Just went from 2018 Si to 2018 Type R

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
Yesterday I traded in my 4 month old Si for an ARRRRGH. I had a 2004 WRX prior to my last car, and the Si felt more refined as a more recent model but not enough of an upgrade. For the money I would spend in mods I could buy an R instead, so I did. Here are my initial impressions over 24 hours.

engine - not pushing it yet, but driving mildly the amount of torque is incredible. Feels like a V6. It is much louder than I expected from reading and watching reviews. At typical rpms 2500-3500 the BRMMM is so loud. I think it's mostly the tuned resonance of the air intake. I thought they might have forgot to instake an air filter so I checked to make sure. Maybe a CAI will change the sound at least if can't reduce it.

handling - as others have said it is super solid and planted, did not think it could be improved over the Si so much. No torque steer! It "just turns" and you can't tell it's FWD. On the Si you can feel the off axis force while turning.

+R/Comfort mode - so cool to play with, although I only use Comfort 95% of the time. The difference in suspension stiffness from Sport mode is much bigger than in the Si, where you could barely tell.

body - I didn't expect the exterior modifications to be so noticeable. It definitely has a different presence than the Si. I keep kicking the sideskirt when stepping into the car.

lighting - didn't much notice the difference in headlamps before, but the full LED headlamps are so cool. LED low beam looks neat but not a huge difference from my Si's LED converted low beam at first glance. Interior map light doesn't turn on when the door opens, which is a bummer.

shifter - quite a bit stiffer. So much more solid and SHORT. I may not need the Acuity parts... Clutch is only 20-30% heavier than the Si. Rev matching makes shifting smoother - I see reduced whiplash in my passengers lol.

ICE - feel like the CPU is a little faster/more responsive and radio reception slightly better?! No glitches so far as I had in the Si.

Honda Civic 10th gen Just went from 2018 Si to 2018 Type R 19901571-950E-4E09-A6E7-1696C66552B9

Honda Civic 10th gen Just went from 2018 Si to 2018 Type R 5B9F7226-6EE7-47D7-A255-EB839EEA4B8D

Last edited:

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Congrats. Thanks for the review. I’ve been curious how the two compare from someone who’s actually owned both. Glad you made the jump vs modding the Si since you had the ability too.

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
How much of a hit did you take when you traded in the Si?

OP
OP

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How much of a hit did you take when you traded in the Si?
Valued at 21k. I paid under MSRP on the Si but we don't get a tax break on trades in CA so it was still quite a hit losing the taxes on the Si.

peterdawolf

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR #16318, 1995 M3 S/C in a 1994 325i
Can't speak for the 10th Gen SI, but the CTR vs the 9th Gen - the 9th Gen SI was "Just a sporty civic". The 10th Gen CTR is "zomgwtfpwned!".

Peter

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Did the same upgrade around the 4 month (white SI to CW Type R).

My suggestions as you start tinkering. Get Ktuner/Hondata. Drive in Type R mode with VSA off (hold VSA button for 5 seconds in Type R mode). You will have fun times...

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Congrats and enjoy. I agree with your initial assessment between the differences.

I did the same (17 si to 18 r) with no regrets. I am still stock but have been in talks with ktuner with getting my ECU unlocked so I can add my v2 from the si. With only a grand on the clock though, I want to wait some more just in case. Can't wait to flash it though

Last edited:

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
Congratulations brother! The review is spot on! Love the CW CTR!

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Congrats and enjoy. I agree with your initial assessment between the differences.

I did the same (17 si to 18 r) with no regrets. I am still stock but have been in talks with ktuner with getting my ECU unlocked so I can add my v2 from the si. With only a grand on the clock though, I want to wait some more just in case. Can't wait to flash it though
I’d wait to tune till after the first oil change, but that’s just me.

OP
OP

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks everyone. I'm still getting used to the car so will wait til 5k or 10k to tune. I have Ktuner from the old car to reuse, but debating whether to pay for the mail order unlock, or to have a local tuner unlock and tune at the same time. Also have the Mishi intercooler and waiting for PRL CAI to be released before I tune.

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

is the difference in power super huge? I heard with few mods Si can beat stock ctr