kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
Toyota said a MT is not coming and if you want a manual to go get an 86.

Sucks but this is the world we live in now :(
Toyota never said that...during their press meeting they mentioned they will explore a manual variant in the future if demand is high.
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Toyota actually did say that. Read this road and track article: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/amp28675657/toyota-supra-no-manual/

It's sad but I guess the amount of people who would buy a manual is too small to justify.
it really is unfortunate.
But i guess it makes sense. The ZF will most likely give you better fuel economy, faster track times both 1/4 mile and circuit racing, and comfortable to drive on a daily basis due to having a torque converter.

Even the corvette who has had a manual all these years even with 755 hp has moved on from MT ...

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag

GundamTypeR

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't get the obsessed comparison of these two cars. IMO, supra is better all around than the type R...but there's a price to pay.

I also don't get how anyone argues that the Type R is better lol...to me, the supra has way more power (from what I've seen on dynos, not the MFR's numbers) and it's RWD!

But, I still like my Type R better...because my wife would kill me if I traded it in right now...but later...different story :D I'm thinking 2021 I'll trade in for the Supra
Did you do it lmao

catspaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '04 RX8
Country flag
I suppose I would have been the target for this sort of comparison because I literally cross-shopped the Supra and Civic. I picked the Type R because of how much more livable and usable it would be for everyday life, and I'd still be getting 80% of the performance. Plus the launch edition Supras were a hot mess.

E404

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' SGP FK8
Country flag
I don't get the obsessed comparison of these two cars. IMO, supra is better all around than the type R...but there's a price to pay.

I also don't get how anyone argues that the Type R is better lol...to me, the supra has way more power (from what I've seen on dynos, not the MFR's numbers) and it's RWD!

But, I still like my Type R better...because my wife would kill me if I traded it in right now...but later...different story :D I'm thinking 2021 I'll trade in for the Supra
How many more days till you trade it in?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I did have the chance to test drive my buddy’s 2019 (so the 330 HP model). It definitely could launch better than the Civic, but overall it didn’t feel that much faster than my Type R did; even in a straight line (rolling). I should note that the temps were in their 50’s and weather cloudy at the time though. One thing I do need to say is that torque builds up very quickly on the Supra which I would love to have in the Type R as you do have to at least get ⅓ through the rev range before you feel anything in the FK8; the Supra was more or less immediate (by 2k you were good to go).

While the seating position is lower in the Supra for me, the seats weren’t as comfortable as the Civic’s (I’ve had trouble finding a car that bests the FK8 in this regard). I really wasn’t a fan of the way car’s shift logic, so I tended to revert back to manual control using the paddle shifters or slapping the gear selector back and forth which worked decently well. The car’s 9 gears definitely wasn’t designed well for this in mind though.

I didn’t get a chance to really push it much around corners and stuff unfortunately, for everyday work the steering felt good and the car felt good overall. The cabin of the Supra is a little more cramped, but not too bad. Overall the Supra does feel like a proper sports car, but with the 330 HP model, it desperately needs a 6 or 7 speed manual. Though since then, the 380 HP model has been released, so the similar power levels is no where near anymore I’d assume.

I then told my buddy to hop into the driver’s seat of the FK8 and take that for a spin. He was able to do a couple pulls with it and said it seemed like it was around similar power levels to the Supra at peak with much more comfortable seats. It had been a while since he was in a manual so the rev matching was very helpful for him. He didn’t stall which he was surprised by though I wasn’t (it’s actually quite difficult to stall the Type R).

I must admit, I probably didn’t push the Supra as strong as I could have though.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
check this out

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Im really starting to dig the new supra more and more. I dont mind the fact about the collaboration with BMW at all either. I dont think I could bring myself to get rid of the R, so maybe in a few more years Ill pick one up to supplement it.

The auto trans despite not being DCT seems incredibly responsive, and both the trans and block have shown to hold up well to a lot of power, which is nice. Being auto also means my wife could drive it as well if she needs to. Seems like a great weekend car to me.

Cant wait to see where the platform goes, seems pretty easy to get these things near 500whp with ethanol and bolt ons.