KTuner Extended Testing And Tune Results

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty much a mirror image of the plot that KTuner posted on their website. Thanks Brian!
Sponsored

lhonda200

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1995 Integra Gsr, 2004 Jeep Liberty
Country flag
Is this on a custom tune or a preset? Very nice, hp/trq gains. What's your take on the car after tune?

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Haha hey guys sorry! I was updating the IG and Facebook groups and didn't give the forum proper attention!

So pics and vid to follow. @dominican should have something together at some point too.

Loong story short, car is 100% stock aside perhaps from the Amsoil full synthetic if you can even count that as a mod.
I've got Sunoco 93. Fuel temp perhaps 50Ā°F, ambient air temp 55Ā°F in the shop. Maybe 400' above sea level but I didn't check, so could be +- 100'.

Car made 366tq at 3400 and about 340hp at 6400 on the IMW dyno which many many have used with good repeatable results.

We didn't quite max out the MAF but pretty close. I'll post up the dyno plot!
Your goal of 400whp is easily obtainable now!

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
Iā€™m just queries , is there a maf solution at the moment ? What exactly do you mean by maxing out the maf ? I noticed hondata saying something about the voltage of the maf, would we need a larger maf ? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to grip my head around this. Thanks

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Pretty much a mirror image of the plot that KTuner posted on their website. Thanks Brian!
Yeah it's very consistent. Slightly different primarily based, perhaps, on ambient air temperature and the temperature of the fuel in the tank. It really is that sensitive to temperatures.

Is this on a custom tune or a preset? Very nice, hp/trq gains. What's your take on the car after tune?
This is a very slightly tweaked preset. Honestly the difference was only about 1-2hp, so it's barely worth mentioning.

The car after tune...well I don't want to sound like a party pooper in any way but...I don't think I share the same reaction that everyone else does. Let me explain-
The car still has perfect parking lot manners, idles like a Civic, and is completely quiet. As I drive through the warm-up cycle, the increased power is barely noticed because I'm driving the thing like an old lady to try and heat up the fluids and O2 sensors.
Once it's warmed up properly and I can go WOT...wow ok. Here it is different. Power comes on hard much lower. There is still a turbo lag of course but it hits hard. Fuel economy is a function of your right foot and/or your cruising speed.
First gear actually seems to spin less. I haven't had a chance to do a good 1st gear launch but should soon...the car hooks surprisingly well because the boost never has a chance to build up enough power to totally cream the tires.
2nd gear is a different story. Shift into 2nd gives just enough time to hook, build boost, then break loose. 2nd definitely spins worse than 1st in my limited experience.
3rd hooks pretty well but is limited to 17psi I think...and even with that, I'm getting traction control blinking at me from about 3500rpm on to 6000.
4th and above all seem to hook as long as the road is dry. If it's wet, you better not go WOT in any gear for too long!

So my response - being that this is the first car that I've had that could make serious power gains from just flashing, it's kinda uncanny to me. Normally, going fast in a Honda means making noise, buzzes and rattles, and perhaps some terrible smells. It's unreal how fast the car is (and was, honestly). I can finally understand what people mean when they say the car is 'too fast.' It sounds crazy, but I can almost never go full throttle on my daily commute route. Even if I jump on the highway, the roads are too clogged to do much of anything. I could drive a SLOW car 100% and either not draw too much attention or at least not be tripling the speed limits. In the TypeR, I barely have to exercise the thing to break several laws.

All this said, it's totally worth it. There is nothing else you can bolt on to the car to make this kind of power or impact. It's still essentially a sleeper because it's silent. You can definitely surprise some M's and S-Audi's - especially if you don't have the telltale salad shooter exhaust.
The few times the road opens up gloriously and traffic parts, it's so fun to just blast! Highway trips are the best because it has great control, brakes, and power. Left lane hogs are no longer an issue. Downshifts are not required.

I love it and I highly recommend a KTuner to everyone with a turbo Honda!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your goal of 400whp is easily obtainable now!
It's achievable but it's going to take some more work... more on that topic later!

Iā€™m just queries , is there a maf solution at the moment ? What exactly do you mean by maxing out the maf ? I noticed hondata saying something about the voltage of the maf, would we need a larger maf ? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to grip my head around this. Thanks
There is not yet a MAF solution and it's going to be holding us back. We are maxing out the MAF in that the range of the sensor is 0-5V (or maybe 1-5V?). At max, we are seeing 4.85V from the MAF. We could ask for more, but we would certainly exceed the range of the MAF and risk running the engine lean. Not only that, but hitting close to 5V on the MAF will cause a Check Engine light for MAF high voltage.
The solution is either a differently calibrated MAF, or a larger MAF housing to hold the stock, OEM MAF.
If we go bigger on the MAF housing, we will run into issues with heating up the charged air with the new flow capacity so that will cause more issues.

