/LTFT tuning settings1 Honda Civic 10th gen kTuner STFT/LTFT tuning settings2

Recommended way to tune is to turn off LTFT's by settings LTFT fields in ktuner to 0%. Then logging and entering in the parameters on the tool. I was having a hard time scaling the upper end of the scale as I was not collecting enough data points but the trims were about 3-4 percent.

I ended up scaling the entire curve by 5.34% and that got me within +-3% 0-5 is the best we can aim for.

Misc:

Looking at logs it looks like the SI is always in closed loop showing Fuel_Status 2 under the logs for OL. This may be different on EX-T cars.

In addition it's best to just turn off LTFT's. The LTFT strategy on these ECU's is not the same as others and results in running too rich when the AFR is actually okay. i.e idle for too long at 8% STFT will make the LTFT increase to 8%. Then cruise at 45mph in 5th gear and stft will show 3% but will still be too rich at 8%. and will be running 5% richer than it should be until it cruises for longer at 3% and goes back down.

Short Term Fuel Trim (STFT): is an additive correction % the ECM is using to actively modify the injector pulse-width based on lamda correction (requested vs. actual) at idle and very light load. Once recorded fuel trims pass a preprogrammed threshold the LTFT is increased and the STFT cycle is reset and continues to recalculate based on the newly configured LTFT.

Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT): is a multiplicative % calculated into the injector pulse width. LTFT trims are factored across the whole spectrum of engine operation increasing with relationship to engine load.

Last edited:

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Thats a good tip to set the max trim to 0. It probably would have been easier lol.

I only really needed to adjust the lower airflow area up to light throttle on my car, afterwards it seems to stay around 2-3% as well.

From the factory I was seeing 10% trims, and idle quality was poor. It was idling at 620 when targeting 700.

OP
OP
d1zguy

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Thats a good tip to set the max trim to 0. It probably would have been easier lol.

I only really needed to adjust the lower airflow area up to light throttle on my car, afterwards it seems to stay around 2-3% as well.

From the factory I was seeing 10% trims, and idle quality was poor. It was idling at 620 when targeting 700.
You can actually run without any LTFT correction. I would suggest increasing the idle speed, keeps a higher oil pressure. I am running 900 when I go to the track to keep the fluid moving while cooling down after a session for everyday I just set it to 800

Last edited:

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Should i be worried about this on a stage 1 vit tune?

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch 1.5 turbo manual.
Country flag
You can actually run without any LTFT correction. I would suggest increasing the idle speed, keeps a higher oil pressure. I am running 900 when I go to the track to keep the fluid moving while cooling down after a session for everyday I just set it to 800
have you adjusted the post start idle by any chance? on cold starts with the Greddy catbck and prl dp/fp its insane because it targets 1500rpm until it reaches 60 degrees so i have always wondered if it is safe to lower post start idles :)

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
have you adjusted the post start idle by any chance? on cold starts with the Greddy catbck and prl dp/fp its insane because it targets 1500rpm until it reaches 60 degrees so i have always wondered if it is safe to lower post start idles :)
That seems excessive. No harm in lowering your idle. You'll know if you lower it too much since it won't idle well.

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch 1.5 turbo manual.
Country flag
That seems excessive. No harm in lowering your idle. You'll know if you lower it too much since it won't idle well.
Thank you for confirming that! Yes i agree it is excessive for a cold start idle, i have had to go down the root of adding an extra resonator because ktuner says they have not changed anything of idle targets and that is what honda has set it set to from factory. It seems the eu/uk 1.5 engines are set up differently from the US.

By the way i was having trouble not getting my stft to read close to zero after numerous datalogs and adjusting maf scale it just would not get lower so i took your advice on increasing the idle so i changed mine from 720 to 800rpm and its helped a lot! :) i dont supose you have tuned your ignition and timing also? Im trying to figure out if theres any improvement to be made on mine.

Sorry for all the questions!

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
what is a good stft w/prl race maf to stay around

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
what is a good stft w/prl race maf to stay around
stft is always all over the place, especially as the load varies. As long as you aren't seeing much more than +/-25 and during steady state it is single digits, you should be good. Ltft should be with +/-10

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
stft is always all over the place, especially as the load varies. As long as you aren't seeing much more than +/-25 and during steady state it is single digits, you should be good. Ltft should be with +/-10
Okay good bc I think the most I've seen is +/-7

Stormtachi160

First Name
Storm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe 2017
Country flag
Hi All,

After a while I was able to get my STFT values within +- 3% on a stock MAF. On my particular car LTFT's were 7% at idle and lowered to about 3.54% on the highway.

I used

http://vimsh.github.io/mafscaling/

Got in touch with the developer and was able to use the tool on Maf.Hz cars. Which my SI is. EX-T's and others use a Maf.v style maf and the tool will work out of the get go. The tool will be more useful for those that want to use a larger MAF housing, etc.

settings1.png settings2.png

Recommended way to tune is to turn off LTFT's by settings LTFT fields in ktuner to 0%. Then logging and entering in the parameters on the tool. I was having a hard time scaling the upper end of the scale as I was not collecting enough data points but the trims were about 3-4 percent.

I ended up scaling the entire curve by 5.34% and that got me within +-3% 0-5 is the best we can aim for.

Misc:

Looking at logs it looks like the SI is always in closed loop showing Fuel_Status 2 under the logs for OL. This may be different on EX-T cars.

In addition it's best to just turn off LTFT's. The LTFT strategy on these ECU's is not the same as others and results in running too rich when the AFR is actually okay. i.e idle for too long at 8% STFT will make the LTFT increase to 8%. Then cruise at 45mph in 5th gear and stft will show 3% but will still be too rich at 8%. and will be running 5% richer than it should be until it cruises for longer at 3% and goes back down.

Short Term Fuel Trim (STFT): is an additive correction % the ECM is using to actively modify the injector pulse-width based on lamda correction (requested vs. actual) at idle and very light load. Once recorded fuel trims pass a preprogrammed threshold the LTFT is increased and the STFT cycle is reset and continues to recalculate based on the newly configured LTFT.

Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT): is a multiplicative % calculated into the injector pulse width. LTFT trims are factored across the whole spectrum of engine operation increasing with relationship to engine load.
Who do I go to if I need help getting the software to work for me?