John_Zombie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2018 Si
Country flag
So, I know that Honda is a hot car mostly stolen at least the older models. Any worries I should have with my 2018? What can I do to mitigate theft? Wheel locks? How safe is the 10th gen?
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, I know that Honda is a hot car mostly stolen at least the older models. Any worries I should have with my 2018? What can I do to mitigate theft? Wheel locks? How safe is the 10th gen?
I don't think theft is a big deal since they went to smart keys on those trims having them. You can't just jam a screwdriver in the car to turn it over. I can hotwire a car... by virtue of replacing a couple key switch assemblies. The push starts would not permit this... and I don't know of an electronic tool that can defeat it. Cars still taking keys without transponders would be easy pickings. I don't know if the trims using keys have them.

Wheel locks are a deterrent to losing your wheels... as is parking your car in good neighborhoods... well lit... if right up against the house, with an obvious camera. There are threads on wheels being stolen. I know of none that had wheel locks ahead of time... though people told stories in the threads of having wheel locks on previously. Do what you can and keep a deductable onhand. In the whole scheme of things... losing wheels/tires sucks but it doesn't break the car. Anyone that has it happen pays their deductable, gets a check and gets new rims/tires. I think most went with something better than OEM.

OP
OP
John_Zombie

John_Zombie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2018 Si
Country flag
I don't think theft is a big deal since they went to smart keys on those trims having them. You can't just jam a screwdriver in the car to turn it over. I can hotwire a car... by virtue of replacing a couple key switch assemblies. The push starts would not permit this... and I don't know of an electronic tool that can defeat it. Cars still taking keys without transponders would be easy pickings. I don't know if the trims using keys have them.

Wheel locks are a deterrent to losing your wheels... as is parking your car in good neighborhoods... well lit... if right up against the house, with an obvious camera. There are threads on wheels being stolen. I know of none that had wheel locks ahead of time... though people told stories in the threads of having wheel locks on previously. Do what you can and keep a deductable onhand. In the whole scheme of things... losing wheels/tires sucks but it doesn't break the car. Anyone that has it happen pays their deductable, gets a check and gets new rims/tires. I think most went with something better than OEM.
Thanks man! Really appreciate the suggestion. I agree, It would make it a lot more difficult for someone to bypass the smart key systems. Where can I purchase a great wheel lock system?

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i know for sure that many cars with keyless system are extremely easy to start through the OBD port in a few seconds, the Evoque is so easy that somebody developed an armored OBD locking device...
Fortunately here car theft is very very rare.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks man! Really appreciate the suggestion. I agree, It would make it a lot more difficult for someone to bypass the smart key systems. Where can I purchase a great wheel lock system?
I have the OEM wheel locks. There are a few others I've heard of... and some may be better than others. Someone else hopefully will chime in. Like locking the doors to your home... it won't prevent someone from kicking down your door if they *really* want to get it... or a pro w/the proper tools and experience to get in. It is a deterrent from someone trying to get an easy score. Anything that makes the process to slower... and in an environment you put the car in not conducive to getting away with it will make it safer.

I don't know of any OBD2 interface device that will plug n play and start your car like that. Could there be...? Sure. I read up on car stuff all the time and that's one thing I haven't happened across. I would imagine there is a great deal of encryption... that is likely hackable as all things are... but I don't know that it is a tool in the toolbox of any car thieves. I'd venture to say most car thieves looking to steal a $20-25k car are not the most successful people in life... and are likely not well equipped. They are looking for a quick easy score... which is why unlocked wheels on late model cars parked in bad/isolated areas are hot items. Any idiot with a scissor jack, 4 cinder blocks and a lugnut wrench can have them all off in 5 minutes... maybe less if there was one working the jack and another the blocks/wrench. Individual wheels/tires are not tracable. The whole car? Yep... you'd have to have a chop shop and part it out. You'd never sell the whole thing. As for joy riders? They'd pick something they can start with a screwdriver/hotwire.
Sponsored

Last edited: