Country flag

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I think one of the worst things about econ is the increased engine braking. It's what kills it for me, why try to coast in econ when it will just slow me down so much therefore require more gas.

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
I think one of the worst things about econ is the increased engine braking. It's what kills it for me, why try to coast in econ when it will just slow me down so much therefore require more gas.
that is interesting and strange. Why would Honda engineers want there to be more engine braking for economy. I think it must be some side-effect. For efficiency one would want to conserve momentum / coast. I haven't driven my car a ton and normally would not turn the econ button on. I may have to check this out to satisfy my curiosity.

btw, I think the econ button is primarily there for marketing reasons. I think it would be more straightforward to have the econ button on the HVAC like some other cars do and leave the drivetrain out of it.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
I personally haven't noticed this. Have others noticed this increased engine braking when Econ is ON?

evildoer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed MSM
I notice when I accelerate from a traffic light, the status bar at the top stays green, even if I'm climbing a moderate hill. With ECON off, the status bar changes to white on a moderate hill.
Funny I noticed the same thing

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag

I haven't noticed this. Interesting.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
kperalta, with a few of us posting that we DON'T notice increased engine braking with Econ ON, maybe you should have your car checked out by a dealer to see what's going on with your car when you have Econ ON?

Rommy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan LX 6MT
Country flag
I personally haven't noticed this. Have others noticed this increased engine braking when Econ is ON?
Neither have I... I'm guessing either something is wrong with the car that is doing this, or it's all in his mind, lol. Both of my civics with econ button did not have increased engine braking with econ button turned on.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I haven't noticed this at all when using ECON.
It may just be all in my mind. I looked the manual, but it didn't mention anything of the sort. It didn't go into much detail of how econ works though, and I couldn't find anything online about it. To me it feels as if it does have more engine braking. Even going down hills which I normally lose speed slowly its much worse. I'm averaging 45 plus mpg without so I think I'll stick with it off.

snbns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
I decided to turn of ECON mode last night for a half hour drive (mostly on highway). I got pretty much the same MPG with it off during this commute. However, I did notice that the engine is much more responsive and has more "oomf" when stepping on the gas pedal with the ECON mode off. I will have to do more driving with ECON off to see if really having it on saves gas or not.

Lahv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic
So, after turning on the Econ button, I notice that the car is just a little more sluggish, but still quite driveable. Is anyone else using the Econ setting and if so, are you seeing any better gas mileage?
I have notice a big difference in the engines performance when accelerating with the econ button turned on and that is because the econ is made to save the car gas when driving. That means it's going to adjust some parts of the engines fuel intake witch slows the cars performance when you push the gas peddle at high rpm. It definitely makes the car feel a little sluggish but that's normal. If you turn on your AC when the econ button is on the car will really have slow performance when taking off at a green light or when getting on the freeway. I usually turn the econ off when I'm getting on the freeway so that way I get the best horsepower out of my 2.0 liter engine. Once I'm on the freeway and in my lane I then turn the econ on. I never use the econ button when the AC is on or when driving in the city! Because AC always uses more gas and when driving around the city all that stop and go is going to wast gas regardless. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Ma_deuce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500, 2002 ZX2, 2017 Si Coupe
That sounds more like the cruise control slowing you down than anything ECON mode does.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That sounds more like the cruise control slowing you down than anything ECON mode does.
It was an ill perceived slow down, I've learned otherwise now but I still don't use econ much.
Sponsored