Katana LED H11 Headlight Review

B0nez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si Coupe | '08 FJ Cruiser | '05 Jeep LJ
Country flag
After reading through this thread and the HID vs LED thread I was really on the fence about which way to go to replace the halogens on my Si Coupe; I like the output and focus of the HID's but I didn't like the extra wiring and hardware needed to install them correctly.

Si@Vegas was kind enough to meet up with me for a few minutes last night so I could check out his car (great looking ride!) and he demonstrated each bulb (low, high and fog) and explained why he chose what he chose (this guy is awesome!).

After grilling him for info and seeing the output and color of his lights I have now added the exact same setup he has to my amazon shopping cart; bonus - I can replace all of my lights for less than the HID low beams.
Low Beam:
KATANA H11 H8 H9 LED Headlight Bulbs,CREE Chips 12000Lm 5090Lux 6500K Extremely Bright Conversion Kit,360 Degree Adjustable Beam Angle

High Beam:
TECHMAX Mini 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs,60W 10000Lm 4700Lux 6500K Cool White Extremely Bright 30mm Heatsink Base CREE Chips HB3 Conversion Kit(of 2)

FOG:
TECHMAX Mini H11 LED Headlight Bulbs,60W 10000Lm 4700Lux 6500K Cool White Extremely Bright 30mm Heatsink Base CREE Chips H8 H9 Conversion Kit(of 2)

Lastly, I know there are going to be some comments about how HIDs are better etc and I will just say this now to those that are going to say it; yep, you are right, I agree 100%. That being said, my eyes are still good enough to see just fine with these and they fit my budget and it's for MY car (not something everyone else is using), so if you don't like it then don't look at my car and focus on YOUR fancy headlights instead. ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
arsh88

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I’m glad this helped so many people. Bumping it since I keep seeing more questions on LEDs and figured this might help a few more

OP
OP
arsh88

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thinking of pulling the trigger on these. I also was swayed due to bulb facts video involving the best LED's on Amazon. I'm glad I stumbled upon this post! Seems like the best budget LED to go with for the projector style low beams in the 10th gen civics. How much blue would you say there is? (0-10 scale, 10 being most blue) I really want a bright white LED under $100. I was about to pull the trigger on the $89 Hikari's but after seeing the Katana's and how they both had blue hints to them and similar production (Hikari potentially being more blue based on bulb facts video), I'd rather save the money if the differences are negligible. Also, if you have any updates on your experience with them since the install, let me know! Thanks
I’d say 2/10 on blue, it’s just blue enough to be able to say it’s blue but still white enough that it looks identical to the DRLs.

IMO the katanas are the best bulbs money can buy given the value. They’re half the price of hikari and 1/4th the price of morimoto and can go toe to toe with both. My buddy has a different brand he was bragging about and even he admitted my bulbs are better when he saw them in person.

For my experience I’m still in love with them, they’re amazing

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting and the throw is better than halogens huh

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just got them installed. They look really good! Very bright, crisp lighting, no adjustment needed and the throw is pretty solid with nice concentrated beams. As @arsh88 said, there is maybe a very slight blue tint to them, but very hard to pick up unless you're really looking for it. If they do well with in climate weather and are lasting these will be a steal.
Cool the throw is nice like halogens?

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
So, last night I did the hi and lo beams just as B0nez did above (waiting to do the fogs, but purchased the bulbs). Holy cow, it's quite an improvement. Even more than the stupid rattles my car has, I think Honda should be ebarrassed for putting halogen bulbs in their cars. Long live Thomas Edison, but filament bulbs should be phased out.

I also ordered up some reverse LEDs, as the lighting for the camera is really weak I think.

OP
OP
arsh88

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, last night I did the hi and lo beams just as B0nez did above (waiting to do the fogs, but purchased the bulbs). Holy cow, it's quite an improvement. Even more than the stupid rattles my car has, I think Honda should be ebarrassed for putting halogen bulbs in their cars. Long live Thomas Edison, but filament bulbs should be phased out.

