Just got oil dilution recall done at stealership...

peters239

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport MT
Country flag
So I don't know who else has gotten the fuel dilution bulletin/recall done yet but I figure I'd share my story and the reason I hate taking my cars to get worked on. I do everything myself unless its something really crazy and need a lift but with the recall Honda changes the oil but no filter included for free with it. Really your changing the oil but whatever. So beings I was almost up on an oil change I figured yeah I'll just pay for the filter and save alittle this oil change. Little did i know they charge to unscrew the old one and screw on the new one for $12 for 1 min of doing that. It says on paper work reset oil life. Got in my car and never reset it. No paper on the floor or seat to protect. Even the small two person garage a block away from my house does that. Last when I asked what the a/c control does to the fuel dilution because I just wanted to understand what Honda was trying to fix. They had no idea they just do what there told to do. I know not everyone can do simple mechanics or some really just shouldn't pick up a wrench but this is why i hate dealerships and there service. Lets just hope they actually did the other work ( a/c controller and reflash ecu) right.
Sponsored

SkyeSI

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI Coupe. 2018 JL Rubicon. 1988 K5 Blazer
Country flag
I second that! Hate everything about dealer "service". I'm the same as you, no one touches my vehicles unless I have to let them.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
No paper on the floor or seat to protect. Even the small two person garage a block away from my house does that.
That’s exactly why the small shop doesn’t do paperless oil changes: they are backwards and not woke enough to be environmentally conscious and save the trees like the global Honda corporation.
Soon, when you will not get a straw :crazy: at McDonalds, you will still be able to get it at some bigoted mom and pop store. ;)

Last edited:

loutamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I live in California and I keep checking Honda recall look up by the VIN number and so far no recall yet. Is this only for cold climate states?

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
That's savage. You'd think the dealer's service dept. would be able to answer your questions given it's a recall. In Canada at least the service managers should know enough about the recalls given Honda has sent customers recall letters that answer your questions. I imagine US customers also got a detailed letter.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
IIRC as per the recall the TCM will be replaced. Anyone know where the TCM is located? I imagine it's a circuit board encased in plastic housing of some kind.

I want to mark it with a permanent marker and see after the recall if it got replaced (i.e. there's a new component without the permanent marking I left). :D

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
So I don't know who else has gotten the fuel dilution bulletin/recall done yet but I figure I'd share my story and the reason I hate taking my cars to get worked on. I do everything myself unless its something really crazy and need a lift but with the recall Honda changes the oil but no filter included for free with it. Really your changing the oil but whatever. So beings I was almost up on an oil change I figured yeah I'll just pay for the filter and save alittle this oil change. Little did i know they charge to unscrew the old one and screw on the new one for $12 for 1 min of doing that. It says on paper work reset oil life. Got in my car and never reset it. No paper on the floor or seat to protect. Even the small two person garage a block away from my house does that. Last when I asked what the a/c control does to the fuel dilution because I just wanted to understand what Honda was trying to fix. They had no idea they just do what there told to do. I know not everyone can do simple mechanics or some really just shouldn't pick up a wrench but this is why i hate dealerships and there service. Lets just hope they actually did the other work ( a/c controller and reflash ecu) right.
I had a similar experience with the same bulletin/recall. My interior is ivory cloth, looked like they wiped their dirty hands on it. Black marks all over, muddy boot prints along the door. Oil life was not reset. They should have at least offered to change the oil filter, but they didn't.

OP
OP
peters239

peters239

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I live in California and I keep checking Honda recall look up by the VIN number and so far no recall yet. Is this only for cold climate states?
I m not sure but I know the colder climate states will get letters and fixed before warm states.

OP
OP
peters239

peters239

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some one on a Facebook group said they got the work done a few weeks ago and it didnt fix the problem. So I asked them if it was only a few weeks ago how would you even know unless you drive a ton. They said they only 500km a week so I know they are not from the state so my guess canada but they said they remote start their car a minimum of 30 minutes before driving. All i could think of is its canada so its really cold you remote start so the heat comes on full blast and the car never actually warms up for at least an hour every day. I dont think any DI motor would work great under those circumstances with fuel dilution but I could be wrong.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Excessive idling compounds the problem in cold weather.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That’s exactly why the small shop doesn’t do paperless oil changes: they are backwards and not woke enough to be environmentally conscious and save the trees like the global Honda corporation.
Soon, when you will not get a straw :crazy: at McDonalds, you will stil be able to get it at some bigoted mom and pop store. ;)
That's gotta be sarcasm

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Yes, it was completed Dec 31. Service Manager said that they had completed a lot of the updates including CRVs. The CRVs with remote start had the worst OD according to him in our area.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Some one on a Facebook group said they got the work done a few weeks ago and it didnt fix the problem. So I asked them if it was only a few weeks ago how would you even know unless you drive a ton. They said they only 500km a week so I know they are not from the state so my guess canada but they said they remote start their car a minimum of 30 minutes before driving. All i could think of is its canada so its really cold you remote start so the heat comes on full blast and the car never actually warms up for at least an hour every day. I dont think any DI motor would work great under those circumstances with fuel dilution but I could be wrong.
Idling for half an hour in the cold is pretty much the worst thing you can do in this car, no “fix” will work under those conditions. Idle until the revs drop then go using quality gas and full synthetic oil

You’ll be cold for 30 seconds, your car will be much better off. Unless you lease, then do whatever

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Yes, it was completed Dec 31. Service Manager said that they had completed a lot of the updates including CRVs. The CRVs with remote start had the worst OD according to him in our area.
Not surprised, remote start basically promotes longer idling - which is terrible for these engines.
Sponsored