Just turned on Econ button...

MikeyDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
So, after turning on the Econ button, I notice that the car is just a little more sluggish, but still quite driveable. Is anyone else using the Econ setting and if so, are you seeing any better gas mileage?
Sponsored

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I haven't extensively tested it, but I too have noticed the car being a bit more sluggish with Econ mode enabled. However I haven't seen a significant jump in MPG with Econ enabled. In fact in some cases I get better MPG without Econ mode on.

amalgamate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I find that the ECON helps me quite a bit with mileage when using ACC on the freeway. The car tends to drink gas when using ACC on the freeway, especially when I go to pass another vehicle and the car is getting back up to cruising speed. ECON seems to even that out so that acceleration is more gradual vs. what can feel like flooring it to get back up to speed.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
The cruise control behavior is the main reason I keep Econ ON. It is really stupid that if you hit Resume on the cruise control, as amalgamate said, it seems to "floor it" to get back up to speed after slowing down with Econ OFF. With Econ ON, the cruise control very gradually resumes the set speed. It would actually be nice if the rate of the cruise control resuming could be adjusted, because to me, it is too slow with Econ ON, but much too fast with Econ OFF.

OP
OP

MikeyDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
The cruise control behavior is the main reason I keep Econ ON. It is really stupid that if you hit Resume on the cruise control, as amalgamate said, it seems to "floor it" to get back up to speed after slowing down with Econ OFF. With Econ ON, the cruise control very gradually resumes the set speed. It would actually be nice if the rate of the cruise control resuming could be adjusted, because to me, it is too slow with Econ ON, but much too fast with Econ OFF.
I notice when I accelerate from a traffic light, the status bar at the top stays green, even if I'm climbing a moderate hill. With ECON off, the status bar changes to white on a moderate hill.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
In my mothers CRV I actually get better MPG without Econ then with it.

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
I haven't played around with it yet. I do a fair amount of freeway driving but I don't use cruise, there's too much traffic for it to really be effective. I can see where ECON combined with cruise might make a MPG difference.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
So, after turning on the Econ button, I notice that the car is just a little more sluggish, but still quite driveable. Is anyone else using the Econ setting and if so, are you seeing any better gas mileage?

I haven't had our '16 long enough to have a good handle on this, but we have a 2014 Civic with 30k miles on it, CVT, Eco Button car. I've played around with ECO on and off, and frankly haven't noticed enough of a fuel economy difference to be meaningful. It does make the car a lot less responsive, though, so I just keep ECO off these days. Still getting good MPG. Maybe getting that extra 1 mpg will motivate me when gas doubles in price.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I've had some weird experiences with Eco on...

1) One time I decided to turn it on to see how sluggish it made the car... Hit the button, pressed the gas to the floor from a stop and then part way through the acceleration I felt the entire car studder... then check engine light came on. I was pissed and worried lol. Slowed down, went around a corner then lost all power to the engine. Pulled over, turned the car off then back on and its been fine since. Even with the ECO light on.

2) I don't notice any real MPG improvements. I actually get much better economy on the highway then I do in the city. If I'm going a reasonable speed with cruise on (maybe like 105kmh) I can and have easily averaged 50mpg without Eco on. No real improvements with it on at all.

jaboop35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
I'm having the same issue. I used my first tank on the Touring with the Econ off, and now on tank #2 with the Econ on, and the car definitely feels a lot more sluggish. Not terrible, but not the same as with it off. I haven't really been able to tell the MPG difference yet, but it appears to be about the same, so I may go with it off.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
My biggest issue with ECON is it went to all RECIRC all the time. So ECON went back off.

nhlducks35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
The Econ button doesn't really help with MPG because many people push the throttle harder to compensate

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ay-mpg-estimates-comparing-epa-figures-page-3

"And the Honda Insight’s econ mode—activated by a dash button and claimed to improve fuel economy—registered no effect, either. It relaxes throttle response, so the test driver simply compensates with additional throttle to achieve the required speeds."

Rommy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan LX 6MT
Country flag
The econ button functions primarily by softening the throttle response and lowering the power of the air conditioning. Keep in mind that the throttle on our cars is electronically controlled, "drive by wire". Not like the older cars that had a throttle cable. The car is more sluggish because the throttle response is softened, meaning you're using less gas by driving slower because you're not opening the throttle body as much. You may press the gas pedal the same amount but the throttle body opens less, so to get the same throttle response in econ mode you'd have to press the gas pedal more than normal. I use it primarily on the highway because I'm heavy on the gas sometimes, so I do see a bit better gas mileage. I do not like it on the street however as it is too sluggish, but I do have a manual transmission so that has something to do with it. In my 2015 Civic CVT I used econ mode always, throttle response was adequate for normal driving.

Tearhammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 6 speed LX Civic Blue, 2013 Chevy Sonic LT hatch
Try the 6 speed starting with Econ mode and brake hold. It's so weird like its fighting itself and I'm doing 55 kph in 5th. It's a lot of rowing every light. Don't find it super saving.
Sponsored