Keyless Start System Problem

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
I am having a terrible time when I try to do something nice for my car. Take it to get detailed and they scratch it. Take it to get tinted and not only can they not tint it, I now have an error message that there is a Keyless Start System Problem. Details in the video.

I was scheduled to get tint done first thing tomorrow but now I need to get it to the dealer so they can get this figured out.

Anybody else experience this? There is also a noise from the hatch after I turn off the car that sounds like it is continuously unlocking. The car also locks itself intermittently when walking around the outside with the fob in my pocket.

Sponsored

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
Once and the dealer reset it. Had to use the close proximity start, hold key close to button. Also later learned they disconnected the battery.

OP
OP
jedisrus

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Once and the dealer reset it. Had to use the close proximity start, hold key close to button. Also later learned they disconnected the battery.
Thanks. My first inclination was to disconnect the battery. I will let Honda deal with it tomorrow.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had the Keyless Start issue once after a torrential rain in February. I don't know if the rain had something to do with it or not - but never seen it again.

OP
OP
jedisrus

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Had the Keyless Start issue once after a torrential rain in February. I don't know if the rain had something to do with it or not - but never seen it again.
That's interesting. The installer did try to install the back tint and there were all kinds of water streaks down the back of my car. I wonder if water got into a sensor somewhere back there and that is causing the problem.

C Powers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback
I got my Civic Hatchback a week ago and yesterday I got the same message on the dash. The remote start does not work now. Anyone else having these problems and maybe a solution. Going to dealer on Monday.

OP
OP
jedisrus

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Update:

After the first night the error message went away. Everything worked properly.

Took the car to be tinted the following day. When I dropped it off there wasn't an error message. The message was back when I picked it up after being tinted. So I took it in to the dealer.

They ran all kinds of diagnostics and resets and could not get the error to stay cleared. They kept the car overnight. The following morning the message was gone.

They believe something got wet both times I went to get the car tinted causing the error. Given time to dry out made the error go away. That is their speculation.

xcx4x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX, 1989 bmw e30 325i
Country flag
hey I am having the same error after getting my windows tinted. but mine does not flicker like yours does. Let's keep talking and helping each other. I will be going to the dealer probably this sunday.

Randallel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Lunar SIlver
Hmm, that's interesting. I got my Civic tinted, but didn't have any issues.

OP
OP
jedisrus

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
hey I am having the same error after getting my windows tinted. but mine does not flicker like yours does. Let's keep talking and helping each other. I will be going to the dealer probably this sunday.
If anything like mine you won't have to go to the dealer on Sunday because the error will be gone on Saturday. :) Do try to remote start it if the error does go away.

xcx4x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX, 1989 bmw e30 325i
Country flag
EDIT: So the notification in my cluster is gone, but the symbol is still on my infotainment system.hmmm....When I take it in for my first oil change at Honda I'll have them figure that out...

remote start works.

i did find a green insert tab thingy in my trunk tho...i think when the tint guy took off whatever he took off he broke something :/

Last edited:

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
I am having a terrible time when I try to do something nice for my car. Take it to get detailed and they scratch it. Take it to get tinted and not only can they not tint it, I now have an error message that there is a Keyless Start System Problem. Details in the video.

I was scheduled to get tint done first thing tomorrow but now I need to get it to the dealer so they can get this figured out.

Anybody else experience this? There is also a noise from the hatch after I turn off the car that sounds like it is continuously unlocking. The car also locks itself intermittently when walking around the outside with the fob in my pocket.

I have a similar but different problem. . . . My smart entry does not work after walking away from a new 2017 civic hatchback EX. All the functions on the key FOB work... When I get back to the vehicle and put my hand in the handle to open the car it does not recognize my hand. It's like the car has gone to sleep.... However, if I use a lock button once it does work. It's been like this from day one. Several days at the dealership, replacing the key fobs didn't work, trying to figure out what the problem is with Honda tech support but no solution yet.

Last edited:

Rican408

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EXT
Just ran into this exact same issue yesterday. Going to take it to the dealer this morning and see what happens. I wonder if we can find a way to tint the windows in the future without this happening.

AegeanHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Just had my windows done and I got the same issue. "Keyless Start System Problem".

I'm gonna give it a day or 2 and see if it goes away like some of your guys' have.

rabit1111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Just had my windows done and I got the same issue. "Keyless Start System Problem".

I'm gonna give it a day or 2 and see if it goes away like some of your guys' have.
Just got it tainted this morning with the exact problem. Did your go away?
Sponsored