Ktuned Short Ram Intake 3" questions

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Just bought this SRI http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/10th-Gen-SI-15T-Short-Ram-_p_891.html

Only reason I bought it is because it was cheaper than all other CAI that I could find and my understanding is there isnt much of a performance difference or even a gain with most CAI except for the PRL which I couldn't even afford. If I were to get any CAI it would be the K&N intake. Anyways, apparently this SRI is made to ONLY work with a Ktuner as listed on the website and I do have one on the way that is actually coming tomorrow.

I was curious if anyone has any experience with this particular intake because I couldnt find a single review for it for 10th generation models. The seller I bought it from (on ebay) hasnt even shipped it yet so if you guys convince me this SRI absolutely sucks its not to late for me to cancel and purchase the K&N CAI for like $291. But I am curious about this SRI because it says its specially meant for ktuner.
Sponsored

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
From what I understand, any intake that requires a tune such as this intake will need a specific tune for the intake itself such as the MAP Performance intake.

However, the KTuner base maps are designed to work with either stock intakes or intakes that do not affect fuel trims.

Since KTuned does not provide a tune specifically for their intake, maybe you will require a Dyno tune to correct any fuel trims issues.

Since you are getting the KTuner anyway, why not put it on and check your fuel trims? If it's in the correct range, then you're all good.

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Oh one more thing, if you are able to spend about $300 for a KN&N, I would suggest just picking up a Mishimoto unit for $299. It will keep stock fuel trims and run cooler as well because of the box. You will also get the sound you are looking for, although not as loud as an open filter SRI like the KTuned one.

OP
OP
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
From what I understand, any intake that requires a tune such as this intake will need a specific tune for the intake itself such as the MAP Performance intake.

However, the KTuner base maps are designed to work with either stock intakes or intakes that do not affect fuel trims.

Since KTuned does not provide a tune specifically for their intake, maybe you will require a Dyno tune to correct any fuel trims issues.

Since you are getting the KTuner anyway, why not put it on and check your fuel trims? If it's in the correct range, then you're all good.
I just sent them an email to see if they provide a specific tune to run with it. I hope its going to run okay, I plan to just use the standard 19.5/23 psi that comes with the ktuner. I dont really know how to check the fuel trims tbh

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I hope they can provide some insight on it. I haven't seen any reviews for it as well.

As far as checking fuel trims, download the tunerview app on your phone. It's $5 but well worth it. It will essentially connect to your Ktuner via Bluetooth.

The app itself will monitor your fuel trims and other vital info in real time as you are driving. That way you can see if the intake is causing your fuel trims to be out of accepteable range.

OP
OP
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I hope they can provide some insight on it. I haven't seen any reviews for it as well.

As far as checking fuel trims, download the tunerview app on your phone. It's $5 but well worth it. It will essentially connect to your Ktuner via Bluetooth.

The app itself will monitor your fuel trims and other vital info in real time as you are driving. That way you can see if the intake is causing your fuel trims to be out of accepteable range.
Honestly, I dont feel like being a guenea pig so I requested that they cancel my order. Any thoughts on the PRL SRI? Its the same cost as the Mishimoto CAI is it just worth it to go for that? I dont know much about Mishimoto as a company. Why do you recommend it over the K&N?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I've heard good things about the PRL SRI. The problem w/ companies like K&N that just make intakes for every car under the sun is that there's no way they can fully test them to make sure they aren't causing fuel trim issues. I prefer companies that develop products specifically for a few specific platforms for parts like this.

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Honestly, I dont feel like being a guenea pig so I requested that they cancel my order. Any thoughts on the PRL SRI? Its the same cost as the Mishimoto CAI is it just worth it to go for that? I dont know much about Mishimoto as a company. Why do you recommend it over the K&N?

I have the prl SRI and I love it. You'll see higher IAT1 while sitting in traffic but from what I've seen it has zero effect on IAT2. While driving it's not much higher than stock airbox

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
As fenix-silver mentioned, K&N just makes intakes for the car without specifically testing them for each model. Where as companies like Mishimoto and PRL take their time to make sure that their intakes will not mess with the fuel trims.

Since you want sound and do not mind a short ram design, the PRL sri is a good choice.

OP
OP
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
As fenix-silver mentioned, K&N just makes intakes for the car without specifically testing them for each model. Where as companies like Mishimoto and PRL take their time to make sure that their intakes will not mess with the fuel trims.

Since you want sound and do not mind a short ram design, the PRL sri is a good choice.
I think I decided against the standard CAI just because I am to afraid of water getting into the intake, so I will either buy the PRL SRI or a member on here is selling a 27WON CAI which I hear is like waterlog proof so I will buy that as long as its for the right price.

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I think I decided against the standard CAI just because I am to afraid of water getting into the intake, so I will either buy the PRL SRI or a member on here is selling a 27WON CAI which I hear is like waterlog proof so I will buy that as long as its for the right price.
Excellent choices for an intake for your car. Can't go wrong with either. :thumbsup:

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
I have the PRL SRI and the honeycomb grille (with full bolt-ons) and I never saw IAT2 go above 110 in 90 degree weather yesterday. This was on the freeway and more importantly, stop and go city traffic.
Sponsored