K&N high flow engine filter

Keep stock engine filter or replace the aftermaket one??

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Yes. Keep stock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. Keep stock

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joamss

Vietnamese Civic owner
First Name
Khoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
Hi everyone!
Firstly i wanna introduce myself. Im vietnamese and just came in the Us for 3 years, so im sorry if i got bad grammar or posting it in the wrong place

Ok lets get into the thread that im concerning about.
I just bought a brand new 2019 civic hatchback sport touring. Im wondering anyone use the drop in K&N engine filter yet? And what is your opinion about that? And will the new engine filter void the warranty of the new car?
Sponsored

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When it was time to replace the engine filter I replaced it with the K&N one. Ive had no issues and no it wont void your warranty. However, don't pop it in based solely off the hype that you'll suddenly get amazing gas mileage and a noticeable difference in horsepower because you won't. I noticed no discernable difference between the stock filter and the K&N. If, however, you are opting to put it in because in the long run it will end up saving money since you can simply clean it and reuse it, super, it will more than live up to your expectations. But like I said, don't go into it thinking you will notice any difference.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I put in a K&N drop in filter. I can’t be too sure, but I felt a slight increase in torque and 2 mpg increase in fuel economy. It’s been tested by 3rd parties and has proven to be effective in both HP and torque.
It won’t void your warranty, or at least it shouldn’t. My Honda dealer parts department even sells them.
And don’t be concerned with your grammar, it be fine

OP
OP

Joamss

Vietnamese Civic owner
First Name
Khoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I put in a K&N drop in filter. I can’t be too sure, but I felt a slight increase in torque and 2 mpg increase in fuel economy. It’s been tested by 3rd parties and has proven to be effective in both HP and torque.
It won’t void your warranty, or at least it shouldn’t. My Honda dealer parts department even sells them.
And don’t be concerned with your grammar, it be fine

Thanks a lot.
Honestly i did put k&n filter in my old car 09 acura tsx, i wasnt afraid cause it was an old car lol, and it was just fine and my car was actually gained 3mpg than my friend's acura.
This time im not too sure to put in so i need yours advise :)

OP
OP

Joamss

Vietnamese Civic owner
First Name
Khoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When it was time to replace the engine filter I replaced it with the K&N one. Ive had no issues and no it wont void your warranty. However, don't pop it in based solely off the hype that you'll suddenly get amazing gas mileage and a noticeable difference in horsepower because you won't. I noticed no discernable difference between the stock filter and the K&N. If, however, you are opting to put it in because in the long run it will end up saving money since you can simply clean it and reuse it, super, it will more than live up to your expectations. But like I said, don't go into it thinking you will notice any difference.
Thanks. I actually looking for something that slighly imporve (more) mpg cause im super heavy on my foot haha. Well, i did try k&n filter and it was amazing, gained 3mg (small number on in odom but it still surprised me) compare to my friend's one. So i hope this civic's k&n filter will do the same thing as it did to my acura

kostantine

First Name
Kostantine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T CVT
Country flag
I didn't feel much power gain when installed k&n but I have definitely felt the power response drop when had to go back to oem filter while k&n was drying after getting washed...

OP
OP

Joamss

Vietnamese Civic owner
First Name
Khoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I didn't feel much power gain when installed k&n but I have definitely felt the power response drop when had to go back to oem filter while k&n was drying after getting washed...
Thanks for your opinion :)

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I say stick to oem filter. But only get a Honda filter. They are a very good quality filter. It seems to be a cotton blend that is oiled. I only use Honda filters in my 2.0 and my girlfriends 1.5 turbo. I order mine from hondapartsnow.com
Honda Civic 10th gen K&N high flow engine filter EF05F6FB-0903-4A55-9D25-D919CB6D9361

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I sense an increase in eagerness to rev with the K&N filter. The car just feels sluggish to me without it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Joamss

Vietnamese Civic owner
First Name
Khoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I say stick to oem filter. But only get a Honda filter. They are a very good quality filter. It seems to be a cotton blend that is oiled. I only use Honda filters in my 2.0 and my girlfriends 1.5 turbo. I order mine from hondapartsnow.com
EF05F6FB-0903-4A55-9D25-D919CB6D9361.jpeg
Thanks. Thats good to know. Seem like i have to try out that oem filter and k&n

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Here's a short dissertation that I wrote in another thread.