I also ordered up some reverse LEDs, as the lighting for the camera is really weak I think.
If you haven't already, definitely add LEDs to the interior as well.
https://www.amazon.com/SEALIGHT-Rep...=sealight+194&qid=1564144224&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I added those to mine ( great price, bright but not obnoxious on the inside and enough to do 2 cars). I was at the dealer the other day (free oil changes for 3 years) and the service lady was blown away at how nice they looked and was talking about how she doesn't understand why they just can't include LEDs stock.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic ex
Country flag
thanks arsh88, for your research on these katana led's....ordered through amazon, switched mine out, very happy with em, makes driving at night sweet.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I installed the Hikari H11 9600lm, 6k LED bulbs in my low beams and fog lights, as well as Hikari 9005 9600lm, 6k LED high beams.
They were installed two weeks ago.
BEST lighting upgrade I've ever done.
The "color" and crispness match the DRL lights.
But, most important to me, is that the light provided down the road, is heads and shoulders above the stock halogen bulbs.
(no, I've never experienced HID, so I have no basis of comparison)

Ghosted

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I second the Katana for low beams. I used beamtech for the highs and fogs since those seem to work better on reflector housings
as opposed to projector housings per the test conducted by bulbfacts if i recall correctly. I'm very happy with them, very nice output and pattern.
I normally use xenondepot kits on all my previous vehicles, and I'm glad I went LED this time around.

JT
Hey JT,
I'm also using Katana for lows, but looking for good yellow led for fogs. Does beamtech comes in yellow?

Thanks in advance.

Tw1tcHy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
After reading through this thread and the HID vs LED thread I was really on the fence about which way to go to replace the halogens on my Si Coupe; I like the output and focus of the HID's but I didn't like the extra wiring and hardware needed to install them correctly.

Si@Vegas was kind enough to meet up with me for a few minutes last night so I could check out his car (great looking ride!) and he demonstrated each bulb (low, high and fog) and explained why he chose what he chose (this guy is awesome!).

After grilling him for info and seeing the output and color of his lights I have now added the exact same setup he has to my amazon shopping cart; bonus - I can replace all of my lights for less than the HID low beams.
Low Beam:
KATANA H11 H8 H9 LED Headlight Bulbs,CREE Chips 12000Lm 5090Lux 6500K Extremely Bright Conversion Kit,360 Degree Adjustable Beam Angle

High Beam:
TECHMAX Mini 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs,60W 10000Lm 4700Lux 6500K Cool White Extremely Bright 30mm Heatsink Base CREE Chips HB3 Conversion Kit(of 2)

FOG:
TECHMAX Mini H11 LED Headlight Bulbs,60W 10000Lm 4700Lux 6500K Cool White Extremely Bright 30mm Heatsink Base CREE Chips H8 H9 Conversion Kit(of 2)

Lastly, I know there are going to be some comments about how HIDs are better etc and I will just say this now to those that are going to say it; yep, you are right, I agree 100%. That being said, my eyes are still good enough to see just fine with these and they fit my budget and it's for MY car (not something everyone else is using), so if you don't like it then don't look at my car and focus on YOUR fancy headlights instead. ;)
Just ordered all of these, thanks for the handy links! :)

Should arrive tomorrow, may install them then depending on what time they arrive or Friday, weather depending. Worst case it'll be in a week or so from now. I'm over the weak output of the stock Halogens. I was tempted to purchase the TRS LED kit, but seems wise to give this a shot first and see if it satisfies me enough.

Tw1tcHy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
UPDATE: Lights arrived about 30 minutes ago. God bless one day delivery haha!

Install was easy and straight forward for both the high beams and the lows. I need to buy a small pack of zip ties, especially to better mount that passenger side driver as I'm not a fan of how it currently is for a long term solution. Output looks great so far, the sun is still up but the beams were much more noticeable on my garage door than they were with the stock halogens. I'm actually kind of excited for nightfall so I can test them out later when I grab myself a late dinner. Bought the fog LEDs as well but will save those for a later time. Will probably buy an Accord horn and take care of a few things while the bumper is already off to replace the fogs.

B0nez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si Coupe | '08 FJ Cruiser | '05 Jeep LJ
Country flag
UPDATE: Lights arrived about 30 minutes ago. God bless one day delivery haha!

Install was easy and straight forward for both the high beams and the lows. I need to buy a small pack of zip ties, especially to better mount that passenger side driver as I'm not a fan of how it currently is for a long term solution. Output looks great so far, the sun is still up but the beams were much more noticeable on my garage door than they were with the stock halogens. I'm actually kind of excited for nightfall so I can test them out later when I grab myself a late dinner. Bought the fog LEDs as well but will save those for a later time. Will probably buy an Accord horn and take care of a few things while the bumper is already off to replace the fogs.
That's great news! Glad it helped
Sponsored