KTuner Extended Testing And Tune Results

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Dang sorry to hear about the harness issue, but silver lining is that it's not a Ktuner issue.

How long have you had the car / how many miles before the rev match system error came up? Making me nervous, but I have an '18 with about 10K miles now.
I've had the car since late July 2017. I've got over 14000 miles but not sure exactly... I didn't get the Rev Match system message until I tried to give it some beans this morning. Probably 2 miles into my drive this morning.
It doesn't idle smoothly. It drives ok if just cruising but I don't think I can take it on the highway and maintain 70. Some of the hills we have require boost to hold that speed and I just can't do it.
Sponsored

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I've had the car since late July 2017. I've got over 14000 miles but not sure exactly... I didn't get the Rev Match system message until I tried to give it some beans this morning. Probably 2 miles into my drive this morning.
It doesn't idle smoothly. It drives ok if just cruising but I don't think I can take it on the highway and maintain 70. Some of the hills we have require boost to hold that speed and I just can't do it.
Keep us posted on what you hear from the dealership re: the harness. Good luck man.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad to hear it is not a KTuner issue. I was a little worried as I have been in heaven with the cold temps here & the custom tune from IMW on the KTuner. Sold my VMR wheels with 275 PS4S rubber and have been back on the stock wheels/tires until new wheels arrive in January and am pretty surprised how badly these tires are handling the extra power. 1st & 2nd gear are mostly useless unless under 50% throttle. I know the rubber is cold, but even at temp they cannot handle brisk acceleration.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Glad to hear it is not a KTuner issue. I was a little worried as I have been in heaven with the cold temps here & the custom tune from IMW on the KTuner. Sold my VMR wheels with 275 PS4S rubber and have been back on the stock wheels/tires until new wheels arrive in January and am pretty surprised how badly these tires are handling the extra power. 1st & 2nd gear are mostly useless unless under 50% throttle. I know the rubber is cold, but even at temp they cannot handle brisk acceleration.
Oh yeah. I'm on my stock tires too - I'm replacing them in the spring so I just don't care if I ruin them - They're bad even in 3rd unless you're in +R. I have my winter set just sitting in the garage but I need to get the tires mounted! Maybe this weekend I'll mount so they're at least ready when the forecast shows flakes!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Keep us posted on what you find out, Brian!
Will do!
I'll try to share that datalog then too. The problem may be obvious once it's reviewed.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update-
Probably the last update for a while. The car is at the dealer. By the time I got it there, it was sounding like quite the Subaru. It misses even at idle. CEL flashes constantly and of course the REV MATCH SYSTEM and EMISSIONS SYSTEM messages show up.
No smoke, no smells, no leaks.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a problem with coil packs and/or spark plugs. I'll ask through other channels as well but if anyone wants to loan me some good coil packs to do the old-fashioned 'swap them over and see if it fixes it...' I'd really enjoy doing the work!

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
before and after full tuning, Full Bolt-ons + .....actually got a little more TQ out of it, and smoothed it out just a bit more, but this was maxing out the MAF. Ran great at Road Atlanta yesterday, was spinning alot due to very worn tires, lol, but had to use 6th gear this time....

47162478_987830458090525_2698545260795002880_n.jpg
Nice! So the MAF voltage being maxed out was the limiting factor here for making more power? Was there any more room in the fuel system?

Deadgame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Help me understand the knock parameters that can be metered. I hooked my V2 up for the first time last night and have driven for 75 miles since. None of these knock values have changed. Is that good or bad? What should I be keeping an eye on as far as knock ? Thank you in advance.

Honda Civic 10th gen KTuner Extended Testing And Tune Results IMG_6592

OP
OP
KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The Type-R does not support logging knock cycle, control, or count items.

OP
OP
KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Does that mean it doesn’t control knock?
It's a Bosch ECU, not a Honda ECU, so some Honda strategies are not present. Bosch has its own.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
@D-RobIMW @KTuner - what calibration do you guys recommend for track days for a car with full bolt-ons?

Derek has done a great job on the max power tune on my car, but as you would expect, I don't want to run that tune for a day of non-stop throttle mashing (also too much torque for a track newbie such as myself). At the same time, I'm worried that the factory base calibration may not properly account for the downpipe, exhaust, etc. (which we've seen on some of the dyno runs we've done) and I don't want that to cause any issues related to fuel and timing that could have an adverse impact on the engine's life.

Is the stage 0 essentially a "cleaned up" version of the factory calibration that will properly account for aftermarket modifications without turning the torque up too high?

Thanks!

OP
OP
KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
We've had several customers running the stage 1 on track days without issues (Some posted TunerView videos online even). A few have modified stage 1s. Some have full custom tunes as well.

The mass airflow sensor helps the ECU deliver the proper fuel for the amount of flow coming in, even on the stock tune. Where the factory will not take advantage of modifications is the torque limits. It will attempt to pull back once it thinks those are exceeded.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
We've had several customers running the stage 1 on track days without issues (Some posted TunerView videos online even). A few have modified stage 1s. Some have full custom tunes as well.

The mass airflow sensor helps the ECU deliver the proper fuel for the amount of flow coming in, even on the stock tune. Where the factory will not take advantage of modifications is the torque limits. It will attempt to pull back once it thinks those are exceeded.
Thanks. So on my first day, i'll go ahead and just keep the stock calibration.
Sponsored