All air filters create a restriction of the air flow. This means that as the engine draws air, the effective "atmospheric" pressure will be less between the air filter and the turbo compressor. That is, that the turbo will be compressing air back up to a higher pressure from a source that is effectively several hundred ( maybe over a thousand ) feet higher in effective altitude than what you are actually at. The stronger the draw, the bigger the pressure differential between the filter and the turbo compressor.

Tests have shown that "oiled filters" are built to let the stickiness capture the particles instead of restrictions. Therefore they have the least amount of restriction and allow the lowest possible pressure differential.

I've been using a stock form K&N filter for over 50,000 miles with no noticeable "oil" migration.

If you really want to have fun, try racing around the block a few times with the air filter removed. The only restriction will be the intake tube itself. You will get the fullest, densest, air charge to your turbo compressor, and therefore the most performance you current setup will allow.

In the olden days people used to use "Velocity Stacks" instead of air filters on their intakes, A "Velocity Stack" was basically a funnel to suck up the air as smoothly a possibly. Where your engine can "swallow" a couple of mosquitoes or gnats and not think anything of it, much more than that starts to create residue build up that will gum up the works.

Lots of people here are really concerned about fine dust building up in their intake components. If I lived near a desert, i would too. But since I live and drive in the part of the county that is forested and humid with loamy soil, I have less concern about "dust" build up.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The only reason I will never use a k&n anymore is because I had one in my old Honda. It was a drop in filter. I had it in for about 30,000 miles before I traded it in for my new civic. But I had checked my intake by running my finger in the intake tube downstream of the filter and my finger had some really fine dust on it. So that told me it was allowing this dust into my engine. Now I did the same test to my girlfriends car who continued to use the oem filters and hers was spotless like it was brand new! So I told myself I would only stick to oem filters with my new car. And also the restriction the air filter gives your engine is what gives your engine its vacuum. That vacuum is important to how that engine runs. Honda engineers designed and programmed that engine to run its best with a certain amount of vacuum that was achieved using the oem Honda filter. So I figure just stick to oem and change it every 20,000 miles and you’ll be fine. They are not that expensive. That way you have a brand new filter with the best fitment every time.

OP
OP

Joamss

Vietnamese Civic owner
First Name
Khoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The only reason I will never use a k&n anymore is because I had one in my old Honda. It was a drop in filter. I had it in for about 30,000 miles before I traded it in for my new civic. But I had checked my intake by running my finger in the intake tube downstream of the filter and my finger had some really fine dust on it. So that told me it was allowing this dust into my engine. Now I did the same test to my girlfriends car who continued to use the oem filters and hers was spotless like it was brand new! So I told myself I would only stick to oem filters with my new car. And also the restriction the air filter gives your engine is what gives your engine its vacuum. That vacuum is important to how that engine runs. Honda engineers designed and programmed that engine to run its best with a certain amount of vacuum that was achieved using the oem Honda filter. So I figure just stick to oem and change it every 20,000 miles and you’ll be fine. They are not that expensive. That way you have a brand new filter with the best fitment every time.
So if the tube got so much dust like you said, is it possible to clean up? Or just leave the air intake soaking dust?

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So if the tube got so much dust like you said, is it possible to clean up? Or just leave the air intake soaking dust?
I ended up taking the k&n filter out and threw it away and got an oem filter. I cleaned what I could in the intake tube. But I ended up trading it in shortly after that anyways. Now don’t get me wrong, the engine still ran fine. But the question is, for how long. I just checked my intake on my new civic the other day. I bought it brand new with 20 miles on it. It now has 25,000 on it. I have a tendency of overdoing things so I change my filter every 10,000 miles even though I really don’t need to but oh well lol. But after 20,000 miles that intake is still spotlessly clean like brand new!
Sponsored