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
350whp/wtq is enought for me,and i hope get it on 91oct catless and intake

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
350whp/wtq is enought for me,and i hope get it on 91oct catless and intake
Can't say for sure, but I don't see why you wouldn't get there with those supporting mods. Better look into an intercooler though too!

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
So I don't have a dyno graph quite yet, but I will give some first impressions.

I have only driven it flashed for my drive to work this morning (in Mexico of course), so I haven't had much chance to do anything due to traffic. In the couple of places where I was able to get a launch going, it hooks so much better than the stock tune. Second definitely spins a bit. Third didn't feel spin and didn't see the light come on, but that may have been many factors. The tires seem to hold it a little better than the stocks are reporting as I didn't feel as much spin as these other reports in second or third. The AFR when flooring it seems spot on generally (11.8-11.9), I kept the laptop open and datalogged the trip this morning. Pulls really hard now lower and pulls really hard in the higher RPM range where it used to fall off a little.

I think once I get the tires warmed up and get a good launch it I will be able to report better with how it is running. For now I'm going to go through my datalog and see if there is anything exciting to find.

If anyone has questions I can find in a datalog, feel free to ask.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I don't have a dyno graph quite yet, but I will give some first impressions.

I have only driven it flashed for my drive to work this morning (in Mexico of course), so I haven't had much chance to do anything due to traffic. In the couple of places where I was able to get a launch going, it hooks so much better than the stock tune. Second definitely spins a bit. Third didn't feel spin and didn't see the light come on, but that may have been many factors. The tires seem to hold it a little better than the stocks are reporting as I didn't feel as much spin as these other reports in second or third. The AFR when flooring it seems spot on generally (11.8-11.9), I kept the laptop open and datalogged the trip this morning. Pulls really hard now lower and pulls really hard in the higher RPM range where it used to fall off a little.

I think once I get the tires warmed up and get a good launch it I will be able to report better with how it is running. For now I'm going to go through my datalog and see if there is anything exciting to find.

If anyone has questions I can find in a datalog, feel free to ask.
Sounds good! I can't wait to get some warm pavement with proper tires up here!
Take a look at your intake air temps...are you still on stock intercooler?

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Integra GS-R (sold). 2000 Integra Type R (sold). 2017 Civic Type R.
Country flag
Thanks for all the initial impressions guys. Sounds scary fun. I know for me personally, just driving around stock I have to do my best with modulating the throttle to not just light up the tires in first and second. Getting onto a hwy going thru the gears I can easily hit over 100 while on the ramp so I'm curious to know just how much of this new found power can really be used considering how fast the CTR already gets up to speed limits in stock form. My other concern is mountain runs. A group of us here in Atlanta head up to the North GA mountains once a month and have some fun on those winding roads. Lots of short hairpin turns that only use 2nd and 3rd gears. I'm wondering if I could even use the stage 1 for that due to the torque and wheel spin. Wonder if a custom flash could be made for that scenario.

Anyways, anyone planning on grabbing the Hasport rear engine mount to help with wheel hop? Curious to see how that might help with the Ktuner flashed cars.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i want third gears spinning
Pretty sure Iā€™m close. Switch to +R and the right road and Iā€™m pretty sure it will go. There is a definite difference in wheel spin between driving modes and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s due to power targets in mode or relaxed traction control in modes.

OP
OP
KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Thanks for all the initial impressions guys. Sounds scary fun. I know for me personally, just driving around stock I have to do my best with modulating the throttle to not just light up the tires in first and second. Getting onto a hwy going thru the gears I can easily hit over 100 while on the ramp so I'm curious to know just how much of this new found power can really be used considering how fast the CTR already gets up to speed limits in stock form. My other concern is mountain runs. A group of us here in Atlanta head up to the North GA mountains once a month and have some fun on those winding roads. Lots of short hairpin turns that only use 2nd and 3rd gears. I'm wondering if I could even use the stage 1 for that due to the torque and wheel spin. Wonder if a custom flash could be made for that scenario.

Anyways, anyone planning on grabbing the Hasport rear engine mount to help with wheel hop? Curious to see how that might help with the Ktuner flashed cars.
Once the tires are warm you will definitely grip better.

A custom setup to dampen any gear range that you are getting a bit too much torque is easy to do. Or even by RPM specifically. I can help you setup something that works for your needs.

We have been testing with the Hasport rear mount and it definitely helps!
Sponsored